Coral Vue Hydros

5g Zoa Playground (Formerly AIO Challenge Tank) - Tank Crash and Closing Shop 😢

ECLS Reefer

I have been wanting one of these little tanks for over a year, so this competition was a great excuse for it. I had wanted the cube version, but as they didn't have it in stock, I took the peninsula instead. Also, it most likely will prove the better decision anyway, for the livestock I plan to get.

Tank

Started 2/7/2020

AquaTop Pisces 5 gallon Peninsula Bullet

Equipment:

Stock pump

Fluval 50W heater

Stock light

Media:

Stock bio balls

Stock carbon/floss filter cartridge

MB 7

2lbs live rock

Bare bottom

Stock:

Two accidentally transferred blue leg hermits

Bristle worms

GSP colony

Small colony of palys

Plan for: 

1 tail spot blenny

1 ornamental shrimp (either skunk cleaner or fire shrimp)

More palys or zoas

Mushrooms

ADFB945F-D711-4A06-8A2F-3EFF1739F968.jpeg

🎵LET IT WHIP!!!🎶

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 6
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to Le Dirté’s Flirting with Divorce 🙊 365 AIO Challenge

I am so digging this little tank! watching this one for sure , as its on my short list of tank for the contest. 

what K do you feel the light is? looks 10 Kish?

only 53 GPH guess that is 10X

curious to see how the filter work out for you. when you get a chance post up some pics of it please 😄  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

I am so digging this little tank! watching this one for sure , as its on my short list of tank for the contest. 

what K do you feel the light is? looks 10 Kish?

only 53 GPH guess that is 10X

curious to see how the filter work out for you. when you get a chance post up some pics of it please 😄  

LOL I'm not sure what K the light is... dark, I know that! It has white lights or deep blue lights. I like the sleek look of this little stock light, so I plan to stick with it.

21 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

It’s so cute!

Thanks! My husband is like.... did you spend all our money today? No dear. Well, I love you still anyway😒. I do hope to keep this tank on the very cheap end of expenditures. So far it's been only the expense for the two corals, a total of four chunks of rock, and have been able to use stuff from my own storage for the rest. Didn't even have to make new water for the big tank after stealing about 4 gallons from it. Excited to see how this little project develops!

• Like 4

Just added one of the Halloweens in. As I said the blues are pretty dark, so I checked the whites to see what they're like.

IMG_8466.thumb.jpeg.31ae2df5576285c50a773afcb1b06896.jpeg

IMG_8468.thumb.jpeg.7b00f40bab49930d9b391ab76a33a419.jpeg

IMG_8467.thumb.jpeg.e24d88338dddcde55f629812fc5b932d.jpeg

• Like 3
Just now, devaji108 said:

nice! maybe blues a few hrs in the am then white most of the day then blues in the eve. to night.

do you have to set manually or is there a timer on the light?

I haven't gotten that far--I'm thinking not but I need to read the little manual. I presume I will need to put a timer in line, and I'm not sure how to find one that can change between blue/white function and run the times. Will most likely be changing the light by hand for a while.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Is it a blue, off, white function? 

Yep. Reading the booklet it says the blues are really moonlight. But I can use the timer I already have to decrease the white light percentage if needed. I wonder if the timer can also increase the percentage of the blues? 🤔🤔

1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Yep. Reading the booklet it says the blues are really moonlight. But I can use the timer I already have to decrease the white light percentage if needed. I wonder if the timer can also increase the percentage of the blues? 🤔🤔

Have fun with that. 👍

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Have fun with that. 👍

Yeah, just played with the little timer. Looks like it's white, OR blue. And no combos of either. The zoas love the blues but the GSP does not, clearly. So, choices.

15 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Seems that way. I found the heater that fits in the filter/pump compartment on amazon, and it's only $21. Also found a light that might fit in the light slot of this tank, and beef up the rays a bit. Will wait until next week for that though. Let the heater currently in there stay for now and just deal with the less than ideal light.

• Like 1

@kimberbee here's the filter contents of the compartment. A cartridge to catch large gunk and I guess for bacteria to latch onto, bio balls beneath this chamber in the very bottom, a very thin carbon/filter floss cartridge, a slot for the heater to slide into (I assume) and the return pump itself. 

IMG_8472.thumb.jpeg.6b40dec31a92deb0d8fd857a6346b6ac.jpeg

IMG_8471.thumb.jpeg.aee7b933e2148dfd22470289b5c0ef97.jpegIMG_8470.thumb.jpeg.d53d481c7956c0fbbe3e5696f877e406.jpegIMG_8469.thumb.jpeg.cf5387c57da9c4c07839e1e95a835bf9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Looks like you can pop those cartridges open to replace what's inside, pretty useful

Yeah I noticed that. Was thinking if I needed to could change the carbon to the matrix carbon I use which is tiny pellet balls. Or

phosguard if needed, or even a thin second layer of floss. I think it’s got multiple possibilities. 

8 minutes ago, spectra said:

Miracle Whip........................

giphy.gif

Let it whip.... Love that tangy flavor especially in tuna mix. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, ef4life said:

I like that little tank, I hope the light works well long term.

Thanks, but unfortunately I think not. It’s either so bright they zoas are closing or so dark the GSP isn’t opening. I’ll most likely replace it with a cheap Amazonian purchased light that can hopefully fit in the slot made for the current stock light. 

• Like 2
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to 5g Zoa Playground (Formerly AIO Challenge Tank) - Tank Crash and Closing Shop 😢