Coral Vue Hydros

365 day challenge - First timer Flower Power????

GtownSalty

I am excited to go to the show this weekend and pick up rock flowers. I am questioning my lights I know the flowers do not need a ton,but wonder if I should do a bit more with a better light. My current crab never ever stops picking at the light dusting of diatoms I am getting. Doing a 50% water change this weekend, 1 gallon of water from my freshly changed cube and 1 gallon of new mix.  I am noticing temp is hard to regulate in this tank. I need to get another thermometer just be sure, but I noticed the temp this morning was around 77 and now mid day is 79-80. I am not a fan of that kind of swing. I have a little 50 watt heater in the tank. 

Any ideas or thoughts on better temp control? There is just not much space in the back and really really do not want anything in the display.

Diatoms are a normal thing in new tanks.  They'll go away over time.  It's not because of your light. That light should be fine for rock flowers.

Are you using a preset heater?

I definitely recommend using a temperature controller for your tank.  That takes the worry out of a heater getting stuck in the on position if it's thermostat goes out and cooks your tank.  It also brings some stability to the temperature as you can set the heater a little higher than normal and then the temp controllers basically turns the heater on and off as necessary.  The controller has it's own temperature probe - that you'd put in the back chamber. 

There will be some natural heat fluctuations with these smaller partially enclosed tanks - even if a heater wasn't in play. 

I have both a Finnex and Inkbird controller.  Both have worked perfectly.  

• Like 1

I will order a temp controller today, I am silly they are on all my tanks at home. I did not even think about for this little one.  Thank you for your reply, I am always questioning myself part of doing this tank was keep it simple stupid lol. Nothing super fancy just simply and pretty 

• Like 1

Well the tank is doing well. I ended up getting 4 wifi plugs and put all the essentials with them, ato, pump, and lights. The cobalt is strong and I mean almost to much I think. The heater I ended up with was this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M665MNN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I put it on an inkbird controller thanks to the reminder from @SeaFurn and it is working fantastic. I picked up 5 rock flowers, some cloves and a goni at the show. The rock flowers have found the most hidden spots to hang out and I can not even see them sitting at my desk 😩. I did WIN a raffle and 300 bucks in store credit from Savage reefer who has some stunning rock flowers so those should be here this week or next. I am very stressed about the gonis the first time I tried them was a couple years ago when almost none survived including mine. The guy I got these from assured me they were tank raised and hardier than the past stock. 

I did have a RFG on my tank but really think it was to much for this little tank. So I went back to stock output nozzle.  Cloves are funny little corals they seem kind of finicky with movement and light. I am guessing the are going to be a great indicator if something is wrong the tank. I have never ever had cloves, but the little pink and blue tips and bright green center sold me hard.  I spend to much of day watching my little crab go all over the tank. I had thought I wanted sexy shrimp in here, but I landed on something very different. I will post picture once they get in the tank.

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

The rock flowers have found the most hidden spots to hang out and I can not even see them sitting at my desk 😩

I hate it when they do this!!!!

You mentioned your current crab above. Did you get a porcelain crab? 

I caught my emerald crab with his claws deep inside the mouth of a rock flower I’m feeding back to health when I peeked into the tank before bed last night. I bet he’s been doing this for weeks now. 😡

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
4 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I hate it when they do this!!!!

You mentioned your current crab above. Did you get a porcelain crab? 

I caught my emerald crab with his claws deep inside the mouth of a rock flower I’m feeding back to health when I peeked into the tank before bed last night. I bet he’s been doing this for weeks now. 😡

Yeah I love emeralds but I feed the a little every night to prevent them from getting bad!

@GtownSalty, looking forward to pics!! 

• Like 2

Oh no! This is a little hermit crab I am hoping will be ok. He was model citizen in the biocube at home. I did want a porcelain crab, but I could not find one local. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GtownSalty said:

Well the tank is doing well. I ended up getting 4 wifi plugs and put all the essentials with them, ato, pump, and lights. The cobalt is strong and I mean almost to much I think. The heater I ended up with was this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M665MNN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I put it on an inkbird controller thanks to the reminder from @SeaFurn and it is working fantastic. I picked up 5 rock flowers, some cloves and a goni at the show. The rock flowers have found the most hidden spots to hang out and I can not even see them sitting at my desk 😩. I did WIN a raffle and 300 bucks in store credit from Savage reefer who has some stunning rock flowers so those should be here this week or next. I am very stressed about the gonis the first time I tried them was a couple years ago when almost none survived including mine. The guy I got these from assured me they were tank raised and hardier than the past stock. 

