Cultivated Reef

5g Zoa Playground (Formerly AIO Challenge Tank) - Tank Crash and Closing Shop 😢

ECLS Reefer

Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

Huh? It’s in the title...

You have a tag for aquatop aio but not the 365 day challenge. 

Anyone can just click on the tag and get a listing of all the threads with that tag. It makes it easier for people to follow along... and most importantly, for Chris to check everyone's threads easiest! 

20200210_131053.thumb.jpg.d5149d3ba98c41129061508729b74a03.jpg

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Anyone can just click on the tag and get a listing of all the threads with that tag. It makes it easier for people to follow along... and most importantly, for Chris to check everyone's threads easiest! 

I gotcha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

So you gonna fix it or what? 

I’m actually at work and not on my computer. I can only spot check stuff because the full moon has cursed my neighbor and I’m watching this catastrophe unfold. I’ll fix it tonight after I decide what to do with my clownfish marital separation. 

6 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

It's still not fixed... 

59 minutes ago, spectra said:

5 hours later she is still working on it.....................

6 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So you gonna fix it or what? 

ITS FIXED 🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

So tonight I got my new cheap light, an Astra 20 Lominie. It’s nothing super fancy but it does look better than either all white or dark moonlight. 

also got in WiFi capable power strips as I saw that on another thread and totally realized what a great idea it was! Got that hooked up and programmed and now the light is automated. 

By coincidence two fish have tried the tank out today; Billy and Dilly the black ice clown pair are going through some marital problems today, escalating to abuse. So, Dilly spend all day in the challenge tank, and when I got home, I did a 1g water change and swapped angry spouses. Tonight Billy gets to sleep in there since she was being all territorial in the Evo. Dilly doesn’t seem all that happy being without her, but he bit her lip pretty hard. Hopefully time out will solve their sparring because I have zero intention to split them up or put a clown in a 5g. Drama drama

C9BFA11C-A1E6-433B-B193-7ECA62529683.thumb.jpeg.4a0cabc1db939267ec0728b3913da103.jpeg

Shes got a pit of fat lips from their spat

02FA1DFC-B9F7-422F-BC21-81C2AD493119.thumb.jpeg.dfca00ef5dca674642e89268c48f878a.jpeg

new light

138381A2-A215-4C93-93CF-E4F02A7CDDBA.thumb.jpeg.5cd75f177ecf510d8d24c6a42b061ad7.jpeg

new WiFi power strip

C48D9323-9EED-40E7-A21A-353F34CEE60A.thumb.jpeg.97aad4137af90f7edcea168e3bb5f9a3.jpegC6BD3537-7B06-4C65-9877-9B8C4CDEB5AF.thumb.jpeg.58ffad6c1c8561a377fd27a8368d11e2.jpeg

Poor lonely Dilly. Hope I can get them to coexist again. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Call this tank The Doghouse?

Well I don’t plan on keeping Billy in here permanently, that was never in the cards. I want her back with Dilly if I can arrange the correct marital counseling. 

Probably going to try a rescape in the Evo because I think the whole mess is actually being caused by Bonnie and Clyde and their pistol shrimp. I watched them aggressively posture at Dilly all day yesterday and last night, trying to drive him from the area he and Billy have always been in. They all try to congregate in that one same spot and I guess it’s too small now for that many gangstas.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Its like a TV soap opera is being played out. 

Kinda. Unfortunately it couldn’t have happened during a worse week, because I stand to possibly have to work the next six days. It may not come to that but I’m on call the next six days, definitely will work every other day at this point. I need everyone to get along. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 2/10/2020 at 2:11 PM, kimberbee said:

Geez, kimber is going around being 365 -day challenge police. 🤣

• Haha 7

Okay so today saw some big changes!! Clownfish marriage counseling is over and both Billy and Dilly are back in their home, the Evo. Got a new ricordea mushroom and two small zoa colonies. A couple of turbo snails and nassarius snails each. Two sexy shrimp, and a newly imported tailspot blenny!! No name yet, and he’s kind of shy so far, but he did eat which made me pretty relieved. The Halloween hermit has already tried to murder one of the nassarius snails, so he might get busted to the Evo or the SCA again. 

