Coral Vue Hydros

DIY sea hare guard. Lol

justinkdenny

I had my son 3d print a guard for my nuvo 10.  My sea hare crawled across the overflow area and caused my back chamber to drain which kicked my ato on dumping alot of freshwater into the tank and almost overflowing the tank.  Automatic shut off timer didn't work on ato.  I wanted to build some type of a guard that would stop the sea hare from covering the overflow slots.  What should I use to attach it to back wall?  Superglue gel or silicone.   Would superglue come off easy later if I needed to remove?  I could drop water level for a while but dont know how long silicone would need to dry.

15810175099391030273878918138824.jpg

• Like 3

Silicone will take at least 24 hours, probably more, to cure, must be out of water, and will give off toxic fumes. It's really not good for anything in or on an established tank. 

Superglue gel is the way to go. It'll be a bit annoying if you need to remove it later, but should be doable, and silicone would probably be equally annoying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

IM sells guards for their tanks. It clips on. That might be easier.

My 12 year old already made this so I'd better use it. Lol. I also think peter, the hare, could still cover up the one on IM website. 

• Like 1

Yes. Any cyanoacrylate glue should be reef-safe, there's nothing in it that'll leach. The big thing is to, if at all possible, keep all fish away from the glue until it's set as much as possible. They can glue their fool mouths shut if they nip at wet glue. Make sure it has a film dried over it. If possible, lower the water level so none of the glue will be submerged, and leave it a few hours until it sets.

• Thanks 1