Cultivated Reef

Sharps Container as ATO Reservoir?

Mike00726

I was looking for a container for a for an ATO reservoir, and it has been surprisingly difficult to find something that would work for me. I needed something a certain size and shape, and I didn’t want to pay $80-$100.

I came across a sharps container and I am thinking this might be a brilliant solution, not just for me, but for a lot of people. It is watertight, it is the right size for my nano (2 gallons), it has an opening in the top that is sealable but allows for tubing, and it is inexpensive, ($8) on Amazon.

There are a ton of different shapes and sizes of these online, and they all are cheap. Does anyone see why we couldn’t use these?

3UTE7_AS01.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, Mike00726 said:

Yup, was afraid of that. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks 

A lot of people use food storage containers for ATO Container as they're food safe. Does the bottom of the sharps container have a plastic mark (Recycle symbol) 

I went with this... https://www.amazon.com/2-5-Gallon-Natural-F-Style-Plastic/dp/B07T92ZGZM/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=2.5+gallon+jug&qid=1581447748&sr=8-4

Food grade and BPA free for that reason. Looks like it has similar dimensions to the sharp box and has capacity measurements on it. 

The only ATO pump I can confirm that fits in it is the Xp Duetto... pretty sure they all use the same size pump and should be fine. 

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Sharps Container as ATO Reservoir?