SaltCritters.com

IM NUVO Concept Pro 20 Encore -Closed do to leak

Coolbreeze

12 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I hope the little guy makes it.

Nursing it and he is doing a little better today, although he will not eat yet. Trying food flakes and will try frozen today. I do have some other food being delivered today and may try that as well.

• Like 1

Last night I installed and turned on the UV as I started to see cloudy water. This morning it was crystal clear. I have also added an optical sensor to my ATO and configured my Apex to send alerts when it is 25% full. By doing this it will give me 5 days to get it filled before I run out.

I have some alga being delivered today from alga barn and that should help with Nitrates. Although all params are in line and I do not want them to get away from me (all alga in check). I also adjusted the lights to 35% and the LPS corals are starting to really color up. I do have some food coming for them as well so hopefully I can get them to grow.

This weekend or tonight when I get home from work I plan on cleaning up the wiring mess and attach the rest of the equipment, read some more 365 day Challenge as I am a bit behind.

So today I hooked up Refugium light and cleaned up all the back tank wiring and configure it in the Apex (Starting at 10:00 PM to 1:00 AM). Tomorrow I plan on cleaning up all the wiring that connects to the Apex and it modules. 

Tank is now crystal clear and I have not had any major alga blooms 😀. Now it is time to get cleaned up and start reviewing other 365 Day Challenge Tanks.

FC2451E1-C87E-409D-BBA6-5A7CD0BE73E3_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a210cb2f43be693c5d88a0709db3034a.jpeg

ATO with its Optical sensor connected.

7BA154B0-2034-48CC-9C65-C5876FBFED70_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e0070d5084bdf5210d4ce13841e50494.jpeg

Current Apex programming.

image.thumb.png.e24aa0d6264cd0bbbc4b2e31d2ba9b31.png

Current Radion Lighting Schedule.

image.thumb.png.d1ee22555723a0e0e543649638e16a9e.png

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is looking good so far. Not able to purchase more coral as I cannot find what I am looking for. I will wait, in the mean time here are a few update pictures of what is going on. The Goby that I got and did not think was going to make it - well so far he is doing much better and even came out for a picture and some food (Still not much eating yet, but a good sign). 

I did have to purchase a Nero 5 as my older Gyre died. I have it running very low right now but I think it is too big for a 10g.

Sunday I did a 25% water change, cleaned glass, gravel, rock and skimmer. Feed Reef Roids to Rainbow Micro Lord.

Clown Goby - Not a good picture, but had to do it fast as he moves to the back of the tank to hide

53FEDB76-0997-48BF-A04C-0A6CEACD97F4_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f6aa8b211f31976ae0490bc578c04393.jpeg

Clowns being active and the Cotton Candy torch waving.

1A7922B7-F4A1-49DF-A8BE-5E882EF0A81F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.cd7ceda95e7fa6b6aaf812d00ae5159d.jpeg

I need some help and would appreciate anyone who can help.

This morning when I got up I notice the tank was leaking, so I need to remove everything from it and place them in my IM 30L. It looks as if the stand that I put the tank on was not strong enough to hold this 20 gallon unit - OOOPS my mistake for not fully checking.

Anyways I made up 10 gallons of new salt water and it is up to temp as I have a heater in my 10g ATO that I used for my DSA 105. I have added the sand and water into (10G) the 30L along with a heater and very small Hydro powerhead to circulate the water. I was planning on moving the rock work and rest of the water over as soon as the cloudiness settles.

I'm I missing something or should I do something different?

The leak is slow but I am afraid that the tank will come apart. Any suggestion will be really appreciated as I have never run into this before.

16 hours ago, Coolbreeze said:

I need some help and would appreciate anyone who can help.

This morning when I got up I notice the tank was leaking, so I need to remove everything from it and place them in my IM 30L. It looks as if the stand that I put the tank on was not strong enough to hold this 20 gallon unit - OOOPS my mistake for not fully checking.

Anyways I made up 10 gallons of new salt water and it is up to temp as I have a heater in my 10g ATO that I used for my DSA 105. I have added the sand and water into (10G) the 30L along with a heater and very small Hydro powerhead to circulate the water. I was planning on moving the rock work and rest of the water over as soon as the cloudiness settles.

I'm I missing something or should I do something different?

The leak is slow but I am afraid that the tank will come apart. Any suggestion will be really appreciated as I have never run into this before.

The filter is your rock, I usually wouldn't transfer more than a small portion of the sand and would rinse it out with tankwater first, transferring water doesn't accomplish much besides avoiding making fresh water. 
Really sorry to hear about your tank failing though, that's awful. 

• Thanks 1

Well this stinks sorry to hear about your tank. If I am reading this right you are mixing up 10 Gallons of new salt water. That along with the some water from the leaking tank will fill up the 30 long. That would be about the same as a 30% WC. As stated by Amthripes  the rock is your filter and holds the beneficial bacteria. If you have some new sand that would be good and use some of the old sand. If you don't have new sand rinse the old sand with any left over water from the leaky tank if possible. No matter what water you use rinse it. In the creative container contest many people even used tap. Some followed that rinse with RO/Di but in an emergency you just have to do the best you can. This will be like when people move a tank or upgrade a tank. I hope it all goes well.

