ReefCleaners.org

Dying bottom dwellers

Brett C

So I’m really at a loss here as to what’s happening. I’ve had two fish killed and eaten now. A sleeper goby and a scooter blenny. Both acclimated perfectly, the goby dug our a burrow the blenny found a niche in a rock he frequented. Both eating good and no signs of issues. The goby was the first to go. Fed him one evening, the next day I couldn’t find him, the day after I find a skeleton. Got the blenny a few days later. Watched him chasing pods and fed him some mysis, yesterday I couldn’t find him, today I find the bones. And idk what could be eating them. Have a clown fish, a royal gramma, a fire fish, cleaner shrimp, handful of little snails, and a serpent star. Now I will say I found both bone piles over in the corner where the serpent star stays at. Could he be the culprit? I was told they was peaceful and reef safe and never thought twice. But I really want a little sand dwelling fish but I don’t want them to keep getting preyed on. Any help or opinions would be appreciated before I spend more money or send another fish to their death. Really want to get another but not if I can’t get this solved

• Sad 2
35 minutes ago, Brett C said:

So I’m really at a loss here as to what’s happening. I’ve had two fish killed and eaten now. A sleeper goby and a scooter blenny. Both acclimated perfectly, the goby dug our a burrow the blenny found a niche in a rock he frequented. Both eating good and no signs of issues. The goby was the first to go. Fed him one evening, the next day I couldn’t find him, the day after I find a skeleton. Got the blenny a few days later. Watched him chasing pods and fed him some mysis, yesterday I couldn’t find him, today I find the bones. And idk what could be eating them. Have a clown fish, a royal gramma, a fire fish, cleaner shrimp, handful of little snails, and a serpent star. Now I will say I found both bone piles over in the corner where the serpent star stays at. Could he be the culprit? I was told they was peaceful and reef safe and never thought twice. But I really want a little sand dwelling fish but I don’t want them to keep getting preyed on. Any help or opinions would be appreciated before I spend more money or send another fish to their death. Really want to get another but not if I can’t get this solved

Serpent stars are killers...... Sorry about your fish. 

• Like 2

Been MIA the last week but yes I did finally place blame on the serpent star. I think I’m gonna stay away from the bottom dwellers for now because I do like watching the star. LFS says I can trade him back in at any time so may make a change later on