Top Shelf Aquatics

5g Zoa Playground (Formerly AIO Challenge Tank) - Tank Crash and Closing Shop 😢

ECLS Reefer

So, finally bit the bullet and ordered a new light for the little tank. Got an AI Prime 16 HD, but will have to make a stand for the clamp to go on because there’s no real place for it on the tank. I’m afraid it would crack the side glass if I tried. 

Some sad news- I found little Sunny today, out from hiding. He’s emaciated, even though I’ve seen him eat whole chunks of food and even posted a video of it. But for some reason he’s wasting away. I feed smaller pods too and he showed no interest in that tonight 😪. I’m afraid poor Little Sunny isn’t long for this world. 

FTS October

B0E3426F-DB9E-43D4-8E09-75BC4D4B0CA9.thumb.jpeg.5ef1ff12d6df50348a06acd6efa9ef3d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
7 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

So, finally bit the bullet and ordered a new light for the little tank. Got an AI Prime 16 HD, but will have to make a stand for the clamp to go on because there’s no real place for it on the tank. I’m afraid it would crack the side glass if I tried. 

Some sad news- I found little Sunny today, out from hiding. He’s emaciated, even though I’ve seen him eat whole chunks of food and even posted a video of it. But for some reason he’s wasting away. I feed smaller pods too and he showed no interest in that tonight 😪. I’m afraid poor Little Sunny isn’t long for this world. 

FTS October

B0E3426F-DB9E-43D4-8E09-75BC4D4B0CA9.thumb.jpeg.5ef1ff12d6df50348a06acd6efa9ef3d.jpeg

Poor Sunny. 🙁

tank looks good tho

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Poor Sunny. 🙁

tank looks good tho

Thanks and I know! I’m so sad for him- he was eating so well I almost half expected him to choke to death. Maybe this is a belated choking experience? I don’t know. But I’m sad that he appears to be uninterested and is so skeletal. 

I think the tank looks super meh and I hope the new light gives the zoas the boost they need. 

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty

That prime 16.. let me know how you like the Bluetooth version. And “better light cluster” 

and zoanthids need to pop

• Like 2

So, finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade the tank light. I’ve moved it closer, farther away, at an angle... just don’t feel it’s as intense as it needs to be for further improvement. Got the upgrade in and installed this evening. 

F7EA2299-AE48-42F8-8656-15F2732CC873.thumb.jpeg.19e27c987852e2568ba149b77d08da3b.jpeg

32ADF916-FB59-476A-9BF2-4D21624E077D.thumb.jpeg.9a68e9f4742b16d3e4263b0c438a5305.jpeg

Still playing with the different presets you can download from AI, not sure which I may end up using. Or if there’s a better one out there. Excited about the potential growth! 

• Like 8
13 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Awesome upgrade!

i have a few AI files if you’re interested 

hopefully they have less than 30 points

30 points?

Can always just do BRS AB+, 30 min ramp up to a bit more (5%) white than they recommend, drop it down to 10% or so lower than recommended on all channels over 6 hours, then ramp down to low settings that you like lookin' at for a few hours of viewing at night.

Just now, Amphrites said:

Can always just do BRS AB+, 30 min ramp up to a bit more (5%) white than they recommend, drop it down to 10% or so lower than recommend on all channels over 6 hours, then ramp down to low settings that you like lookin' at for a few hours of viewing at night.

See I only knew about the stuff AI posted on their home page, so it’s running Saxby at the moment. Didn’t know BRS had programs. 

2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

See I only knew about the stuff AI posted on their home page, so it’s running Saxby at the moment. Didn’t know BRS had programs. 

If I recall it's just 80% all blue and 120% UV+V, then like 5% R+G, and like 15-20% whites.

• Like 1
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to Le Dirté’s Flirting with Divorce 🙊 365 AIO Challenge- New Light Challenges

So just realized the Challenge Tank is 8 months old- guess an update on equipment and whatnot is due. Today having some issues with the light being a turd and not coming on as programmed or turning off too soon, so still some learning curve there I guess.

