Innovative Marine Aquariums

Snail ID Please?

UpsideDownPumpkin

UpsideDownPumpkin

So today I went in and asked for suitable snails for my 20g as the tanks in my LFS are mixed and it’s hard for me to know what is what. They also don’t use Latin names so googling gives me a bit of a mixed result, especially with there being many more fresh water snails. Anyway, I’ve ID’d the other two as a trocus and a banded trocus respectively but the third I’m unsure. Boy in the shop said that’s it’s full size and it’s peaceful and he said he thought it was a marble snail. However when I google that, it only brings up conical snails and this one isn’t conical, it’s round in a short style like a nerite. I’m inclined to believe the peaceful bit as the bigger trocus has climbed all over it. The best way I can describe the pattern is like that of a leopard cowrie.

I’m not normally one to buy without ID but I’m running to Red Sea’s tank maturation schedule and the only other snails they had were massive. I think I went between the weekend rush and the delivery day.

Any help before I acclimatise it and put it in the tank? Thank you!

62222551-9B4C-43BE-8657-F574CE703270.jpeg

49D56C25-94C9-44A3-8057-7E104A735EC7.jpeg

E8F7698F-8136-40BC-AD6C-AF41F7ACC2BA.jpeg

Interesting snail. At first I am thinking it is a whelk with the dark colored/patterned “snout” but I'm not so sure. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to help. 

UpsideDownPumpkin
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

any chance of getting a clear photo of the foot?

He’s put it away at the moment. I think he only got it out when I was moving him around out of the bag and into the bucket. I’ll see if he’ll let me move him a little and if he’ll poke it out again.

Just now, UpsideDownPumpkin said:

He’s put it away at the moment. I think he only got it out when I was moving him around out of the bag and into the bucket. I’ll see if he’ll let me move him a little and if he’ll poke it out again.

Rather than poke it, place it in a glass with some water, should be able to get a good photo that way. Also will protect you incase it is a predatory snail/whelk 

UpsideDownPumpkin
Just now, Ratvan said:

Rather than poke it, place it in a glass with some water, should be able to get a good photo that way. Also will protect you incase it is a predatory snail/whelk 

He let me move him without a fuss, he doesn’t seem to cling onto surfaces as much as my nerites/the two trocus ones do. It seems foot comes out first then he relaxes and the foot goes back in and the rest of him comes out. He’s doesn’t seem all that interested in exploring, he’s been sitting still pretty much where I placed him in the bucket while he’s acclimatising.

• Like 1
UpsideDownPumpkin
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I mean this type of picture of the foot, my bad was not clear

download.jpg.8884dae1ecc8c5c69df5991775007bd7.jpg

Ah, ok, he’s in a clear jug now just waiting for him to settle. I’m a bit concerned because he seems to be falling over quite a bit. He wasn’t suckered onto the bag when I got him and he’s not putting up any fight at all when I pick him up. He’s barely bothering to cling onto bottom of the jug. I’ve not had marine snails before (first SW tank) but in fresh water snails, that means they’re dying...

• Like 1
UpsideDownPumpkin
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Looks like a Leopard Nassarius (Babylonia Snail) in my opinion 

Given that a google and I have to agree, it’s just darker/less orange than most of the pictures. I’ve decided, based on other’s experience keeping them, I’m going to put him in. Hopefully he won’t be any worse of a danger than say a hermit crab would be to my two other snails, if I keep him fed. If he does turn out to be homicidal then I may keep him and only him in the future. 

The other two are on the rock right now so if I put him on the sand bed, hopefully he’ll bury himself without noticing them. 

• Like 1