ReefCleaners.org

Back after a 7 year break!

jcieutat

Around 7 years ago within a matter of 2 weeks I had to call poison control because my youngest decided to taste a few of my tank chemicals and my ATO return line got a little too close and overflowed on our beautiful hardwood floors.  I parted out the tank and told myself I would never do it again.  Fastforward to now and here I am.....

My current set up is:

IM Nuvo Fusion Pro 20 with MightyJet 326 gph return pump

Custom built stand

Current USA Orbit Marine IC Pro Dual LED with Bluetooth loop controller

(2) Current USA 660 GPH eFlux wave pumps

(2) IM spin stream nozzles

Cobalt Flat Neo-Therm 75W Heater

Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 ATO with 5 gallon reservoir 

IM Media Basket with carbon and GFO

IM 200 micron filter sock

25 lbs. Marco Rocks dry rock

20 lbs. CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand

Aquatic Life RO/DI Buddie

Instant Ocean sand with 20 gallon brute, powerhead, and heater for mixing saltwater

TDS meter, refractometer, carbon, chemipure, filter floss, assorted testers, etc...

I put the dry rock, sand, and water in around a week ago along with a bottle of Bio-Spira.  I have an upcoming trip so I probably wont even test the water for a few weeks.  I currently have a filter sock on one outer chamber and a media basket with carbon and GFO in the other outer chamber.  The center chamber has the return pump, ATO sensor, ATO return line, thermometer sensor, and heater.  The two mid chambers are currently empty.  I have more rock in the tank than most might want because I want as much biological filtration as possible.  I don't plan on using a skimmer, reactor, refugium, etc.  I only plan on a few soft corals, an anemone, a shrimp, a few fish, and a small clean up crew.  At this point, I don't want to have to constantly test the water and worry about expensive corals.

My questions are:  Do I need to worry about checking the filter sock and media basket while the tank cycles?  Any ideas for the two middle chambers that are unused such as bio balls or something of that nature just to an additional biological filtration?

Thanks for the insight.  

20200206_121534.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome back!

10 hours ago, jcieutat said:

Current USA Orbit Marine IC Pro Dual LED with Bluetooth loop controller

(2) Current USA 660 GPH eFlux wave pumps

Cool, I have the same LED lights.  Let me know how you feel about the eFlux Wave Pumps and how it integrates with the LOOP system and app.

10 hours ago, jcieutat said:

Do I need to worry about checking the filter sock and media basket while the tank cycles? 

I wouldn’t worry.  I’d just focus on testing the water parameters to see where you’re at in the Nitrogen cycle and so you know when it’s complete.  What are you using to add ammonia during the cycle?

• Like 1

I haven't even turned the lights on since I added the water but I did play with them before and I am pretty impressed with the loop app.  I have played around with the wave pumps and I am impressed.  I probably didn't need 2 of them but with the amount of rock I decided to go with I was worried about water flow.  I reduced the speed down on each of them in the loop app.  Once I get a few things in the tank I will move them around to see what works best. 

As far as ammonia goes, I haven't added anything yet.  All I have in the tank besides equipment is the live sand, dry rock, and a bottle of Instant Ocean Bio-Spira.  This is my first time using dry rock.  I had too many issues with the live rock locally last time.  I ordered some of the Dr. Tim's Aquatic Ammonium Chloride Aquarium Treatment for Fishless Cycling this morning.

• Like 1
On 2/7/2020 at 9:05 PM, jcieutat said:

I put the dry rock, sand, and water in around a week ago along with a bottle of Bio-Spira.

Supposed to be added when you add your first livestock.

300602-Aquarium-Instant-Ocean-Bio-Spira-b_1.jpg

GFO in the other outer chamber

Remove the GFO....not needed now or maybe ever.  IF you end up with a phosphate issue (not likely) then you'll have a use-case for it.

I have more rock in the tank than most might want because I want as much biological filtration as possible.

Not a good move....too much possible and is not helpful.   Remove enough rock so the tank appears to be "about 1/3 full" of rock.

I don't plan on using a skimmer, reactor, refugium, etc.  I only plan on a few soft corals, an anemone, a shrimp, a few fish, and a small clean up crew.  At this point, I don't want to have to constantly test the water and worry about expensive corals.

Use the skimmer IMO.   The rest will cause problems as they work "too well".

Do I need to worry about checking the filter sock and media basket while the tank cycles?

No.  And you should remove them for now.

Any ideas for the two middle chambers that are unused such as bio balls or something of that nature just to an additional biological filtration?

Empty is better than full -- more water volume.

20200206_121534.jpg

Did you consider running the lights down on the tank for a sleaker smoother look?

image.jpeg.e6496df4b5612402bbb679a95aea5523.jpegImage result for current usa ic pro

It makes them almost invisible from in front of the tank.

On 2/8/2020 at 9:22 AM, jcieutat said:

This is my first time using dry rock.  I had too many issues with the live rock locally last time.

You must not be aware of the issues that come with dead rock -- far worse, way more often.

If you have the chance to switch to live rock now before it's too late, I'd strongly suggest doing so.  Even if you can only replace "some" of your rock with live it will make a difference.

If you have to keep the dead rock, just keep in mind that it takes A LOT LONGER to mature and get your tank stable, algae blooms are more likely, etc.  Take stocking VERY slowly for anything big like fish -- one at a time with at least a few weeks of time after for observation before adding anything else.

It won't even really start maturing until you add your first coral -- or anything else that will innoculate the tank with reef microbes. 

Until it matures, dead rock is no better for your tank than this:

Image result for bag of aquarium gravel

Worth suggesting some reading at this point...check out any of the books suggested here.....Martin Moe's stuff is a great place to start:

Chime in with your reef-oriented reading list!

Thanks for the advice.  I have actually done a good bit of reading and a lot of the information is contradictory which is par for the course in this hobby or any other hobby.  The IO Bio-Spira is not just for when you add fish.  It is also a tool to use when setting up a brand new aquarium.  That being said, tomorrow I will receive the Dr. Tim's One and Only and ammonia so I will start the cycling process.  I am going to remove the filter sock and media basket to let the Dr. Tim's stuff do its job.  I am going to roll the dice with the rock I have.  I don't mind the taking my time letting it mature.  I thought about putting the lights lower but I don't want to have to move them every time I go in the tank.

• Like 1