SaltCritters.com

365 day challenge - First timer Flower Power????

GtownSalty

Hi there I stubled upon this challange and thought it was the PERFECT excuse for an office tank. I am playing with dryscape right now. Tank is not at my office yet. I want to get all the pieces together first then take it in. Is seeding from existing tanks ok?

So here is my entry into the challenge

Tank

Fluval Evo V

Pump

Cobalt 606

Heater

?

Lights

Stock + 2 blue led strips

Fliter area

Intank media basket with floss and cpe in the very bottom a bit of a block of marine pure 

ATO

Will be some sort of diy with the stock pump from the tank.

Stock will be flowery I hope

(Guys I am not very creative)

Rock flowers a plenty

Zoas

I may do a small torch or other euphilla to act as the "tree" in my flower garden.

Maybe a little piece of cyphastrea once I figure out how the light really is.

20200209_104441.jpg

20200209_104038.jpg

• Like 6

On a rainy Sunday with nothing I can do on the build. I am watching tank videos on youtube and scibbled this up. The tall green will be a euphyllia or maybe a candycane "tree". The circles will all be rock flowers. The end orange with be zoas I think, now that flowerpts are a bit more hardy I might add in one of those. 

The rock work has a fair amount of holes and ins and outs so I am thinking maybe a little blenny.  Anyone have ideas on a free swimming fish? 

20200209_155123.jpg

• Like 3

These tanks are awesome and I love how they come out of the woodwork during these challenges. 

I really love the scape. Are you leaving it bare bottom ? I feel like it would be BOMB bare bottom with RFA's across the bottom. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

These tanks are awesome and I love how they come out of the woodwork during these challenges. 

I really love the scape. Are you leaving it bare bottom ? I feel like it would be BOMB bare bottom with RFA's across the bottom. 

I have never done a bare bottom! That would certainly be a challenge for me. I will have to ponder that.

• Like 1

I think everything is here and ready to get wet this weekend. I ordered the random flow nozzle but it does not fit very well I will have to see how it does with the water pressure. I am getting the rocks prepped and a little seeded in my 90 gallon. There is a pretty big coral show on the 22nd a coupe hours away. I plan on hitting it pretty hard for my rock flowers. I am still trying to figure out a small ato to fit under my desk which is small!

I think I will bring it up to my "office" this weekend to get her wet here and let it run till I go to the coral show. Thankfully the LFS is a 15 drive from office so water changes are going to be a snap. I am hoping that it wont gave more than a gallon of evap a week, but who knows. I plan on water changes every 2 weeks of 50%. I do not want to bring a big water tote so am searching for something slim to go under my desk, my thought is to use the ato pump to pump it up in to the tank for water changes. The sink is 6 feet away so old water out is no big deal at all. I have never ever been this patient getting a tank up and ready. I need water and flowers NOW

1 hour ago, GtownSalty said:

I am still trying to figure out a small ato to fit under my desk which is small!

i have both the AutoAqua Smart ATO micro (on my 45g) and the XPAqua Duetto (on my 2.5g).  Both are super small and mine have worked flawlessly.

I'm a rock flower fanatic.  I have at least 80 adults and juviniles and 200+ babies in my 45.  It's set up specifically to breed them.  I'm really looking forward to seeing your rock flower tank develop!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
12 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

i have both the AutoAqua Smart ATO micro (on my 45g) and the XPAqua Duetto (on my 2.5g).  Both are super small and mine have worked flawlessly.

I'm a rock flower fanatic.  I have at least 80 adults and juviniles and 200+ babies in my 45.  It's set up specifically to breed them.  I'm really looking forward to seeing your rock flower tank develop!

Oh my gosh how exciting that must be do you have a thread on that tank? Can you tell me what kind of flow and stock if any in the tank?

I don't have a thread unfortunately.  I do post things on the rock flower appreciation thread on occasion.  It's got a lot of good information in it.  I've got pics on IG under the same handle as here.  As far as flow goes in that tank - it's moderate and random mode - nothing's getting blown away if you know what I mean. The nems will move away from it if they don't like like it - and that's generally the case overall.  They'll find a spot they like and stay put for the most part.  That's not to say they'll never move but I have many that have been in the same spot since the tank was set up a couple of years ago.

Besides the nems, I have 2 clownfish (currently in breeding mode), a 6 six-line wrasse (whose been a model citizen), a porcelain crab (so cool), an emerald crab (scrapes the hell out of the rocks but doesn't hurt the nems), 3 hermit crabs, and a bunch of snails.  I have some frogspawn and a hammer in the tank that I use as a barometer for water quality.  I don't test params very often any more other than salinity.  Tank is at 1.025...alk around 8.  Change 5 gallons of water every 2-3 weeks. 

• Like 3

I recognize the blue strips I think. How did you get it to mount to your light and still face downwards? I have used them in the past but the provided clips are meant to mount to the rim of the tank and angle the light down. So when I mounted it to a light they didn’t aim down but rather at an angle away from the tank. Would love to mount them like you did for supplemental/ moon lights. 

