Jump to content
GtownSalty

365 day challenge - First timer Flower Power????

Recommended Posts

Hansentyspy

Anybody else already spend more on corals than they did on their tank setup? 😂

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
devaji108
1 hour ago, Hansentyspy said:

Anybody else already spend more on corals than they did on their tank setup? 😂

easy to do in this hobby...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Snow_Phoenix
1 hour ago, Hansentyspy said:

Anybody else already spend more on corals than they did on their tank setup? 😂

:ninja:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
9 hours ago, Hansentyspy said:

Anybody else already spend more on corals than they did on their tank setup? 😂

😇

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
GtownSalty
11 hours ago, Hansentyspy said:

Anybody else already spend more on corals than they did on their tank setup? 😂

I think I am 50/50 at this point let me do a little list 

 

75 Tank 

13 heater 

24 extra lights 

116 ato 

25 new pump 

21 rfg not using.....

23 ink bird controller 

20 wifi plugs so lights could be timed 

25 TunzeATo that did not work in this tank 

25 other misc things jug powers trip ect

 

347 supplies

 

Coral

40 on a raffle that netted 300 in RFAs

150 at frag swap

 

190 coral BUT that was lucky with the raffle win

 

Fish

8 domino damsel

5 clown goby

25 banded shrimp

20 coral banded shrimp

10 misc snail and crab

 

68 fish

 

So technically I have not spent more on coral yet. Once I get this little guy more dialed in that will change quickly! 

 

Oh man no one should ever have to do this! This was not fun then...I  look up and watch that silly jerk damsel with his little mohawk dart all over the tank and I say WORTH IT! 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

How did you manage to find this tank for $75? I need to learn to shop better. No wonder I never have money for corals. I paid $109. = tax

Share this post


Link to post
devaji108
1 hour ago, GtownSalty said:

I think I am 50/50 at this point let me do a little list 

 

75 Tank 

13 heater 

24 extra lights 

116 ato 

25 new pump 

21 rfg not using.....

23 ink bird controller 

20 wifi plugs so lights could be timed 

25 TunzeATo that did not work in this tank 

25 other misc things jug powers trip ect

 

347 supplies

 

Coral

40 on a raffle that netted 300 in RFAs

150 at frag swap

 

190 coral BUT that was lucky with the raffle win

 

Fish

8 domino damsel

5 clown goby

25 banded shrimp

20 coral banded shrimp

10 misc snail and crab

 

68 fish

 

So technically I have not spent more on coral yet. Once I get this little guy more dialed in that will change quickly! 

 

Oh man no one should ever have to do this! This was not fun then...I  look up and watch that silly jerk damsel with his little mohawk dart all over the tank and I say WORTH IT! 

 

 

 

 

I was gonna say we never want to do a list like that.. sometimes it's better not to know... haha  with the raffle you came out good. I spend $400 on 20 RFA...  

 

Share this post


Link to post
GtownSalty
25 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

How did you manage to find this tank for $75? I need to learn to shop better. No wonder I never have money for corals. I paid $109. = tax

FB market place literally new in box.

 

As for my unhappy flower the one I was most worried about looks 95% better today. I of course forgot my salinty checker at home. I had an employee celebrating 3 years so in my rush to get balloons ect I walked out with out it. But I will take a sample with me when I leave today and check at lfs to see if we are making ground I would certainly hope to be MUCH closer to 1.025. If the way more open flowers are an indicator I would say we are going in the right direction.  I love this little XP Duetto it is a big bigger than I expected on the inside, but it works great and I had just enough room for it. 

 

Below is a little picture of my control center  LOL

How do I not feed this begger (Damsel) every single day

The strech on the goni!

But some how I think I got the ugly side of the tank. Ugly is a harsh word lol there is no "real" bad side but I will be glad to get it dialed in and add more RFA. I still suck at pictures!

