Innovative Marine Aquariums

Photochemists Adopting Reef Tank Products

cameron1

I used to be an active member on this website way back when I was in highschool. I am now a chemistry graduate student working in a group focused on photoredox catalysis. I can't believe I didn't put all of this together earlier since I am a second year graduate student, but that may have been because of the amount of time it's been since I had reef tanks. Last week, I was making a photoreactor for running reactions and had a moment where I realized that a lot of photoredox chemistry utilizes products and DIY techniques found in reef tanks! The reactor I was making is commonplace in photochemistry and utilizes eggcrate to make a vial rack holder. I quickly remembered making something nearly identical as a frag rack. I can only imagine that the person who thought of this in the first place must have had reef tank experience.

Whats even cooler (and made me feel like even more of an idiot) is that nearly every photochemistry group has a set up utilizing multiple kessil (yeah, that kessil) LEDs to run photoredox reactions. I have attached a link to two websites. One is actually on the Kessil website describing the adoption of reef tank lighting in photoredox. The other is the website for the original and most famous photoredox professor, Dave Macmillan. At the top of the page you can see two Kessils being used to run reactions, and if you scroll down you can see that he has even made a kessil clipart that he uses in the figures of his papers! The coolest thing about all of this for me is that Macmillan is likely to win a nobel prize in chemistry at some point, and his chemistry is made possible utilizing reef tank technology. I just thought I would share all of this since I got very excited when I had my "aha" moment and it made me very nostalgic for my reeftank days. I have even been talking to my professor about getting a reef tank for our office and he seems stoked on it so far!

Kessil:

https://www.kessil.com/photoreaction/index.php

Macmillan:

http://chemlabs.princeton.edu/macmillan/photoredox/

Frag_Rack_Reactor.jpg

• Like 5