• Thanks 1
On 4/9/2020 at 10:06 AM, Amphrites said:

The filter is your rock, I usually wouldn't transfer more than a small portion of the sand and would rinse it out with tankwater first, transferring water doesn't accomplish much besides avoiding making fresh water. 
Really sorry to hear about your tank failing though, that's awful. 

23 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Well this stinks sorry to hear about your tank. If I am reading this right you are mixing up 10 Gallons of new salt water. That along with the some water from the leaking tank will fill up the 30 long. That would be about the same as a 30% WC. As stated by Amthripes  the rock is your filter and holds the beneficial bacteria. If you have some new sand that would be good and use some of the old sand. If you don't have new sand rinse the old sand with any left over water from the leaky tank if possible. No matter what water you use rinse it. In the creative container contest many people even used tap. Some followed that rinse with RO/Di but in an emergency you just have to do the best you can. This will be like when people move a tank or upgrade a tank. I hope it all goes well.

I have new sand in my 30L with some new rock work (small amount to fill in the rest), the tank temp is 78 and I have Nero 5 circulating water. Do you guys/gals think that I can just move over my current rock and should I use any additional bacteria or do you think I should be good?

I have been topping off water as needed and think I have a little more time if needed.

I have been topping off the water as needed and found I think were I went wrong here. As soon as it is down I can confirm what I think it is.

Looking at the stand it looks to have what appears to be a thin layer of paper covering instead of laminate. With that said when I was filling the tank water got on the stand and looks to have saturated the particle board. You know the worst part of this was that I was going to put a piece of glass on top for protection from this and it was not even going to cost me any money as I have some in the garage.

3 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

If the particle board is already saturated you should not trust that stand.  I thought you had a custom stand for the 30? 

I do on the 30L. It is a metal stand with real wood top and several coats (5) of marine black paint and sealed with Polyurethane (3). My comment was from this current build so I am sorry if I was not clear, but I will know more when I have the tank empty and if the tank can be repaired after replacing current stand.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Coolbreeze said:

I have new sand in my 30L with some new rock work (small amount to fill in the rest), the tank temp is 78 and I have Nero 5 circulating water. Do you guys/gals think that I can just move over my current rock and should I use any additional bacteria or do you think I should be good?

I have been topping off water as needed and think I have a little more time if needed.

You're not adding any more livestock, so it should still be fine.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well first I would like to thank all of you for viewing and commenting on this thread, but this journal now will be no longer updated for the following reasons.

Since the tank had a leak, I have moved all livestock to my IM 30L and would like to thank all of you that helped me make the move without incident. I have reviewed the leak and found that in the back-left corner on the bottom of the tank there was a small crack. It was really small and looked to be caused by shipping and no way I was able to see it when reviewing and doing the initial water testing. When I removed the padding on the bottom you could see it and it was leaking very slowly and that is why it took some time for me to find and noticed it. Currently the stand it was on will need to be replaced as the top is damage and I no longer trust it.

Since I modified the aquarium I think it would not be right for me try to get it covered under warranty, but I have to admit it was a cute tank and would not recommend to modify it by removing some glass in the back and making it one AIO if you plan on buying one. It was a little harder to maintain proper heating between both sides so having two tanks will cost more in hardware.

I had a flaw in my original plan to use it as a quarantine tank, because both tanks are close and having one AIO then I was not protecting from any disease issues.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
32 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

Well first I would like to thank all of you for viewing and commenting on this thread, but this journal now will be no longer updated for the following reasons.

Since the tank had a leak, I have moved all livestock to my IM 30L and would like to thank all of you that helped me make the move without incident. I have reviewed the leak and found that in the back-left corner on the bottom of the tank there was a small crack. It was really small and looked to be caused by shipping and no way I was able to see it when reviewing and doing the initial water testing. When I removed the padding on the bottom you could see it and it was leaking very slowly and that is why it took some time for me to find and noticed it. Currently the stand it was on will need to be replaced as the top is damage and I no longer trust it.

Since I modified the aquarium I think it would not be right for me try to get it covered under warranty, but I have to admit it was a cute tank and would not recommend to modify it by removing some glass in the back and making it one AIO if you plan on buying one. It was a little harder to maintain proper heating between both sides so having two tanks will cost more in hardware.

I had a flaw in my original plan to use it as a quarantine tank, because both tanks are close and having one AIO then I was not protecting from any disease issues.

Is it possible to repair in anyway? I lurked here often as well, honestly, the balls to drill this thing is worth following along. I get the need for the new stand

• Like 1
Coolbreeze
On 4/29/2020 at 6:58 PM, Ratvan said:

Is it possible to repair in anyway? I lurked here often as well, honestly, the balls to drill this thing is worth following along. I get the need for the new stand

Well that is funny as I thought the same thing. After cleaning up the tank I called around to a few glass shops and no one would touch it, so I called some auto glass repair shops until I got one to review it. Unfortunately after reviewing it the crack had gone all the way through so he could not guarantee it. I had him do it anyways, but it did not hold the water. So I got a small piece of glass and covered it with a lot of silicone and the small glass piece on top. It did stop the leak, but for how long?

Did not trust it so I will have to so no at this time.