AquaTop Pisces 5 gallon Bullet AIO

Cobalt Neotherm 25W heater

*new* AI Prime 16HD light

Tetra Whisper 60gph air pump with air stone in AIO chamber

Duetto ATO

Media- phosguard

brightwell carbonit-p carbon pellets (switching over to this the last couple of weeks)

Dosing - Brightwell microbacter 7 weekly

Brightwell Alkalin 8.3 weekly (most likely increasing this to biweekly due to increased kh usage)

Brightwell Replenish trace elements weekly

Livestock: target mandarin

yellow clown goby

8 sexy shrimp

candy cane pistol shrimp

astrea turbo snails

blue legged hermits

bumble bee snails

Corals: have kept to zoas, palys and mushrooms save for the token leptastrea. All have started showing better PE with the new light. 

• Like 7
This guy is extra salty
38 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

So just realized the Challenge Tank is 8 months old- guess an update on equipment and whatnot is due. Today having some issues with the light being a turd and not coming on as programmed or turning off too soon, so still some learning curve there I guess.

AquaTop Pisces 5 gallon Bullet AIO

Cobalt Neotherm 25W heater

*new* AI Prime 16HD light

Tetra Whisper 60gph air pump with air stone in AIO chamber

Duetto ATO

Media- phosguard

brightwell carbonit-p carbon pellets (switching over to this the last couple of weeks)

Dosing - Brightwell microbacter 7 weekly

Brightwell Alkalin 8.3 weekly (most likely increasing this to biweekly due to increased kh usage)

Brightwell Replenish trace elements weekly

Livestock: target mandarin

yellow clown goby

8 sexy shrimp

candy cane pistol shrimp

astrea turbo snails

blue legged hermits

bumble bee snails

Corals: have kept to zoas, palys and mushrooms save for the token leptastrea. All have started showing better PE with the new light. 

Brightwell strong 💪 eh ?

have you thought of using their kalk+2?
also how are you liking the new light?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Brightwell strong 💪 eh ?

have you thought of using their kalk+2?
also how are you liking the new light?

Yeah I’m liking the brightwell. Slowly transitioning everything over to them on all three tanks. 

the new light is nice though I guess not as simple as the Red Sea LEDs I have on the 120 and the 13. Makes pretty colors though. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Idk if it’s my browser but I can’t see like half of the photos you’re posting... or I’m impatient...🤷‍♂️

It's an Insta-NR copy-paste flaw. I had the same issue posting links from Insta to my thread. Sometimes, the link shows up, and sometimes it doesn't. Then it vanishes on NR after a while which is weird. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

It's an Insta-NR copy-paste flaw. I had the same issue posting links from Insta to my thread. Sometimes, the link shows up, and sometimes it doesn't. Then it vanishes on NR after a while which is weird. 🤔

I mentioned it to CM today because now you can’t copy and paste Instagram at all

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Ok I thought I had to get a new phone or computer. 😂 

No it’s definitely an issue for some reason. Can’t post the link at all this week.

• 2 weeks later...

A few November shots. D98727A4-6C18-4F27-A7B9-3CFA72D4DC3E.thumb.jpeg.59d20d58d320df347d8dc348cfba6dcd.jpeg

November FTS

4934D482-C8C8-4AAD-A092-B0EBBBDB7613.thumb.jpeg.2ecf404169d9e2766462dd80fd5bf9aa.jpeg

DE25B48B-6748-4BEE-A249-B5684B8494E5.thumb.jpeg.6ea5152151dd5520a88441ea2f51f455.jpeg

59C6CFB8-6686-495D-96BA-8CA905516219.thumb.jpeg.1a7c4b800b233980eb6d3042dcbcf511.jpeg

A couple of maintenance updates: with the new light the corals are using up alk like crazy so I switched from brightwell Alk 8.4 to using ReefCode B dosing, and Brightwell Vitamarin C. May also start dosing ReefCode A since I’ve noticed the calcium starting to drop out too. 

My yellow clown goby finally succeeded in starving himself to death, which makes three who’ve done the same. Even with attempting multiple food types, he stopped eating. So, it’s just little Target now. I may get her a mate. As cute as I find clown gobies, they just haven’t worked out for me. 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, ef4life said:

The Tank looks really nice. Bummer on the little goby 😢

I fail to see what I do wrong with those little dudes or what it takes to keep them thriving. Such a bummer though because I find them super cute. 

• ECLS Reefer changed the title to 5g Zoa Playground (Formerly AIO Challenge Tank) - Tank Crash and Closing Shop 😢