Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Waterbox 10 filtration media question

tshutler

Hello all,

Im new to the nano reef community and have been reefing for several years but in the past year decided to go nano since we live in a small highrise apt now. Ive had my tank up for several months and am currently battling dinos. hopefully that battle is over soon enough. But in the meantime im just curiojus what kind of filtration media people have been using with the nano AIO tanks. I have the eshopps nano skimmer and use filter socks and am using some chemipure nano. but I feel like there are better options. any advice?

I use only filter floss and seachem carbon.

If you are suffering from dino's you want to use no phosphate reducers, get your nutrients up, and add biodiversity like pods.

ok thanks, im going to pull the chemi pure out and probably just switch to carbon only. But in the future what are your thoughts on Purigen? ive heard of people using that and carbon. I understand that wont help my dino problem now though.

Alright thanks. I had chem Pure Nano in the tank. Took it out and along with a few other measures I seem to be getting my Dino’s back in control. I just didn’t have enough nitrates and phosphates in my system. I think just carbon for now and later on if I need something like chemipure or purigen I may reconsider adding it back. 

still learning how to adapt to the Nano world lol. I absolutely love it though!

3 hours ago, tshutler said:

Alright thanks. I had chem Pure Nano in the tank. Took it out and along with a few other measures I seem to be getting my Dino’s back in control. I just didn’t have enough nitrates and phosphates in my system. I think just carbon for now and later on if I need something like chemipure or purigen I may reconsider adding it back. 

still learning how to adapt to the Nano world lol. I absolutely love it though!

Using floss is fine. All it does is trap detritus which in an all in one is preferable or else it just builds in the back chambers.

Using plain carbon is fine too as it reduces toxins.

You want to refrain from using phos and nitrate reducers like purigen which can reduce/strip a tank quickly of available nutrients.

Yes that’s exactly what I figured out. I overdid it and stripped all the nutrients. So I’m slowly getting it back under control and am working to bring the nutrients back up to a healthy level.