inTank Media Baskets

RO ozonated versus carbon filtered water

Gakarl100

So back in the day before I got a rodi unit I used to buy RO ozonated water for my nano a decade ago. Actually it worked out well never had issues. I don’t have a rodi filter anymore and thought in the mean time until I get one I might use RO ozonated water again. I also noticed they carry RO carbon filtered water at the store. Now anyone have any reasons not to use either of these?  Leaning toward the RO ozonated since that’s what I used previously with no issues but figured I’d check before doing so this time and if you all think ozonated might be better than carbon filtered RO. Or is that a bad idea all together...?

I'm not an expert, so wait for others to chime in, but I'm not sure what adding ozone to the water does for it, and running it through carbon seems redundant. But as I said I'm no expert. Most folks recommend distilled water from the grocery store if that is available. If you've used something in he past and it worked for you then I'd say go for it. You could pick up a TDS meter to test the waters to help you make your decision

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm not an expert, so wait for others to chime in, but I'm not sure what adding ozone to the water does for it, and running it through carbon seems redundant. But as I said I'm no expert. Most folks recommend distilled water from the grocery store if that is available. If you've used something in he past and it worked for you then I'd say go for it. You could pick up a TDS meter to test the waters to help you make your decision

Distilled - good to know, thanks!  I prefer to make my own saltwater since cheaper than buying the premade salt water from LFS.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Distilled is the better option. It's pure water whereas RO still has tds etc in it. RO great for drinking but still not pure.

Thanks!  Then whats different with RODI?

16 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

Thanks!  Then whats different with RODI?

The DI portion of it is what filters out everything, without the DI resin there is still tds levels and other things in the water

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DI = deioninzing resin

In a nutshell they are plastic beads that carry a strong enough electrical charge to bind remaining ions out of 90% pure RO water to make it 99.9% pure H2O.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion-exchange_resin

Not good for drinking.

RO+ozone+activated carbon = purified+sanitized+deodorized and deflavorized.

Should be good for drinking!   Some folks even add a +calcium carbonate stage at the very end to add in some minerals for better flavor and normalize the pH for better mouth feel.  😉

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

When RO water is held in an unpressurized vessel Ozone can be used to bubble inside the tank and keep it bacteria free.  A post carbon filter can remove residual ozone before use to aid in taste and odor removal.  I build whole House Reverse Osmosis systems and use an ozone generator for this purpose.  Also occasionally we will use ozone before the RO to oxidize the water to aid in removal of minerals like arsenic.  a3(Arsenite) Has to be oxidized to a5(arsenate) in order to be removed by RO(or other filtration methods).  

• Thanks 1