Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Excited!!! Diving in with a Red Sea Reefer

Robbo09

Im soo excited. My new reefer comes Wednesday and i can not wait.

alot of work to be done though, i have to close down my red sea 130d tank and biggest of task decide what equipment i will be running.

A little out of touch with all things fishy so any advice would be great.

Wish me luck !!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Robbo09 said:

Im soo excited. My new reefer comes Wednesday and i can not wait.

alot of work to be done though, i have to close down my red sea 130d tank and biggest of task decide what equipment i will be running.

A little out of touch with all things fishy so any advice would be great.

Wish me luck !!

Good luck, what tank you going for?

i thought id do a little more of a write up of why im shutting down my 130D and move to the reefer 170.

i started my 130D about 6 years ago, i loved the look and that everything was built in so i couldn't get equipment wrong. i was so naive.

12 month from starting, the stock skimmer broke little later a pump broke. i replaced it with the tunze 9001 and media basket. eventually upgraded the one pump. i had the lights repaired twice too.

this tank over 6 years had battles cyno, hair algae and gorilla crabs. still struggle with algae. 

the tank now only has a clown fish and clean up crew with a forest of kenyan trees.

i was going to give the tank another go and retro fit leds and a sump etc until i did the math and the retro leds would be costly and i have no idea about sumps. i them had to idea to use my skill and design/3d a custom hood to fit the newly bought TMC V2 iLumenAir from my lfc as they was selling them off.

they showed me the reefer 170 and i fell in love and swift came to the conclusion is im going to do it again lets do it with a new tank !!!!

in honour of the 130D there is one of the photos i can find in its prime.

FB_IMG_1581355693188.jpg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

If it was all stock was actually thinking seahorse tank

oh there is only kenyan trees

good idea!!! , my girlfriend was 100% against the eel tank

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I didn't think I would, but I actually really like that Marble finish. Very different from whats "the norm"

i know what you mean, i think you have to have the right colors in the room for it

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
mitten_reef
6 minutes ago, Robbo09 said:

Which rock set up ??? :s

IMG-20200306-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20200306-WA0002.jpeg

1!  
I never liked the branch rock sideways, personally - can’t think of one that executed it well.  Setting in 45 angle or vertical looked nicer. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 1:43 PM, Robbo09 said:

Finally all plumbed in !!!

15817741984731485074935305383961.jpg

Hi Robbo,

I'm about to purchase a Red Sea Reefer 170 and can't make up my mind between the marble or white! Is the marble a matt look and feel? I can't find any examples in the shops to look at.:-)

Funny too, I had the 130D and looked a lot like your photo. I gave up and went back to planted tropical! This will be my 2nd attempt at a reef 5+ years after that failure! But I think the 130D was just rubbish and made it difficult. At least with the 170 you can choose your own equipment etc. No more strip lights and dodgy pumps and skimmers that were always breaking. 😉

What sort of other equipment are you planning to use?

Cheers

Will.