20200306_110407.thumb.jpg.6d530724c3b23153faa231bbe0c62e43.jpg20200306_110334.thumb.jpg.dc72e9c5dd2088b6a46a137b083f0892.jpg20200306_110457.thumb.jpg.52d9e788c6a4fa52c74cd383a1441300.jpg

 

20200306_105827.jpg

12 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

 

I was gonna say we never want to do a list like that.. sometimes it's better not to know... haha  with the raffle you came out good. I spend $400 on 20 RFA...  

 

Did you order from that guy on FB?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
devaji108
13 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

FB market place literally new in box.

 

As for my unhappy flower the one I was most worried about looks 95% better today. I of course forgot my salinty checker at home. I had an employee celebrating 3 years so in my rush to get balloons ect I walked out with out it. But I will take a sample with me when I leave today and check at lfs to see if we are making ground I would certainly hope to be MUCH closer to 1.025. If the way more open flowers are an indicator I would say we are going in the right direction.  I love this little XP Duetto it is a big bigger than I expected on the inside, but it works great and I had just enough room for it. 

 

Below is a little picture of my control center  LOL

How do I not feed this begger (Damsel) every single day

The strech on the goni!

But some how I think I got the ugly side of the tank. Ugly is a harsh word lol there is no "real" bad side but I will be glad to get it dialed in and add more RFA. I still suck at pictures!

20200306_110407.thumb.jpg.6d530724c3b23153faa231bbe0c62e43.jpg20200306_110334.thumb.jpg.dc72e9c5dd2088b6a46a137b083f0892.jpg20200306_110457.thumb.jpg.52d9e788c6a4fa52c74cd383a1441300.jpg

 

20200306_105827.jpg

Did you order from that guy on FB?

glad you like the ATO!

no I order these a few months back. but I am really thinking about a order from him tho.

that goni looks like it going great. another one of my fav. corals.  

Share this post


Link to post
NoOneLikesADryTang
38 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

glad you like the ATO!

no I order these a few months back. but I am really thinking about a order from him tho.

that goni looks like it going great. another one of my fav. corals.  

RJ (with Savage) is great to work with. I haven't ever ordered flowers from him, but his responsiveness is top notch. His live stock is good quality, and healthy. I've only had one shipment from him, but I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
GtownSalty
21 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

RJ (with Savage) is great to work with. I haven't ever ordered flowers from him, but his responsiveness is top notch. His live stock is good quality, and healthy. I've only had one shipment from him, but I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again. 

That is who I won 300 dollars store credit from and I got 12 flowers I think. I did loose 1 but all are looking great right now!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

If I read your spent to date correct you still have some money left on the gift card. Is that where you will get more flowers?

Share this post


Link to post
GtownSalty
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

If I read your spent to date correct you still have some money left on the gift card. Is that where you will get more flowers?

Oh no I spent that 300 on RFA 12 in my tank and I lost the 1 plus 5 from the local trade show. The rest now are doing much better. I will order from RJ again for sure everything went very well. I will sit on the load this tank has now for at least the next month. And then probably start getting more RFAs. I am excited to bring them their first frozen meal this weekend. I love to feed one good frozen meal a week at least and I like to do it about an hour before a water change. So I will come up feed them wait and hour and then do a 1 gallon water change. I did see one of the bigger ones grab a pellet today that piggy managed to miss.

 

My biggest problem is going to be not over feeding this tank I think.

 

@SeaFurn how often do you feed yours especially the smaller ones or maybe the ones you are babying?

Edited by GtownSalty

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

That's right at $25 each X 12 = $300. My tank arrived! No idea why I am so excited about it. Going to dig threw supplies for a heater. And stick an old thermometer that mounts on the glass on there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SeaFurn
25 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

Oh no I spent that 300 on RFA 12 in my tank and I lost the 1 plus 5 from the local trade show. The rest now are doing much better. I will order from RJ again for sure everything went very well. I will sit on the load this tank has now for at least the next month. And then probably start getting more RFAs. I am excited to bring them their first frozen meal this weekend. I love to feed one good frozen meal a week at least and I like to do it about an hour before a water change. So I will come up feed them wait and hour and then do a 1 gallon water change. I did see one of the bigger ones grab a pellet today that piggy managed to miss.

