Top Shelf Aquatics

Frogspawn base tissue recession

fishnlou

Hi,

For the last 2 months one of the heads in my frogspawn colonies keeps looking as if the flesh at its base is being shredded. Some days it looks fine then some days it looks like the picture below. Everytime it happens the flesh recedes up past the damage. I've never seen anything like this before. The polyp still opens, but in general not as much as the other heads. I've never seen anything peck or nip at it and have checked the coral multiple times during lights off with a deep red led to see if anything was causing this. I'm at a loss and fear the head itself will not last much longer than a few more weeks at this rate. Any thoughts on what could cause this or things I can do? I've had the coral for almost a year and it started shortly after that specific head split. Water levels are all good

kH = 9

Ca = 430

Mg = 1420

NO3 = 2ppm

PO4 = 10ppb or about .02ppm

Salinity = 1.025

Any help is very much appreciated!

20200207_180824.jpg

20200207_180849.jpg

• Like 1

Thats an octospawn. Frogspawn have 1 dot on each stem octo have multiple.

As for it being shreded Im not sure why ?  I thinm it looks fine to me. Specially if its extending out like that

My bad, I always forget that this one colony of mine is an octospawn...

I wish I could agree that this coral is fine, but this is a form of tissue loss that has been progressing slowly. If it continues it will most definitely not be ok.

13 hours ago, fishnlou said:

Hi,

For the last 2 months one of the heads in my frogspawn colonies keeps looking as if the flesh at its base is being shredded. Some days it looks fine then some days it looks like the picture below. Everytime it happens the flesh recedes up past the damage. I've never seen anything like this before. The polyp still opens, but in general not as much as the other heads. I've never seen anything peck or nip at it and have checked the coral multiple times during lights off with a deep red led to see if anything was causing this. I'm at a loss and fear the head itself will not last much longer than a few more weeks at this rate. Any thoughts on what could cause this or things I can do? I've had the coral for almost a year and it started shortly after that specific head split. Water levels are all good

kH = 9

Ca = 430

Mg = 1420

NO3 = 2ppm

PO4 = 10ppb or about .02ppm

Salinity = 1.025

Any help is very much appreciated!

20200207_180824.jpg

20200207_180849.jpg

Are those vermetid snails on the base?  They could be irritating the coral.  

1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

It's hard to tell from the photo but is the flesh ripping from too much flow? As is the flesh is being cut by the 

There isnt to much flow in that area. The coral has been happily growing in that spot for almost a year now. Good thought, thank you

• Like 1