Pod Your Reef

Water conditioner to use (for chloramines)

Tired

I have an RO/DI unit, but the tap water here has chloramines, so I have to treat the water to get rid of those. I'm currently using the API brand conditioner, which says it removes chloramines. Seems to be working, but it expires soonish, so I'm going to need another bottle. What do y'all use? 

• Like 1

I've never lived anywhere that doesn't use chloramines and I just use a standard 4-stage RODI unit with a regular carbon block (Sediment Filter, Carbon Block, RO Membrane, DI media) - I've never had any issues. You could get a more expensive chloramine block for your RODI unit if the chloramine levels are really high or problematic, but I don't bother.

I don't use any other conditioner or treatment for my water - straight from the RODI unit to the tank.

39 minutes ago, Tired said:

I have an RO/DI unit, but the tap water here has chloramines, so I have to treat the water to get rid of those. I'm currently using the API brand conditioner, which says it removes chloramines. Seems to be working, but it expires soonish, so I'm going to need another bottle. What do y'all use? 

I use the chloramine carbon filter in the rodi. Regular carbon filter can't remove chloramines so the di does most of that work.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Regular carbon filter can't remove chloramines so the di does most of that work.

That's not really true anymore - any block that has catalytic carbon is going to remove chloramines. Your refrigerator carbon filter isn't going to remove it, but even the cheapest no-name 1 micron carbon blocks are going to remove chloramines nowadays. They likely aren't going to be as effective compared to a block specifically manufactured for chloramines (or a dual block setup) and the higher the flow rate, the less they will remove, but your typical 60 gpd unit with a cheapo 1 micro block is going to remove most everything and your DI media will mop up the rest.

This is probably what most of us use, which will remove chloramine just fine (85%): https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-universal-carbon-block-filter-1-micron.html

4 minutes ago, jservedio said:

That's not really true anymore - any block that has catalytic carbon is going to remove chloramines. Your refrigerator carbon filter isn't going to remove it, but even the cheapest no-name 1 micron carbon blocks are going to remove chloramines nowadays. They likely aren't going to be as effective compared to a block specifically manufactured for chloramines (or a dual block setup) and the higher the flow rate, the less they will remove, but your typical 60 gpd unit with a cheapo 1 micro block is going to remove most everything and your DI media will mop up the rest.

I don't know, studies on the subject showed differently. BRS even did a study on the subject.

Chloramines are the most difficult to remove and they are hard on membranes so using the chloramine carbon blocks prevent destruction of the membrane as well as not having to use up so much DI.

Just now, Clown79 said:

I don't know, studies on the subject showed differently. BRS even did a study on the subject.

Chloramines are the most difficult to remove and they are hard on membranes so using the chloramine carbon blocks prevent destruction of the membrane as well as not having to use up so much DI.

How old is the study? I know 4 or 5 years ago very few carbon blocks would deal with chloramines (at least from memory) - but now pretty much every cheap universal block I see specifically lists how effectively it'll remove chloramines (most are over 85% effective at 2ppm) and I've never bought a block for more than $20.

Even if I do get a slightly shorter lifespan from my DI resin, it's just not worth the cost of a dedicated chloramine setup for a nano.

19 minutes ago, jservedio said:

How old is the study? I know 4 or 5 years ago very few carbon blocks would deal with chloramines (at least from memory) - but now pretty much every cheap universal block I see specifically lists how effectively it'll remove chloramines (most are over 85% effective at 2ppm) and I've never bought a block for more than $20.

Even if I do get a slightly shorter lifespan from my DI resin, it's just not worth the cost of a dedicated chloramine setup for a nano.

Can't remember but even rodi companies recommend chloramine blocks.

I did a lot of research on the subject before purchasing my rodi which was 2.5yrs ago.

I personally wouldn't run just regular carbon block from what I learned, not to mention destroying your membrane isn't worth the savings on the carbon 

23 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I personally wouldn't run just regular carbon block from what I learned, not to mention destroying your membrane isn't worth the savings on the carbon 

What I'm trying to say is that what is sold as a "regular carbon block" or "universal carbon block" now is actually a chloramine block (the one I linked to up top, or the pentek ones the sell everywhere). I don't know of any name-brand units that even ship with blocks incapable of handling chloramine, which isn't the same as it was a few years ago. I'm sure you can find plenty that don't deal with chloramines, but every one that I've found will handle 2,000-3,500 gallons with 2ppm of chloramine. My city is 2-3ppm of chloramines and my current membrane is 6 years old and still going strong, so they must be working pretty well!

Edit: Which block do you use? I use the BRS one I linked above and I've never had issues for years and years. I also think we may be crossing on terminology - when I say "chloramine specific filter" I mean the old-school Chloramine Monster filters that are more than $100 or a 5-stage system with dual blocks.

I also basically just listened to AZDesertRat about anything RODI related since that's what he did for a living.

Standard carbon blocks sold here don't deal with chloramine removal. We have to buy the Pentek chloramine block which are $30 each.

This is what's available for standard carbon here

https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/0.5uM-Carbon-block.html

https://www.aquariumdepot.ca/aquafx-carbon-block-cartridge-10.html

Yup we could order from BRS but $30 + Us shipping is ridiculous.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Standard carbon blocks sold here don't deal with chloramine removal. We have to buy the Pentek chloramine block which are $30 each.

This is what's available for standard carbon here

https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/0.5uM-Carbon-block.html

https://www.aquariumdepot.ca/aquafx-carbon-block-cartridge-10.html

Yup we could order from BRS but $30 + Us shipping is ridiculous.

Ah, I always forget you are from the Great White North! We were definitely talking past each other because everything "standard" I find around here deals with chloramines since adding ammonia to the water supply has become much more standard in the US

1 hour ago, jservedio said:

Ah, I always forget you are from the Great White North! We were definitely talking past each other because everything "standard" I find around here deals with chloramines since adding ammonia to the water supply has become much more standard in the US

Actually what's shocking is that most places here do use chlorine and chloramine yet getting supplies is limited, depending on the supply.

I use the standard RODI stuff (USA) with chloramines without issue. I change my filters every 6 months regardless what TDS reads because they are inexpensive and I make RO for drinking too and the bacteria slime that grows on those filters grosses me out 😉

• Haha 1