Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is my torch coral dead?

Casey daniels

Casey daniels

I bought this torch coral yesterday and in the store is was fully open and healthy but ever since I put it in my tank it has not come opened at all. Just wondering if it’s dead? Unhealthy? Unhappy? Or just taking time

Casey daniels
3 minutes ago, Casey daniels said:

I bought this torch coral yesterday and in the store is was fully open and healthy but ever since I put it in my tank it has not come opened at all. Just wondering if it’s dead? Unhealthy? Unhappy? Or just taking time

image.thumb.jpeg.148281c64e8c3f31ba4aa368d5047872.jpeg

dead?  not yet.  if you have a turkey baster, very gently puff a few squirt of water at it, if nothing gooey comes out,then leave it alone, it should be ok still.  if gooey stuff starts streaming out of the skeleton, that means you have tissue starting to deteriorate in there.  

Why it looks like that?

too many possibilities as you only got it yesterday from LFS: just simple handling and transporting, salinity, alkalinity, light, are the first four that came to mind. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

dead?  not yet.  if you have a turkey baster, very gently puff a few squirt of water at it, if nothing gooey comes out,then leave it alone, it should be ok still.  if gooey stuff starts streaming out of the skeleton, that means you have tissue starting to deteriorate in there.  

Why it looks like that?

too many possibilities as you only got it yesterday from LFS: just simple handling and transporting, salinity, alkalinity, light, are the first four that came to mind. 

Im sorry you’re right. I zoomed in and can see better. It looked like an empty skeleton at first 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Describe to us your acclimation method. Perhaps there's a slight adjustment we can do for next time. I'm wondering if the corals are adjusting hard to the changes in water quality. Not saying your water is bad, but simply different from what the coral has experienced. LPS corals I get from ORA for work are kinda shrinky during the first day or so, but they come back pretty quickly afterwards.

Also see if you can report your parameters. mitten_reef already described a couple that generally contribute to coral success.

In my case I float them for 20 minutes then put them in a tuberware and add a cup full of water every 10 minutes for aim for an hour. It was doing fine when I got it  but I moved it to a spot I thought he might fit better where it wasn't crowded

• 3 weeks later...

Please post recent test results for everything, especially phosphates.

He looks bleached as heck....often happens from zero nutrients.

Check out:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

They specifically look at Euphillia in this study but it is widely applicable to other corals as well.

Low P is a killer.