ReefCleaners.org

5g Zoa Playground (Formerly AIO Challenge Tank) - Tank Crash and Closing Shop 😢

ECLS Reefer

ECLS Reefer
15 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Damn that's a pretty Aiptasia. Mine are Ugly as sin 

I do wonder if they (Barnacles) would be useful in an Anemone tank...

But then the pretty nems would end up in the holes and you may never see much of them... 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
5 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Aiptasia x spread them when I used it. If it’s only this one aiptasia I would chip away at where it’s attached outside of the tank and chuck it.  Good luck!

I have a ginormous one in the big tank, and the Evo. Just one. And I’d love to reach in and just pluck the sucker out but you know how they shrink to nothing soon as you look at them. So annoying. At least on that barnacle I could feasibly pull it out and scrape it off manually. 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
Just now, Ratvan said:

Bugger... good point. Bigger nems needed

I thought about an RFA for this little tank and then though nah— mushrooms. Things that don’t wander off. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I thought about an RFA for this little tank and then though nah— mushrooms. Things that don’t wander off. 

Avoid Yuma's then, mine wandered all over the bloody Pico. Most ended in the HOB on and in the Bio Media

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
7 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Avoid Yuma's then, mine wandered all over the bloody Pico. Most ended in the HOB on and in the Bio Media

Mine are glued, but I think one did try that- I found it kind of dripping off it’s plug and was so confused, blamed it on creatures pulling it down. Maybe it was trying to wander. Hopefully it can’t now

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Mine are glued, but I think one did try that- I found it kind of dripping off it’s plug and was so confused, blamed it on creatures pulling it down. Maybe it was trying to wander. Hopefully it can’t now

Yuma’s move like mushrooms - they stretch their foot and then leave a little baby behind. In My tank they tend to stay in the general area I put them, I think if they are happy with the light and flow they stay put, they start moving when they aren’t happy. 

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer

So, after a long, discouraging day at work, I get to come home and look at all the bright pretty corals and fish I've managed to collect. It's always nice to find they have their own little personalities too. The little Aquatop challenge tank is doing sooooooo well!!! I can't believe my luck that it started literally cooking with butter. Only sour note since I started it was the death of the little ruby scooter, and I'd say there was more to that if I had to imagine since every other creature is healthy and happy. May rethink getting another one after I finish with my trip taking in the next couple of weeks. 

Am so nervous to leave all the tanks--have a reefing experienced tank sitter lined up for both weeks since I can't trust my husband to know what to do or my MIL. I sure hope I come back to find them exactly like they have been!!

• Like 4
ECLS Reefer

Also, I realized tonight when walking by the tank that the barnacle cluster Peek lives in would sure look nice with some kind of coral covering. What do y'all think? GSP? Big shrooms? a zoa colony? Zoas and GSP? Something I'm not thinking about that would go well?

image.png.c98f26a0ed429a2d50ee9ea0b10910a1.png

6 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Also, I realized tonight when walking by the tank that the barnacle cluster Peek lives in would sure look nice with some kind of coral covering. What do y'all think? GSP? Big shrooms? a zoa colony? Zoas and GSP? Something I'm not thinking about that would go well?

Carpetting Halimeda, gracilaria mammarillis, Dragons Breath Macro?

ECLS Reefer
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Do you like clove polyps?

I do! But they’re really hard to find. And I’d prefer something I could maybe pick up at my LFS. This tank is supposed to be zoa/shrooms/GSP only and I’ve stuck to that them so far, so honestly I should probably stay with one of those. Plus I don’t have the greatest luck with ordering coral online

ECLS Reefer
4 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Carpetting Halimeda, gracilaria mammarillis, Dragons Breath Macro?

I have had zero luck with macro so far ☹️. I’d rather something that will spread on the surface of the barnacle. I’ll probably get some more GSP. My LFS down the street has a bunch of large clusters of metallic GSP which would look completely different from what’s in there currently. 

I dunno. Something to ponder for the next couple of weeks.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I have had zero luck with macro so far ☹️. I’d rather something that will spread on the surface of the barnacle. I’ll probably get some more GSP. My LFS down the street has a bunch of large clusters of metallic GSP which would look completely different from what’s in there currently. 

I dunno. Something to ponder for the next couple of weeks.

Opposite for me. Coral killer and macro grows like weeds 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
7 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Opposite for me. Coral killer and macro grows like weeds 🤷‍♂️

I’m actually trying a small wad of caulerpa/chaeto one more time in the SCA, this time in a small basket in the sump rather than free floating. The sump is growing coralline like crazy so I thought just maybe the macro would work this time? We shall see. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

How bout a frag of the branching GPS. its goes with your theme and its different and looks cool IMHO like a fuzzy SPS 

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
35 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

How bout a frag of the branching GPS. its goes with your theme and its different and looks cool IMHO like a fuzzy SPS 

That’s an idea. I have just such a piece in my big tank thanks to @jack1978. It’s already spread some. I wonder if I can get the original plug back out 🤔 I’ll have to think about it. I’m not sure if I was thinking more of a matted look covering them barnacle like moss or maybe this idea of the branching stuff like bushes. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That’s an idea. I have just such a piece in my big tank thanks to @jack1978. It’s already spread some. I wonder if I can get the original plug back out 🤔 I’ll have to think about it. I’m not sure if I was thinking more of a matted look covering them barnacle like moss or maybe this idea of the branching stuff like bushes. 

another option is, I know you said you did not have much luck with macros, but Hypnea pannosa would look cool and give a splash of color too. it will matt like you are thinking.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
15 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

another option is, I know you said you did not have much luck with macros, but Hypnea pannosa would look cool and give a splash of color too. it will matt like you are thinking.

That is cool 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
59 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

That is pretty! I can’t find anybody with it stock, doing a brief search. But something to think about. Just peeked in that tank and realized the palys and zoas are already growing new polyps! This little tank continues to blow me away with how it’s come together so perfectly. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

You could go with Blue Sympodium or Cyphastrea - which will grow in shaded areas as well - so should contour to the entire surface area of the barnacles and glow under blues. 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
8 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

You could go with Blue Sympodium or Cyphastrea - which will grow in shaded areas as well - so should contour to the entire surface area of the barnacles and glow under blues. 

I’ll have to look those up. I think I know what they look like but not positive 

7 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I’ll have to look those up. I think I know what they look like but not positive 

I haven’t had the Sympodium yet.  But I have had the meteor shower Cephastrea - pretty and grew like a mother ..... in the shade and light. 

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
3 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

I haven’t had the Sympodium yet.  But I have had the meteor shower Cephastrea - pretty and grew like a mother ..... in the shade and light. 

Ohh I like both of those. Will have to shop around- I see vivid has the meteor shower. That would be bright and different. The sympodium I could almost sneak by as GSP. Decisions. 

8 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Ohh I like both of those. Will have to shop around- I see vivid has the meteor shower. That would be bright and different. The sympodium I could almost sneak by as GSP. Decisions. 

There’s some good sellers on eBay as well ..... meteor shower gets to be a pretty blue in higher light ...... there’s also a “bizzaro cephastrea” which is nice. 

• Like 1
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to 5g Zoa Playground (Formerly AIO Challenge Tank) - Tank Crash and Closing Shop 😢