1 hour ago, Coach Steve said:

I recognize the blue strips I think. How did you get it to mount to your light and still face downwards? I have used them in the past but the provided clips are meant to mount to the rim of the tank and angle the light down. So when I mounted it to a light they didn’t aim down but rather at an angle away from the tank. Would love to mount them like you did for supplemental/ moon lights. 

Those blue light strips were a impulse fingers crossed purchase.... It worked wonderfully. They are the 8 inch glofish strips I took the clip off the strip and used a heat gun to bend just a bit let them cool and put them on. They are not quite straight down, but I am happy with them. The light on the tank is not horrible but I wanted more blue. I did not want to loose the top to help with evap so that what was my best solution. We shall see what the coral thinks in just a couple weeks.

43 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

Those blue light strips were a impulse fingers crossed purchase.... It worked wonderfully. They are the 8 inch glofish strips I took the clip off the strip and used a heat gun to bend just a bit let them cool and put them on. They are not quite straight down, but I am happy with them. The light on the tank is not horrible but I wanted more blue. I did not want to loose the top to help with evap so that what was my best solution. We shall see what the coral thinks in just a couple weeks.

Thank you so much I never thought to heat them! I broke the brackets trying to modify them. I know exactly what they are I have bought them in the past for a moonlight solution for a light that didn’t come with any. I ended up glueing them on with super glue. I did leave them on in day with the regular lights. Corals did well with them.

• Like 1

Don't forget to add a direct link to your thread to the official contest announcement thread! It'll help people find your entry/thread easier (and is part of entry requirements)! 

• Like 2

nice little tank! and I 2nd RFAs 

also 2nd the auto aqua ATO been using it for a few years now on a cpl tanks . even use it over the apex ATK. it working so well why change it.

for ATO res. something like this would work:  https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/space-saver-jug-thin-4-liter-1-05-gallon.html

amazon has a cpl 1.5 and 2.5 jugs as well but dont look as heavy duty. 

@SeaFurn WOW another RFA lover gonna have to stack you for some tan pics haha

• Like 1
On 2/15/2020 at 10:54 AM, kimberbee said:

Don't forget to add a direct link to your thread to the official contest announcement thread! It'll help people find your entry/thread easier (and is part of entry requirements)! 

Thank you so much. Well she is not clean but she is wet. I was able to pick up a little 2 gallon bucket for under my desk. I am hoping it works well. I am worried about the ato when I am not at work. I think my plan is to have it on a timer so that it does not run over night and o ly has a very small window to run on the weekend. 

I went ahead and put sand in it, because I know the rock flowers will appreciate it. With the tank being so small I think my stock list is pretty limited. So far I am just thinking sexy shrimp and maybe don't shoot me a molly. I would like a swimmer in there, so I dont know. 

Here is the real problem. HOW am I going to get any work done?!?

20200216_162727.jpg

• Like 1

So it is clearing up nicely, I have found I must have a cleaner magnetic preferably. The inside has a nice haze and the water level is not cool for sticking in a hand. I am antsy to get something in this tank! Patience is not my thing..... I am going to bring up a hammer that is stretching out a bit to much at home. It is a wonderful purple and green and will work well as my tallest flowy thing. Right now the tank has 3 marine pure spheres in the back as well as a nano pack of cpe and pad on top to catch the bigger stuff. The rock sat in my established 90 for 2 weeks and I pulled a gallon of sump water from that same tank to mix with the 3+ gallons of new water. I am hoping to lessen the new tank crap this way. The evap is a real thing in this tank which shocks me some seeing as it has a lid.  

Still unsure on the actual fishy, invert stock, BUT I am so excited to hit on the show this weekend in Dallas I am hoping to pick up at least 10 or more RFA. Fingers crossed for good vendors with lots of stock.

• Like 1

Yay, another Evo V... and wow, our stocking plans are remarkably similar... wait til I post more of mine, I can’t even believe it actually. Will be fun to see how similar or different our tanks turn out!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

There is life. I absolutely need timers, I forgot to turn off the lights yesterday...

I put in an order of wireless plugs so I can get the lights and ato on a timer.

20200220_110105.jpg

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

There is life. I absolutely need timers, I forgot to turn off the lights yesterday...

I put in an order of wireless plugs so I can get the lights and ato on a timer.

20200220_110105.jpg

Fluval makes a dual channel timer that could be worth checking out... I had one when I briefly used a Skyye light that came with my Nuvo 10 and it was decent, as I recall... didn’t have it long though, as I quickly upgraded that light.

Fluval A3977 Digital LED Dual Lamp Timer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QM9TS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_MWRtEbJ237641

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Fluval makes a dual channel timer that could be worth checking out... I had one when I briefly used a Skyye light that came with my Nuvo 10 and it was decent, as I recall... didn’t have it long though, as I quickly upgraded that light.

Fluval A3977 Digital LED Dual Lamp Timer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QM9TS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_MWRtEbJ237641

That is super cool I had never seen that.

• Like 1