Innovative Marine Aquariums

IM NUVO Concept Pro 20 Encore -Closed do to leak

Coolbreeze

FTS: 

F4F70880-8AF1-40D0-A8ED-B5841523F2E1_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f12c496fbe5b582c3ddc9afada438e2d.jpeg

Display: Innovative Marine NUVO Concept Pro 20 -  10 Gallons (Each Side)
Rock: Marco Rock - old, from my old DSA 105g
Sand: 1.5” of CaribSea Hawaii Black Live Sand (10lbs)
Lighting: Ecotech Radion XR15w G4 Pro - Coral Lab SPS/AB+-template @ 35% peak brightness – 9 hour light cycle
Heater: Cobalt Neo-Term 75W digital heater
Chiller: No-name, and no plans for one
Circulation: Return: Innovative Marine AIO approx. 92GPH (2 Stock)– Powerhead: Maxspect Gyre XF130 - Random @ 20%
Skimmer: Innovative Marine Aqua gadget NuvoSkim DC 

UV: Innovative Marine 9W Aqua Shield
Filter Media: None
Top Off: AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro with  IM Auqa Gadget 5 g Hydrofill reservior

Dosing: None - ( On standby when needed - Kamoer X1)
Controller: Neptune Systems Apex Classic Platinum with PMM and PM2 modules.

Misc.: Intank Basket (Left Chamber), Intank Surface Skimmer and Intank Filtration Cover

Fish: 

ORA Captive Bred Naked Ocellaris Clownfish (LiveAquaria.com)

LPS Coral: 

Double Cotton Candy Torch (Unique Corals Inc.)

Rainbow Micro Lord (Unique Corals Inc)

Black Widow Blasto (Unique Corals Inc. - Free for ordering - Thank You)

Purple Tip Frogspawn (Vivid Aquariums)

Work in progress .............

• Like 2

Innovative Marine Nuvo Concept Pro 20 Encore concept.

E3C5B91A-EB77-4661-9644-393BF933F96F_4_5005_c.jpeg.aa9a3a27890525289b5df4cc257b9e35.jpeg

The Design

The new Aquarium released from IM is basically two 10g Nuvo tanks made as one. Both the front display and the AIO chamber is separated so you can have both fresh water and salt water side by side or you can do two different themes for Marine or Fresh water. Nice concept with many options and ideas.

365 Day Challenge Rules

Only one wave maker in the display

AIO chamber must be shared with both displays, so I need to combine them.

No AWC systems are allowed during the contest.

Plan

Well I think this is going to be a challenge as well as give me many options here. So the first part of the plan is to put holes between the two AIO chambers, since most of these are acrylic and is easy to drill holes and if later I wanted to put them back as I can glue a piece of cut acrylic over the holes, but I have not plans to do it as it would double the cost of hardware. This build at first will be low tech to start with and later (After a year add AWC using my DOS/DDR from the DSA105g)

Planed Hardware

I currently have the following hardware left over from my DSA105 and other past tanks so I will be using some of that and a few new items.

Heater:           Neo Therm 75w, Two of them for redundancy. (Need to purchase)

Controller:     Inkbird ITC-308-wifi (Own)

Lights:            Radion XR 15 Pro with diffusers (2). I have one G3 from my DSA 105g so I will place this one on side and purchase a new G4 and place it on the other side.

This will match my IM 30L build and should provide a smooth transition from this aquarium to the IM 30L.

****** I am also considering two AI Primes HD as my DSA 105 lighting has the other Radion on it and someone once to buy all of it************

Wave Maker: So here is where I am undecided and will make a last minute decision here. It will either be one Nero 5 or VorTech MP10. I like the Nero 5 as it is smaller and I can hide it better in the                              display but it has no backup features if the power goes out. (Will need to purchase)

ATO:               Smart ATO Micro (Own)

Dosing:          X1 Bluetooth MicroPump. Only one for doing Tropic Marin ALL-FOR-ONE (Need to purchase)

Aquarium theme, aquascaping corals and fish choices will be coming in future posts.

• Like 3

Continued Plan Hardware

UV:              I will be placing one IM UV in Chamber one.

Refugium:  Using both sides in chamber 2.

Skimmer:   None

Theme

Theme or themes as I plan on having a few

1). Color, lots of different vibrate colors.

2). Bare bottom or sand? Why not both. One side will be bare bottom so over time it will be covered with encrusting corals. The other side will be black sand. Hopefully I can make the two come      together as if it looks as one side is endless in depth.

3). Science - When I purchase a fish it will be dipped (Safety Stop)and put into the bare bottom side for 14 days to quarantine it from sand, if all goes well then move to the other side and later then moved to my IM 30L build. Will follow the same procedure for the corals.

Fish

Color to contrast with the above theme. Not determined at this time.

Inverts

Thinking of a pom pom crab, Red banded Shrimp or a Red blooded shrimp.

Corals

When buying them they will be frags of no more than two inches in size to keep the cost down and to watch them grow over time. What kinds....... well you are going to have to follow the journal as I do not want to give away everything.

• Like 2

Could you use a U-tube like the ones in hang on back overflows to connect the back chambers? That would connect the two without drilling in case you wanted to separate the two sides after the contest. No clue if this would be within the rules. 

I am assuming the peice in the middle splitting the tank is glass...all the way though to the back. Just seems the easiest way for them to make it but I could be wrong.

So I would think you need to drill the glass somehow? 

