Cultivated Reef

Fungia plate coral

Kvinnyy

Just bought this coral and took it home, but I noticed that it's white?! Is this normal or is my coral starting to bleach/die?! 😱 I don't remember it looking like this when the guy took it out of the tank at the fish store. It was a cold ride home though, would that cause it to die off so quickly?

IMG_20200208_182925.jpg

How cold did the water get?  (Hopefully you took a measurement.)

Cold is definitely enough to cause death...if it was cold enough.

I lost a whole birdsnest colony the size of a basketball when I left my heaters off for about 1 day after doing maintenance.

The tank only got down to 71 degrees F...not really all that cold.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 2/8/2020 at 3:11 AM, Kvinnyy said:

Just bought this coral and took it home, but I noticed that it's white?! Is this normal or is my coral starting to bleach/die?! 😱 I don't remember it looking like this when the guy took it out of the tank at the fish store. It was a cold ride home though, would that cause it to die off so quickly?

IMG_20200208_182925.jpg

I’ve seen people selling plates that look like that. I saw uniquecorals sell one like that at one point and it had those white streaks. I’m sure it’s fine, probably just upset from the car ride. 

• Like 2