I did have a RFG on my tank but really think it was to much for this little tank. So I went back to stock output nozzle.  Cloves are funny little corals they seem kind of finicky with movement and light. I am guessing the are going to be a great indicator if something is wrong the tank. I have never ever had cloves, but the little pink and blue tips and bright green center sold me hard.  I spend to much of day watching my little crab go all over the tank. I had thought I wanted sexy shrimp in here, but I landed on something very different. I will post picture once they get in the tank.

nice score I am curious to see al you new goodies. as you know I love RFA.

• Like 1

I am NOT at all good with taking pictures of these creature. Here are just a couple of my favorites there are now 17 in the tank. I hoped that with this many it would seem full. The rest of the flower garden consists of a goni, cloves and a purple tipped hammer. The newest guys are a domino damsel who I think is just to stinkin cute, and a goby/shrimp pair not yet paired ....... The damsel will one day out grow this tank but I have a couple tanks at home he can move in to then. The shrimp has promptly stared creating his home and stirring up everything. Hopefully the goby will pair up soon with the shrimp.  Now at least for the next month or so it s on this tank. I have ordered a new ato swith that is much much smaller and hopefully fit in the back of this. For now I am filling up daily but would love for this to be automated.

20200227_125454.jpg

20200227_125600.jpg

20200227_125604.jpg

20200227_125636.jpg

• Like 7
1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

17! WOW - that's awesome!   The ones you posted look like nice ones!

Winning the 300 dollars in store credit went a LONG way in my stocking. I really love the stripped ones.

Nice score. another RFA lover and tank.

I think I just stoled  the flower power name. finally made my build thread.... for my RFA reboot sorry I'll think of  another name.   

1 hour ago, GtownSalty said:

Winning the 300 dollars in store credit went a LONG way in my stocking. I really love the stripped ones.

Those striped ones are really unique and stunning!

14 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Wow those flowers are beautiful. How about a FTS Please.

Sorry my photo skills are lacking but here is my side and the other side. We have run out of space in my office so I actually office in the break room. I think that side happens to be better and my employees love it!

I adore the little domino damsel he is really getting character. The hopeful pair is still single I had hoped for a bit of a smaller goby but he came in very large. I may need to trade out for a smaller guy. It is neat as I can sometime hear the shrimp snap under his rock( at least that is what I think I am hearing). He took up residence under the long low structure and to be honest it is a little small for the goby. And thank goodness for the top when I added the goby in his moment he took a great big header in the top of the tank. I really worried about him all day yesterday and last night but was happy to see him this morning and to see him actively go after food. It is water change day Yippie!

@banasophia I now that sand struggle LOL. I can not wait to see it all cleared up and your little gobies are to cute! I had never herd of KP aquatics I love to have a new vendor in my list.

@devaji108I need to see your 20. The 17 in here need to fill out I was envisioning more in mine I think.  I am sitting on my hand so to speak so I dont order more! 

SOMEONE TELL ME TO NOT ORDER MORE! LOL

20200228_080804.jpg

20200228_080903.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I know - it's so hard!  But..... 

Let those settle in and give yourself some time to get the nuance of the tank and get into a routine.   In a week or two the nems will be more relaxed and will flatten and spread out more.  

And then, after some time, ORDER MORE!!!!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I know - it's so hard!  But..... 

Let those settle in and give yourself some time to get the nuance of the tank and get into a routine.   In a week or two the nems will be more relaxed and will flatten and spread out more.  

And then, after some time, ORDER MORE!!!!  

You are so right! I think you are so right I need to settle down.

I have a few like 5 that I placed on a LR that really put there foot in to a hole and only stick out the size of a dime and others are 2" across.

as far as looking full peninsula are like that its the +/- of them more room for corals and themes on each side ot what not but it take more coral to full it up...