Still fiddling with this new light. It’s on an on/off timer, but it doesn’t seem to come back on with the last settings. So not sure if there’s a way to make it remember or what. Further research required. 

• Like 2

Okay I’ve had it with bare bottom. Seems no matter how much I siphon or turkey baste it stays trashy looking. Adding sand and a little something else special, to finish out the livestock 😉

• Like 4
2 hours ago, devaji108 said:

I am debating the same...for the tank if i get to play.

I keep going bank n forth in my head..haha   

I got 3.5lbs if live sand since I started with live rock and seasoned water from the SCA 50g. Took out the rock and glued them together as the Halloween and snails kept knocking stuff over. Ordered some actual reef glue (still super glue but I hope it works better than Gorilla Glue), so I can glue the GSP down. Have tried once and the gorilla glue does literally nothing to keep it stuck down. Got the sand in with minimal mess or fuss, and it’s starting to settle.

Ordered the AquaTop nano heater, a 25w that should fit in the AIO section. I definitely don’t like that big heater in the DT and not sure it’s technically within the rules anyway. But it’ll sure look better when it’s out of the DT. 

Took out the little replaceable filter and plastic biosomethingorother that came with the tank guts. Replaced with a small bag of carbon and phosguard. I had hoped to run the tank dirty like @WV Reefer but it’s easy to replace the tiny amount of media in the bag. When I checked my nitrates, KH and phosphates the other night the phosphates were 0.6!! So did a 2.5g water change and decided I need a little help with the phosphates. Haven’t worked out how best to feed and not drive up nutrient levels yet. 

Been adding MB7 pretty much daily, though I know I forgot a couple. The zoas, palys and mushroom are happy, but still struggling to get the GSP happy. Maybe it was the phos level. So really, the little tank is rocking along for being such an infant. 

Will get some pictures when the sand has settled completely- it’s still brightly murky and not worth the shot. 

• Like 2
On 2/12/2020 at 12:17 PM, mitten_reef said:

Geez, kimber is going around being 365 -day challenge police. 🤣

2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I definitely don’t like that big heater in the DT and not sure it’s technically within the rules anyway. 

Only equipment allowed in the display is one wavemaker!!

👮‍♀️

• Haha 6
42 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Only equipment allowed in the display is one wavemaker!!

👮‍♀️

As I said.... AIO heater is on the way 😝. Can only install it as fast as Amazon brings it. Can’t let everything die of cold while waiting 

image.gif.c632a8db997d06e6c603dc76f7742b96.gif

Updated pictures; still the tiniest bit cloudy but clear enough to get pictures. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I got 3.5lbs if live sand since I started with live rock and seasoned water from the SCA 50g. Took out the rock and glued them together as the Halloween and snails kept knocking stuff over. Ordered some actual reef glue (still super glue but I hope it works better than Gorilla Glue), so I can glue the GSP down. Have tried once and the gorilla glue does literally nothing to keep it stuck down. Got the sand in with minimal mess or fuss, and it’s starting to settle.

Ordered the AquaTop nano heater, a 25w that should fit in the AIO section. I definitely don’t like that big heater in the DT and not sure it’s technically within the rules anyway. But it’ll sure look better when it’s out of the DT. 

Took out the little replaceable filter and plastic biosomethingorother that came with the tank guts. Replaced with a small bag of carbon and phosguard. I had hoped to run the tank dirty like @WV Reefer but it’s easy to replace the tiny amount of media in the bag. When I checked my nitrates, KH and phosphates the other night the phosphates were 0.6!! So did a 2.5g water change and decided I need a little help with the phosphates. Haven’t worked out how best to feed and not drive up nutrient levels yet. 

Been adding MB7 pretty much daily, though I know I forgot a couple. The zoas, palys and mushroom are happy, but still struggling to get the GSP happy. Maybe it was the phos level. So really, the little tank is rocking along for being such an infant. 

Will get some pictures when the sand has settled completely- it’s still brightly murky and not worth the shot. 

Have you considered using Biospiria? 

• Haha 4
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to 5g Zoa Playground (Formerly AIO Challenge Tank) - Tank Crash and Closing Shop 😢