ReefCleaners.org

Karisma's tiny tank....New coral!

karisma

SaltyGallon

Ahh man that sucks. Can you stick the broken piece elsewhere? Glad you got the wavemaker quietened down, a dab of silicone grease often helps too 🙂

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Azur said:

Ahh man that sucks. Can you stick the broken piece elsewhere? Glad you got the wavemaker quietened down, a dab of silicone grease often helps too 🙂

I could mount the broken piece of monti somewhere but i think im going to give it to a buddy as a frag. I am happy the pump is quiet now too. Silicone grease is reef safe?  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Thats my experience with Monti's as well, at least you now have a spare frag to trade away 🤷‍♂️

Good idea. Maybe ill trade it for a zoa frag!

• Like 1

Late to the party, but I recently upgraded from an Asta 20 to Prime HD when I moved from my 3.7 pico to a 5 gallon (huge jump, I know) and I love it. Not sure if it’s just a coincidence, but my Duncan, which has never grown since I got it in July has sprouted three new heads just in the last couple of weeks. The only thing that changed during the upgrade was the light and I think the Duncan is getting more flow.   

19 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

Late to the party, but I recently upgraded from an Asta 20 to Prime HD when I moved from my 3.7 pico to a 5 gallon (huge jump, I know) and I love it. Not sure if it’s just a coincidence, but my Duncan, which has never grown since I got it in July has sprouted three new heads just in the last couple of weeks. The only thing that changed during the upgrade was the light and I think the Duncan is getting more flow.   

I been debating getting a prime. If you've read through my thread you would see that lol so what do you think the growth is from the light upgrade? I just added more flow with the jebao wavemaker but i still have the asta 20....

• Like 1
6 hours ago, karisma said:

I been debating getting a prime. If you've read through my thread you would see that lol so what do you think the growth is from the light upgrade? I just added more flow with the jebao wavemaker but i still have the asta 20....

Yup I read the entire thread which why I decided to respond since I was in a similar situation not long ago. I also realize you were debating it a month ago hence be being “late to the party.” I think the flow is allowing for better nutrient and gas exchange but the light is also providing a better spectrum and intensity.  I have a par meter and with the blues and violets running 40-60% and little to no whites I’m getting decent par (~150 in the exact middle of the tank with the light about 9” off the surface and 4in under water). I don’t think I was getting anywhere near that with the asta 20. I might be able to get some time to test the asta 20 par levels this weekend. 

All that being said, I love the AI prime and I think regardless, if you upgrade you won’t regret it. 

12 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

Yup I read the entire thread which why I decided to respond since I was in a similar situation not long ago. I also realize you were debating it a month ago hence be being “late to the party.” I think the flow is allowing for better nutrient and gas exchange but the light is also providing a better spectrum and intensity.  I have a par meter and with the blues and violets running 40-60% and little to no whites I’m getting decent par (~150 in the exact middle of the tank with the light about 9” off the surface and 4in under water). I don’t think I was getting anywhere near that with the asta 20. I might be able to get some time to test the asta 20 par levels this weekend. 

All that being said, I love the AI prime and I think regardless, if you upgrade you won’t regret it. 

I do really love the prime 16 hd so you can pop off the top to get at the fan for maintainice. I think your right. "If i upgrade i won't regret it" well see if i get enough money this next month. 

Well...i do not know what happened to my goby. Havent seen him in a few days so i decided to look under around the rock and he was nowhere to be seen. Its strange cause he was fine a few days ago. Poor little guy 😞

• Sad 2

On a better note i got a few new frags. Including a small toadstool leather. Seems to like the far corner of the tank. I just want it to attach to the rock so it stops getting blown away from the powerhead after being knocked loose by the cuc....

1585994472659-1731029670.jpg

• Like 1
18 hours ago, karisma said:

Well. I dont know if ill regret it or not, got a yellow tail damsel for free so he is in the tank now.

Little damsel is a bad idea im giving him to my lfs. He was kicking up so much sand trying to dig a hole under my rock. So i took the rock out and captured the damsel. Then i was so happy i found my goby he was alive! Now he is back to hiding again however.....

• Haha 1

So this asta 20 has two separate names on it. Strangely enough. The box says asta 20. Then the light itself and the remote has two names here's a pic of the names.

1586349421815-1731029670.jpg

1586349453686232086459.jpg

1586349485894-1860858978.jpg

Im not to sure what to do about my little antenna goby. He's hidden all the time even during feedings. Only time he comes out is when i take the rock out of the water. Dont want him to starve to death....

14 minutes ago, karisma said:

Im not to sure what to do about my little antenna goby. He's hidden all the time even during feedings. Only time he comes out is when i take the rock out of the water. Dont want him to starve to death....

What do you feed? Also when? 

How long you had it as well? 

16 minutes ago, karisma said:

I’ve got a pair of antenna gobies. They took weeks to come out when I first bought them. Turn if you’re pumps and leave some food by his burrow: he’ll come out when no one is around and eat it 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

What do you feed? Also when? 

How long you had it as well? 

I feed both flake and mysis.

Had him for about a month.

1586528636316-1731029670.jpg

13 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

I’ve got a pair of antenna gobies. They took weeks to come out when I first bought them. Turn if you’re pumps and leave some food by his burrow: he’ll come out when no one is around and eat it 

Maybe i will try that. Problem is my hermits might get there before the goby.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, karisma said:

I feed both flake and mysis.

Had him for about a month.

1586528636316-1731029670.jpg

Maybe i will try that. Problem is my hermits might get there before the goby.

Are you able to get anything with zooplankton as an ingredient? Or crab roe? Thinking small foods. 

14 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Are you able to get anything with zooplankton as an ingredient? Or crab roe? Thinking small foods. 

Oh im sure my lfs has some. Maybe give it a try.

19 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So have you tried either of the foods? With success? 

18 minutes ago, karisma said:

So have you tried either of the foods? With success? 

Crab roe I used to get my Trima Cana goby to eat, mixed it in with other foods gradually. I've seen a few threads where the goby took weeks to come out

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Crab roe I used to get my Trima Cana goby to eat, mixed it in with other foods gradually. I've seen a few threads where the goby took weeks to come out

Hmm really hey....ok maybe ill try to  get my hands on some crab roe. Mix it with a bit of my food. I was also thinking about getting a pistol shrimp for him as well. Maybe he would feel safer perhaps? 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Yes a shrimp goby pair is wonderful to watch. I think the “candy cane” shrimp is one of the smaller varieties.

Is the noise thay the shrimps make really all that loud? I live in a tiny apartment so my tank isn't far from where i lay my head to sleep and dont want to be hearing popping clicking noises all night lol!