Coral Vue Hydros

RedCrow's Xenia Swamp Jar - 365 Challenge

RedCrow

9 minutes ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Looking good! Haha glad you didn't come home to a tank on fire🔥

That would’ve ended my entry pretty quickly 😅

• Haha 2
57 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

man that was a close call. so is there a fail safe on that heater you used?

You know, I’m not sure if it’s designed that way, or if I just got lucky.. also I don’t know how long it had been exposed. It could’ve been ten minutes and it could’ve been 10 hours. The water hadn’t gotten much colder, so I don’t imagine it was that way for very long 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The jar moved out to the spot the other pico used to be sitting

55yQXlF.jpg

The corals are healthy, but I'm not getting the growth I was hoping for. may start ghost feeding to get nutrient levels up

K6sJs1W.jpg

S50Ra83.jpg

• Like 3

Ohh I'm really liking how this is turning out! I had an old 200 watt heater explode in my hands once, when I was just starting at 14, I wasn't aware that it was plugged in and lifted it out of the water to check something. It exploded and the coils burned my hand pretty badly and sent big shards of glass everywhere. Luckily the tank didn't have anything alive in it.The tiny aqueon heaters seem to do quite well for me though and my only issue was after 5 years using them my cheap Walmart one leaked internally a bit and just stopped working. 

• Like 1

@Lyptothank you! 
I had one of those Walmart ones blow up once; completely shattered the tank it was in and killed everything inside. I usually go titanium now, but took a chance with this one and so far it’s been good 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Good morning how are you? I hope you are well. Been awhile since you gave a tank update. I am curious how it is doing.

Yeah I’ve been very poor at keeping this thread updated. Jar is still going, but not much has changed. I’ll get a real update together in the next couple days 

• Like 2

Okay time for an update.. 

Been deep in a home renovation project since January, so quarantine has been extremely busy for me haha. I'm finally nearing the end though, so soon my tanks will be getting the attention they deserve. Enough excuse! time for the update:

The pump got upgraded to an MJ mini 606 dialed back to 50%. I also turned the light down from 100% to 70% as things seemed to be doing a bit better out of the direct light.

I've been kind of running this tank as a bit of an experiment over the last month to see how hands off I could be without things dying. I haven't checked any levels; no temp, no salinity, nothing. There has been two 100% water changes, but both of them were recycled water from the other tank. Normally I'd think of this as an abusive experiment, but since there are no animals with brains or nervous systems, I think its okay. 

The results are in:

Green Star Polyps

x1wfwTN.jpg

Kind of liking it!

The polyps are small and slightly bleached, but growth has really taken off in the last two weeks. I think polyp size and color are due to the mat being in pretty direct light. Most GSP don't receive this much PAR. Over all decent results.

Xenia

ibo5O1F.jpg

Effing PISSED

The hate it. They've continued to slowly grow, but they look miserable. The flow was changed slightly, and that made them even more mad. Xenia sure doesn't like change.

JJH92n2.jpg

April Full Tank Shot

gnc8ZpM.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Aqua Splendor

Not sure to follow, but did you any Air exchange is SUPER important to have gaz exchange and I see your lid covering the whole thing.

12 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Dang! What happened? 

My AC went out, and so the temperature approached the 90s for several days. I’m basically keeping the bacteria alive until I can get the temperature back under control 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, RedCrow said:

My AC went out, and so the temperature approached the 90s for several days. I’m basically keeping the bacteria alive until I can get the temperature back under control 

aww bummer... I had a heater fail and get my 25g into the 90's and lost a few things... probably would have lost everything if I didn't catch it early.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

History of the jar so far:

Early success, good growth right off the bat

Lockdown begins, access to supplies becomes difficult, routine maintenance becomes more spread out and rationed. Growth slows.

Life got crazy, jar gets de-prioritized

My AC breaks down, sending my house over 90 degrees for several weeks

Moved the jar to my office, but dinos got a foothold, and took over the entire jar

That brings us to today. I'm engaged in the long battle against dinos. Things are moving in the right direction, albeit more slowly than I'd like haha.

MBoYTBQ.jpg

Star polyps looking rough, but they're on the mend

57NjyVM.jpg

Only one xenia polyp survived

Mq175hb.jpg?1

My goby pair in my other pico got into a dispute, and decided they didn't want to be a pair anymore. The female kicked the male out of the burrow, and sing the tank is only four gallons, he had nowhere to go. So for the time being, he's the sole resident of the jar.

Jxxd9Ji.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...