On 2/10/2020 at 8:40 PM, ChristopherDido said:

I'm excited to see one of these in action! Good luck!

Thanks.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:23 PM, Kentech5 said:

Could you use a U-tube like the ones in hang on back overflows to connect the back chambers? That would connect the two without drilling in case you wanted to separate the two sides after the contest. No clue if this would be within the rules. 

I could do that, but the more I think about it I will probably not put it back once it is drilled.

18 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I am assuming the peice in the middle splitting the tank is glass...all the way though to the back. Just seems the easiest way for them to make it but I could be wrong.

So I would think you need to drill the glass somehow? 

It is. I will have more pictures soon.

8D792693-BBBF-4BA9-8268-FBA4222EAF3B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.ac59ee7230429a460b5a89ab8b2dcf99.jpeg

It os official that this tank has been entered into the 365 AIO contest. It really looks better then this picture so I hope to have better pictures soon.

• Like 7

If all you did was drill a hole but kept the returns the same... wouldn't it not get great movement through it for one heater?

Also would there be any worry of one side filling up higher than the other if one of the returns is slightly different flow rate?

Trying to think of any potential problems before you put a hole in this beauty!

• Like 2
On 2/12/2020 at 9:25 PM, Tamberav said:

If all you did was drill a hole but kept the returns the same... wouldn't it not get great movement through it for one heater?

Also would there be any worry of one side filling up higher than the other if one of the returns is slightly different flow rate?

Trying to think of any potential problems before you put a hole in this beauty!

So I have been looking at just drilling a hole, but as you mentioned above heating and pump failure I will need to consider in the design. With this said I plan on making a bigger hole.

• Like 1

AEDD83B3-E6D3-4012-9DAB-C95F9E43F853_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f9ba58de2e692972307ebf705197cc09.jpeg6352705C-D812-4B53-A4B7-41EBFACF1BD4_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e785ca0a7dd3d18361b1cad5d3fd803f.jpeg

So here is the rock work completed. I have also installed Gyre on the left side up near the top. You can hardly see it and I can adjust each side of the pump and will need to be turn ed way down as the water flow can be very high, but there should be no dead spots as the pump just barely fits in the tank from front to back. I also have the controller that I can hook up to my Apex if needed.

I have ordered all the diamond cut bits that I need to drill the back AIO and should be here before Wednesday next week. From here I need to do a water check and see how deep I need to drill the glass down into the AIO.

• Like 3

E60ED987-12C5-451E-96C1-06F7E7E45CD3_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.38f155298198ff5e3c636629dc6fc567.jpeg

Stand and lights are on and working. Waiting on diamond cut bits and is now expecting to arrive on Friday, so maybe I can get it cut and water added this weekend.

• Like 3
MainelyReefer

I don’t know why he has to drill it? Why would nano-reef condone such Tomfoolery?  Let the guy compete with this beautiful tank without defacing it for silly rules.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Okay, I did it but I need to finish cleaning up the cuts and sanding the glass so it will not cut me when I put my hand in it. I believe that this is going to work for what I have plans for. Not interested in having two of everything in this tank so I will need to put some type of water low level indicator on it so that if one pumps dies I get some type of notification and then turn the pumps off until I get home. Here we go 😲

Before making the cut

5A644F1F-FEE0-402D-A70F-60486B4FC34B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b0b11add7518b2739bed5c755a2751af.jpeg

After making the cut. Okay no harsh judging  😀as this is my first time cutting glass.

1DF6AE8B-5267-41F4-899E-E748EB2783E7_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a3e86197ce327d147efad32b19525775.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
On 2/19/2020 at 8:08 PM, GraniteReefer said:

I don’t know why he has to drill it? Why would nano-reef condone such Tomfoolery?  Let the guy compete with this beautiful tank without defacing it for silly rules.  

Actually no one is making me do this. My plan is to have this particular tank be my quarantine tank before putting any corals or fish into my 30L. I plan on putting high end corals in there and do not want to make any mistakes 😉

16 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

Okay, I did it but I need to finish cleaning up the cuts and sanding the glass so it will not cut me when I put my hand in it. I believe that this is going to work for what I have plans for. Not interested in having two of everything in this tank so I will need to put some type of water low level indicator on it so that if one pumps dies I get some type of notification and then turn the pumps off until I get home. Here we go 😲

Before making the cut

5A644F1F-FEE0-402D-A70F-60486B4FC34B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b0b11add7518b2739bed5c755a2751af.jpeg

After making the cut. Okay no harsh judging  😀as this is my first time cutting glass.

1DF6AE8B-5267-41F4-899E-E748EB2783E7_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a3e86197ce327d147efad32b19525775.jpeg

LMAO!  That works!

• Like 1

lol oh my!! well it would be easy enough to patch with another piece of glass if you wanted to restore it to two tanks. It isn't like it is a weight bearing wall or something. 

Since the whole is so big maybe you can just lay the heater sideways so it heats both sides more evenly? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It occurs to me that you would probably have to try pretty hard to have a major temperature variance, even if you only heated one side.  Glass is an insulator but I remember that people used to use under-tank heaters and that worked reasonably well.  The two chambers share an entire wall of relatively thin glass so some heat is bound to transfer.

Maybe you could test my theory..  Although, you already poked a fairly large hole in it. 😉

That looks like you may have been applying pressure while drilling >_> Too late to suggest a simple siphon to bridge things - also a word of warning, IME that gyre is wayyy too much flow even for sps in smaller systems.
Really unique setup, should be fun to see what you come up with.