I am looking to order more the place I got mine is out. so if you run in to a good deal plz do share and i'll do the same.

*maybe if the coworkers love the tank you could set up a go fund me type of thing  for the tank it could be fun to get the office involved...until some buys "dori" for the tank to surprise you.    

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

I have a few like 5 that I placed on a LR that really put there foot in to a hole and only stick out the size of a dime and others are 2" across.

as far as looking full peninsula are like that its the +/- of them more room for corals and themes on each side ot what not but it take more coral to full it up...

I am looking to order more the place I got mine is out. so if you run in to a good deal plz do share and i'll do the same.

*maybe if the coworkers love the tank you could set up a go fund me type of thing  for the tank it could be fun to get the office involved...until some buys "dori" for the tank to surprise you.    

I was really happy with SavageReefers.com It seems pretty typical to pay about 25 bucks a piece for them at least what I can find. Is that what you are finding? Maybe I am not looking in the right places. My LFS are way more so online seems to be the way to go for me. I am the boss I can't let them fund the tank that would be cool, but I can't. Now if my bosses who are all MDs wanted to fund it I would say for sure! LOL I however did not ask permission to set it up LOL I asked for forgiveness. On the bright side they all like it.

• Like 2

Y'ALL what is this???? I thought is was hole inhis shell but something comes out of it. I cannot attach a video crud  EDIT my hubby just said it was barnacle so cool

20200228_103418.jpg

Edited by GtownSalty
Found answer
  • Like 2
39 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

I was really happy with SavageReefers.com It seems pretty typical to pay about 25 bucks a piece for them at least what I can find. Is that what you are finding? Maybe I am not looking in the right places. My LFS are way more so online seems to be the way to go for me. I am the boss I can't let them fund the tank that would be cool, but I can't. Now if my bosses who are all MDs wanted to fund it I would say for sure! LOL I however did not ask permission to set it up LOL I asked for forgiveness. On the bright side they all like it.

yeah that is what  I am finding to around $25 and up .

saltycritters has a bunch in, if they pick em' there $25 there shipping is priced good to.  but after you have a few you always is looking for colors you dont have or like then it gets $$$

i'll check out savagereefers..

• Like 1
3 hours ago, GtownSalty said:

@banasophia I now that sand struggle LOL. I can not wait to see it all cleared up and your little gobies are to cute! I had never herd of KP aquatics I love to have a new vendor in my list.

Thanks, yeah, still waiting on the sand to settle... that Samoa Pink is finer than I thought from looking at it in the bag, but it is a noticeable pink color which is nice. I never would have thought to order fish from KP Aquatics, but their pair came up when I was doing a search for “neon goby pair.”  I’ve ordered sponges and gorgonians from them in the past and definitely recommend them for those!

So water ALL over my desk........................... WORST nightmare. I came up to the office to do a few things Sunday and of course check on the tank. I am still scared of an ATO failure and don't leave it on over the weekend I know not great for stability. I am trying to figure something out that does not give me anxiety. So back to the water everywhere, The level in the tank got to high and the little foot for the lid that hangs down was allowing water up out the top. I should say that he water was a not ATO failure it was mine! Thankfully I did not loose the laptop I only lost the docking port. Nothing else but a weeeee bit of damage to the desk which is a cheapy anyway. Part of why I went with such a small water volume. Of course everyone has moved some and I see even less now, but they are happy and I am thrilled the crisis was not that big. I have lowered the water level is display tank, and I ordered a plug timer that goes down to seconds. My plan is to only allow the ato on for a few seconds at a time. I tried the wifi plug but even letting it run for a minute it going to flood the tank if there is a failure.

On a side note everything looks great. I think I need to take this orange spot goby to LFS as he is just not happy in the tank and just came in way to big. They have some smaller yellow watchman gobies that might be better. 

I plan on doing some major reworking of cords this week to get better control of the tiny tiny area in the back. Cord control is not my best area so I am going to get this tankbuttoned up better.  

I hope everyone had a dry weekend

• Like 1
  • Wow 1