 

My biggest problem is going to be not over feeding this tank I think.

 

@SeaFurn how often do you feed yours especially the smaller ones or maybe the ones you are babying?

I spot feed the juveniles and babies once per week - pulverized mysis. The adults probably get enough from just feeding the fish daily but they do get a bonus every week when the pumps start up after feeding the babies and mysis particles start flowing around!  I do intentionally feed the adults more as it gets closer to spawning time.  The plan you stated above should work out fine. They don't need big chunks of frozen btw - that just makes them have long stringy poop. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Llobrao

Tank is looking nice!!! Following!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
GtownSalty

I came in to my favorite flower moving into my view!  It is the little things right! It is hard to capture correctly in pictures but it has these faint hues of pink and this beautiful yellow. It was one I asked for it specifically. I had not seen it after the first day and worried a bit it was the one I sucked out. But here she is after a tough weekend with a aspie teenager this was a bright light in my morning. I still suck a pictures but both are kind of accurate depending on light.

20200309_090522.jpg

20200309_090314.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

So great when they move where you can see them. Happy Day.

Share this post


Link to post
devaji108

yeah winning! it is the small things in life...

Share this post


Link to post
GtownSalty

Seriously I might need to rename this tank............. I just won again! Y'all sometimes when everything looks awful and scary you get a little bouquet of flowers! I jumped in a 10 spot raffle for 25 bucks and won 8 rock flowers. I could not help myself from entering I mean look at them these are the ones I won.

 

Also as a side note my silly domino damsel and my coral banded have a funny little relationship. I am not sure if they hate each other or they are friends but it is very funny to watch.

 

 

rock flower.PNG

  • Like 2
  • Wow 5

Share this post


Link to post
SeaFurn

Wow! I need some of your luck! 

Congratulations! Those are awesome RFAs! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
NoOneLikesADryTang

Dang!! Congrats... Those are some lookers! 

Share this post


Link to post
GraniteReefer
On 3/2/2020 at 9:41 AM, GtownSalty said:

So water ALL over my desk........................... WORST nightmare. I came up to the office to do a few things Sunday and of course check on the tank. I am still scared of an ATO failure and don't leave it on over the weekend I know not great for stability. I am trying to figure something out that does not give me anxiety. So back to the water everywhere, The level in the tank got to high and the little foot for the lid that hangs down was allowing water up out the top. I should say that he water was a not ATO failure it was mine! Thankfully I did not loose the laptop I only lost the docking port. Nothing else but a weeeee bit of damage to the desk which is a cheapy anyway. Part of why I went with such a small water volume. Of course everyone has moved some and I see even less now, but they are happy and I am thrilled the crisis was not that big. I have lowered the water level is display tank, and I ordered a plug timer that goes down to seconds. My plan is to only allow the ato on for a few seconds at a time. I tried the wifi plug but even letting it run for a minute it going to flood the tank if there is a failure.

 

On a side note everything looks great. I think I need to take this orange spot goby to LFS as he is just not happy in the tank and just came in way to big. They have some smaller yellow watchman gobies that might be better. 

 

I plan on doing some major reworking of cords this week to get better control of the tiny tiny area in the back. Cord control is not my best area so I am going to get this tankbuttoned up better.  

 

I hope everyone had a dry weekend

 

Check salinity in case you haven’t I’m sure it’s skewed if there was water loss

Share this post


Link to post
GtownSalty
17 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Check salinity in case you haven’t I’m sure it’s skewed if there was water loss

I did several days ago and you are right it was wonky. I Have it back up I took it slow getting it back up it was at 1.020........

Share this post


Link to post
GtownSalty

Tried to get some video of this little one deciding to come out from under the rock

 

But I can not figure out how to link it from insta 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...