Cultivated Reef

Are these Reef safe?

Noob_reefer

You might want to ask the company what they think, but here's something from their website:

Our hard ceramic ferrite magnets are composed of iron oxide and barium or strontium carbonate.

Wikipedia's entry on ferrite magnets says this:

Ferrite compounds are extremely low cost, being made of mostly rusted iron (iron oxide), and have excellent corrosion resistance.

Seems like a worthy experiment.  Corrosion seems unlikely.  The worst thing that happens if there is some corrosion is that you end up with a little more iron, barium or strontium in your water....probably wouldn't notice.

But again I might still ask them. 

Also, magnets that are actually intended to be used in a reef aren't THAT expensive.

I think you will find that they are not going to be strong enough anyway.  Personally I would only use Neodymium mags and then coated in resin or plastic.  Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

Oh alright.. Well I purchased 2 sets the plan was to glue them to a protein skimmer for my biocube 32. I tried with egg crate but kept running in to the problem of trying to move it higher or lower to get the water right. 

2 hours ago, Noob_reefer said:

Oh alright.. Well I purchased 2 sets the plan was to glue them to a protein skimmer for my biocube 32. I tried with egg crate but kept running in to the problem of trying to move it higher or lower to get the water right. 

Nanorox uses reef safe magnets for his reef rock products, so he knows what will and will not work.

@seabass what do you think about these magnets

49 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

@seabass what do you think about these magnets

I'm thinking that ceramic magnets are reef safe as is (I believe that Tunze uses them on their Comline skimmers).  However, neodymium magnets, which are more powerful for their size, must be completely sealed and waterproofed (usually with plastic).

• Like 3