Pod Your Reef

adding cured lr after cycled is completed

hoyteoh

as long as you dont have inhabitants you are fine. remember, once you add that rock you will be cycling your tank again. it will no longer be 'completed', but instead will be 'continuing'.

any inhabitants you have will be in danger.

nalbar

I have a mate who has a 50g reef, he replaces some of the LR every few months with fresh stuff. The reef is amazing! The only thing is that he uses uncured LR. In Western Australia we cen get the LR into the tanks a few short hours after collection from the ocean, therefore we dont have to cure it. Not sure how this would work with cured LR.

Originally posted by nalbar

remember, once you add that rock you will be cycling your tank again. it will no longer be 'completed', but instead will be 'continuing'.

any inhabitants you have will be in danger.

nalbar

Even if the rock is fully cured??

of course i did not mean cured rock. cured rock will not cycle. but rock that is out of water for even a few minutes will cycle to some extent. you either have to bring it home submerged in water or 'recure' it for a few days in another tank, bin, or bucket.

all you need to cure rock is a container, a powerhead, and a heater. partially cured rock is so easy to 'polish up' in a bucket its by far the best option.

btw, in a small cycle the hermits will make it, the snails maybe, the peppermint more than likely is a dead duck.

nalbar

Originally posted by nalbar

of course i did not mean cured rock. cured rock will not cycle. but rock that is out of water for even a few minutes will cycle to some extent. you either have to bring it home submerged in water or 'recure' it for a few days in another tank, bin, or bucket.

all you need to cure rock is a container, a powerhead, and a heater. partially cured rock is so easy to 'polish up' in a bucket its by far the best option.

btw, in a small cycle the hermits will make it, the snails maybe, the peppermint more than likely is a dead duck.

nalbar

Oh ok.Is just that I bought fully cured live rock from David M the other day,the good thing is that I had a bucket with water so that means no cycle.:)

If the rock you add is truly "cured" you should be OK. This is fresh rock that has been shipped and recured at some local site. If you buy "cured" rock on-line and it comes to you wrapped in newspaper, expect die off and a resultant cycle. Even buying local cured rock is hit and miss. Has anyone every questioned the validity of this other than smelling it? Smelling is a pretty good test, btw. I wonder if they would mind if I broke out my test kit in the "cured" rock tank?

If you want to be on the safe side, run the rock in a separate container until you either know it is cured... or it cures out. This way it does not affect your display. Then you can move it and feel pretty safe.

Another option is to add some base rock. This is as cured as it gets... all you need to do is wash them off.

If you grab a rock out of the ocean and stick it in your tank an hour or two later, the rock should have minimal die off and is already essentially"cured". Calling it "fresh" rock might be a better way to describe it. This is kind of like me moving rocks between my tanks.

If you grab a rock with sponges and expose them to the air, they are toast of course and should be scrubbed off. The "uncured" rock comes into effect after it is plucked from the water, shipped across the ocean and sits in a box for who knows how long.

Archived