inTank Media Baskets

Seabass's 20L DIY AIO

seabass

Theme:

This is my take on an old school stacked rock wall aquascape, featuring various DIY projects (including an E-Marco 400 aquascape, DIY AIO insert, SB Reef Lights PCB upgrade, and more).

Equipment:

• Black frame Aqueon 20L aquarium (30.25" x 12.5" x 12.75")
  • DIY AIO filtration w/ media basket
  • 165W Lxyoug "black box" LED light fixture with SB Reef Lights PCB upgrade
  • Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9001

• DIY wood stand
  •  

Livestock:

Hard scape:

• 23lbs (dry weight) Reef Cleaners dry rock
  • 2" CaribSea Fiji Pink sand
  • Like 3

365 Day Challenge entry pic:

022820a.jpg

022820b.jpg

I printed this bottle label (another DIY project).  It's just Thousand Island dressing in an old beverage bottle. :smilie:

• Like 1

NICE! fallowing this build for sure as I have an empty 20L another one of my fav. tank sizes. a possible tank for the contest to.   

question are you going rimless or is that just the cad drawing?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

are you going rimless or is that just the cad drawing?

Rimless would be super cool, but mine will keep its rim.  I'm hoping not to have to buy much if anything.

• Like 4
This guy is extra salty
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

I built a couple of 2x4 based stands.  Here's the 20L stand that I built:

stand20l.jpg

(drying upside down)

That looks sleek! I’m digging the black is it matte? I’m debating on skinning my stand but idk floating tank might be different 

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Thanks.  It's coated with satin satin polyurethane.

I would do some extra coats on it I would hate for the hardware to rust. Which is why I despise my 160g stand 😂 

• Like 1

Yep, a few coats (I tend to get saltwater all over).  Although I used a Kreg jig and filled the pocket-holes with Bondo; so the screws are protected.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yep, a few coats (I tend to get saltwater all over).  Although I used a Kreg jig and filled the pocket-holes with Bondo; so the screws are protected.

Awesome I was about to ask that lol

I have the same issue well it’s more of a salt mist getting all over.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, seabass said:

I built a couple of 2x4 based stands.  Here's the 20L stand that I built:

stand20l.jpg

(drying upside down)

Extremely beefy stand for a 20, I like it.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, ef4life said:

Extremely beefy stand for a 20, I like it.

Haha, yeah I had a 2x6 laying around and used it, along with the 2x4s.  Probably should have just spent the couple of extra bucks for another 2x4; but it's certainly solid.

I'm pretty sure I could have used 1x4s for this tank.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

What programme did you use for this?

I use SketchuUp Make.  It's fairly easy for anybody to learn/use.  The new version runs in your browser (I haven't tried that yet).

3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

nice stand, like the black

Thanks!  My tanks live in our utility room, so utilitarian is all that's really needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AIO insert plan:

I modified my AIO plans a bit by shrinking its depth, widening the center chamber (to fit a Tunze Comline DOC 9001 skimmer), opening the back to make it possible to insert it past the top rim, as well as compensating for the tank's silicone seams.

aioplan.jpg

I feel like I'm running out of time to do this project.  @Christopher Marks, does the AIO have to be complete prior to officially entering?

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
Christopher Marks

If you can show you have the empty tank with condiment inside, your work in progress DIY AIO plans as demonstrated above, and don't start up the tank before the AIO insert is installed, you'll be all set to enter and stay qualified. I will also still need to see a second condiment in tank photo with the AIO installed, before it gets filled up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, seabass said:

A slight mod to my AIO plans.  I've shrunk it a bit, while adjusting the center chamber for a Tunze Comline DOC 9001 skimmer (plus a heater):

021220a.jpg

I feel like I'm running out of time to do this project.  @Christopher Marks, does the AIO have to be complete prior to officially entering?

Yep , disqualified.  

No entrada

Go directly to jail 

• Haha 5

Thanks Christopher!  Will do.

6 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

If you can show you have the empty tank with condiment inside, your DIY AIO plans as demonstrated above, and don't start up the tank before the AIO insert is installed, you'll be all set to enter and stay qualified. I'd still like to see a second condiment photo...

• Haha 5

nice progress. yeah that is one heck of a stand for sure. just in case you want to stack 10 -20L on it.haha   better be save than sorry and better yet use what you got. 

oh my that is alos a lot of light is it gonna be SPS or do you just want options. that cool about the upgrade kit. great way to use what you got and light the 20L always a challenge.  

• Like 1
On 2/17/2020 at 11:31 AM, devaji108 said:

oh my that is alos a lot of light is it gonna be SPS or do you just want options. that cool about the upgrade kit. great way to use what you got and light the 20L always a challenge.

Thanks!  Yeah, probably just some montiporas.  It should work pretty well for the shrunken display side.

31d0j-cP8eL._QL70_.jpg

I feel that I'm moving at a snail's pace.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, seabass said:

I feel that I'm moving at a snail's pace.

31d0j-cP8eL._QL70_.jpg

HAHA well I dont even have a tank yet, so you are moving pretty fast to me 😛

I think this is going to be a fun tank watch come together, one of many reason I enjoy these challenges,  is to see what everyone come up with.  

• Thanks 1