Top Shelf Aquatics

Salt Mixes

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

I'm really not happy with how my Instant Ocean has been mixing with my tank, so I'm looking to go to a new brand.

What are some of the favorites of the hobby right now? I'm looking into Fritz or Red Sea, but I've seen they're not too consistent either. 

And also, when I do get the salt, how do I transfer over to the new mix? I do ~20% water changes every week. 

Thank you!

Brs rated tropic marin's pro reef as their top pick. During their testing it mixed the cleanest(no brown red build up on their container like others did) quicker, and stored water did not degrade over 3 weeks. As well as it was most consistent for throughout the bucket for nutrient levels (given that even the worst only had a 6?% percent difference if I remember right).

That said, personally i use instant ocean reef cause it's cheap and usable and haven't had issues. Just clean up my mixing bucket every other week so I dont get that brown build up

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rijodan said:

Brs rated tropic marin's pro reef as their top pick. During their testing it mixed the cleanest(no brown red build up on their container like others did) quicker, and stored water did not degrade over 3 weeks. As well as it was most consistent for throughout the bucket for nutrient levels (given that even the worst only had a 6?% percent difference if I remember right).

That said, personally i use instant ocean reef cause it's cheap and usable and haven't had issues. Just clean up my mixing bucket every other week so I dont get that brown build up

OOF yes that is very pricy. 

Hm.. I am just using the regular IO (purple), so they probably keep their calcium and magnesium right at the extremes of the ranges so that you switch to reef. This being said, I may just switch over to the IO reef first..

Do you think my storage could be a problem? I use one of these lined with a white garbage bag: 

image.png.c717ee0979a2ab5f1dddce8e7bb06e35.png

Tropic Marin is supposed to be a good quality salt. I have 2 buckets waiting to be used.  Ill be switching from another BRS recommended salt, HWMarinemix Reefer. HW mixed crystal clear and I love it. However, It is shipped in a 160gal box instead of a bucket (with my bad back I need to switch, buckets are easier for me). 

I use instant ocean for my fish quarantine because is cheaper. But it just doesnt mix like the HW salt. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Do you think my storage could be a problem? I use one of these lined with a white garbage bag: 

image.png.c717ee0979a2ab5f1dddce8e7bb06e35.png

Im not 100% the plastic container is safe, I imagine it is. But what kind of trash bags are you using? I know my trash bags are infused with some sort of fragrance. Not sure if it is a chemical or could even rub off. Not sure I would line a salt container with one just incase. Idk tho

For mixing I just use a old 5gal bucket that salt came in. Most on hobby I've seen use rubbermaid brute trashcans as they are food safe and wont leach toxins into water. They sell a small 20gal for 20ish bucks online and 25 at home depot. Strong, safe and easily found.

Anything food safe will be fine. Anything else you're leaving to chanve and for as cheap as using an old salt bucket or 20 for the brute do you want to roll the dice on your water? 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Im not 100% the plastic container is safe, I imagine it is. But what kind of trash bags are you using? I know my trash bags are infused with some sort of fragrance. Not sure if it is a chemical or could even rub off. Not sure I would line a salt container with one just incase. Idk tho

No, no fragrance that I know of. I'm almost 100% it's this: https://www.bjs.com/product/berkley-jensen-13-gal-09mil-drawstring-kitchen-bags-150-ct/3000000000000151799

Which says the only material is polyethylene. Regardless, I'll probably end up just getting a bag of salt, keeping it in the bag, and putting it in the cat litter container. Voila!

• Like 1

I like red sea blue bucket but it's kind of expensive for my big tank so I honestly swapped to instant ocean. The only thing I dislike about IO is having to clean the mixing bucket.

I believe fritz does not store well so you would need to mix it and use it.

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I like red sea blue bucket but it's kind of expensive for my big tank so I honestly swapped to instant ocean. The only thing I dislike about IO is having to clean the mixing bucket.

I believe fritz does not store well so you would need to mix it and use it.

Great 🙂 thank you! I ordered some IO reef crystal that should be here tomorrow... hopefully.. cause it's waterchange day!

I crashed my tank bc of tropic marin salt.  It mixed at a super low alk level and I didnt check before I did my 50 percent wc 🤦‍♂️.well I was new so once my corals looked bad and I had confirmed the alk dropped  I raised the alk back up WAY to fast so I guess you could say that I "crashed" my tank. 

did some googling and a lot of people have had that problem with that brand through the years.. 

• Wow 1

My IO Reef Crystals have been alright. I do clean the bucket often to keep anything from building up. Mine has always mixed a bit on the high side for Alk in comparison to Ca. I get around 420 calcium and 10 alk. I'm able to maintain those levels with just dosing 1.2ml of Tropic Marin AFR.

43 minutes ago, Steemax said:

My IO Reef Crystals have been alright. I do clean the bucket often to keep anything from building up. Mine has always mixed a bit on the high side for Alk in comparison to Ca. I get around 420 calcium and 10 alk. I'm able to maintain those levels with just dosing 1.2ml of Tropic Marin AFR.

I just got my bag today! But I'm really starting to wonder if my tests have run their course--at 35 salinity, it tested: 

Mg 1350

ph 8.2

Calcium 400

Alk 12

2 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

I just got my bag today! But I'm really starting to wonder if my tests have run their course--at 35 salinity, it tested: 

Mg 1350

ph 8.2

Calcium 400

Alk 12

Damn that's some high Alk... I've gone through two boxes and one bag and thus far I haven't seen anything higher than 11. 

2 minutes ago, Steemax said:

Damn that's some high Alk... I've gone through two boxes and one bag and thus far I haven't seen anything higher than 11. 

I know!!!! 😞 I'm thinking about getting the Hanna tester.. Good thing my tank has been running around ~11 with the regular IO

I used AccuraSea1 by TwoLittleFishies and its decent. The only thing I didnt like about it was the pH being lower than I like, it stay around 8. I used H2Ocean by D-D when I first started the hobby in 2008. I liked it didnt really have any issues. Dont know about any current issues with it. I just switched back to it so I guess I'll find out.

I just mixed a 4 gallon batch of iorc monday

Sal: 35ppt

Ca: 480

Alk: 11.8

Mg: 1600

Salinity tested with freshly calibrated refractometer

All other tests red sea with kitsch expiring in 6/20

Normal levels in my tank for past 3 months are, 

Sal 35ppt

Ca 420-430

Alk 8.0-8.4

Mg 1500-1560