Coral Vue Hydros

Seabass's 20L DIY AIO

seabass

E-Marco 400 aquascaping:

I decided to work on my aquascape so I can start cycling the rock.  I already had this Reef Cleaners dry rock (23lbs) just waiting for a project.

031120a.jpg  031120b.jpg

I further broke it into smaller pieces so I could create a split rock aquascape.

I attempted to use reef epoxy and quickly remembered how badly that works.  So I went to the hardware store and had a can of pond foam in my hand.  However, when reading the can, I decided to ditch that idea too.  I remembered that I had purchased an E-Marco 400 kit years ago.  Time to break that out and give it a try.

031120c.jpg  031120d.jpg

I used all the rock (except those chips, which were the largest pieces left).  The rock actually fits together, creating a look as if it were one piece that broke and separated.

A few tips when using the E-Marco 400 kit:

• Mix only what you can use in 10 minutes.
  • A little liquid goes a long way.  But if you add too much, just add more powder.
  • Mist a little water (using a spray bottle) on the surfaces you are going to cement.
  • Once you get it set, try not to move it too much (as that can weaken the joint).
  • If you need to do several pieces (like stacking several layers), do them in stages (allowing them to set before moving on).
  • The next day, the joints will be stronger than the rock.  You can pick up, hammer, chisel or grind the rock without breaking the mortar joints.

I highly recommend the kit when stacking rock.

• Like 8
  • Wow 2

glad you like it I have a bucket setting around for the big build that is taking way longer than it should. I am excited to use it.

thanks for the tips!  

• Like 2

That E-marco looks like it was easy to use and worked great. I think it will be a nice open scape in a 20L Now if some one would come up with some thing like that in a much smaller scale. I want to just attach a couple small rocks together. I usually use super glue gel\epoxy\super glue gel but it does not always work. 

• Like 1

I arranged the rocks so that they would basically fit together.  Not that I intend to keep them together, but to make it look plausible that they may have either split or eroded a long time ago.

031320b.gif

This is sort of a throwback to the once popular stacked rock wall aquascape (which was popular decades ago, when narrow 55 gallon tanks were commonly used).  People would stack rock right against the wall in order to open up the front of the tank.

031320c.jpg

With 23lbs of rock (dry weight), I also maintained the outdated rule of using at least 1lb of rock per gallon of water.  All in all, I'm fairly happy with this "retro" split-rock scape.

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, waldoz said:

Man my scale must be way off. I only have 12lbs it says. 😕

For some reason, the pics make the rocks look a bit smaller than what they appear in person.  Also, I weighed them after applying the hydraulic cement (which might add a little more weight).  I usually go pretty light on rock, especially in a tank with a small bio-load.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, seabass said:

For some reason, the pics make the rocks look a bit smaller than what they appear in person.  Also, I weighed them after applying the hydraulic cement (which might add a little more weight).  I usually go pretty light on rock, especially in a tank with a small bio-load.

Depth of field and field of view of cameras, alongside focus-length, makes the whole world look quite different - perspective is everything lol.

• Like 1

Looking great! I am feeling nostalgic commenting on a Seabass thread!  I go 4+ years without a tank and I return to NR and see familiar faces (screen names?) still exist.

Ironically I built my own DIY AIO 20L as a quick holdover when I cracked my fusion 20.  I like it so much I'm thinking about keeping it running.  Original plan was to take it down when I got my 40 Breeder online but it'll make a great theme tank.

• Like 2

It seems that haven't made any real progress.  In fact, some might even say that I've taken a step back.  I emptied my 40G cardinalfish nursery to clean it; placing those rocks temporarily in this tank.  I'll empty it again as soon as I make more water.  End of month FTS:

033120c.jpg

Taken 3/31/20

The rock that I cemented together is currently cycling in a Brute container with some other rocks:

033120d.jpg

I'm adding DrTim's Ammonium Chloride daily.

I'm hoping to start work on the AIO insert soon.  I don't feel in any particular hurry as the rock should benefit from the additional cycling time.

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Any progress on the insert and the tank.

:blush:

I took a mulligan last month, as there was very little progress.  The rock has been cycling and should be good to go.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:11 PM, Christopher Marks said:

if you miss more than 2 monthly updates along the way, you will be disqualified

I ordered some 1/4" square dowels to make a wooden template for my overflow.  I plan on building all of the templates out of wood before cutting the acrylic.

I know the contest is a year long to show growth; so I get how my delays go against this.  Hopefully I'll have updates soon.

• Like 3
On 3/13/2020 at 12:07 PM, seabass said:

This is sort of a throwback to the once popular stacked rock wall aquascape (which was popular decades ago, when narrow 55 gallon tanks were commonly used).  People would stack rock right against the wall in order to open up the front of the tank.

At first I was going to say "what the hell - my tank has a stacked rock wall, that wasn't just popular decades ago," then I realized it was a decade ago...

It looks great so far and I'm definitely going with the mortar instead of epoxy when I upgrade - so much cleaner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

No COVID excuss, just moving really slooww.  Here's a quick update with some new progress:

I made tracks for a flush trim router bit.

053120a.jpg

Here's the cut template.

053120b.jpg

Here's the cut acrylic overflow.

053120c.jpg

FTS: 05/31/20

053120d.jpg

• Like 7
1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

Looking good, teeth might be a bit shallow depending on the flow your looking to run through the rear.  

I considered that, I still might make them longer.  However, the flow won't be too crazy high.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I feel that I need to bow out of the competition.  I still intend to proceed as planned, but it will be several more weeks before I get around to it.  I believe the intention of a year long contest is to watch the development.  With no real progress made again this month, I feel that this build no longer qualifies.

However, don't fret, I will continue on.  I promise, progress will be made.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1