Cultivated Reef

Odd Coloring for GSP?

Brett C

So I bought some pods and snails and stuff from aquarium depot last week. And everything was great. And just for the heck of it I decided to get a frag of GSP because well, it was $10 and it wasn’t the worst thing I had spent $10 that day. Now I wasn’t expecting the frag to come in looking like the stock photo they used. But it seems odd to me the way it looks. Part of it is green and part is pale, like even they same little polyp some of the arms are green and some not or part of the arm is green and part isn’t. Is it something that will eventually color up? Or should I just expect a mix? Doesn’t bother me at all but didn’t want it to be something I’m doing wrong cause the color to do that. All my other corals are doing great and the GSP is always out and full, just not all that green.

253CF830-417A-4C7A-833D-5927AD1A09F2.jpeg

growsomething

People say there are pink and purple color morphs of gsp, and that they were more common in the past. Just what I've read, never seen any. Maybe there is a pathology I don't know about.  Google pink gsp.  I would buy some for my back wall if it were available. 

Pink gsp is just usualy called an entrusting gorgonia green gsp is very closely related I have some pink and some green kina want them to grow together 😋 The green ones come in a few shades. The one I have is a darker slightly more foresty green but still prety bright. It Also comes in a metalic green and difrent colors can sometimes have a white dot in the center. There is a branching green variety that is a very bright green the mat is typically a lighter purple. IT FORMS TUBES AND BRANCHES LIKE A TRUE GORGONIA ITS COOL. but the other varieties can also have lighter and darker mat variations. Yours looks kinda like mine did when I first got it from a friend it was a frag that wasnt getting g too much light. The green should PROBLY develop more over time shipping stress could have caused it to loose color. Then again some are just more green than others.