SaltCritters.com

Nano Tank Decisions....

Gakarl100

So trying to decide what route to go 10, 14, or 20 gallon nano.  I am leaning toward 20 cause I know as you build its always nice to have a little more room.  

My experience is I did a 12g jbj nano about 10 years ago, was a cool tank but ended up in the end modding the hell out of it.  Was a great way to get into the hobby.  Eventually moved onto 30T, then 75L, eventually 120T.  Then divorced moved and out of the hobby for several years.  Just getting back in and love how technology has changed things. 

I think I want to go AIO, but not interested in the JBJ again since I like the rimless tanks better and you end up modding the cubes anyway.

So here is what I am thinking about...  Any reason to go Nuvo versus WB?  The WB 20 is $100 less than the Nuvo 20, why?  Any anyone else know a better place to purchase?

I am looking at these tanks:

Nuvo Fusion Pro 10 - https://www.marinedepot.com/nuvo-fusion-10-pro-aio-10-gallon-aquarium-bundle-innovative-marine - $199

WB Cube 10 - https://www.marinedepot.com/cube-10-starphire-ultra-clear-10-gallon-aquarium-waterbox-aquariums - $129

WB Cube 20 - https://www.marinedepot.com/cube-20-starphire-ultra-clear-20-gallon-aquarium-waterbox-aquariums - $199

Nuvo Fusion 14 - https://www.marinedepot.com/nuvo-fusion-peninsula-14-pro-aio-14-gallon-aquarium-bundle-innovative-marine - $249

Nuvo Fusion Pro 20 - https://www.marinedepot.com/nuvo-fusion-20-pro-aio-20-gallon-aquarium-bundle-innovative-marine - $299

Thrassian Atoll

Think either company is a great choice.  Figure out what equipment you want too and the sizes of the rear chambers.  You will most likely want an intank media basket or something.  Make sure they make them for the Waterbox.  See what the return pumps are with both, as you might want to upgrade that, etc.  

4 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Think either company is a great choice.  Figure out what equipment you want too and the sizes of the rear chambers.  You will most likely want an intank media basket or something.  Make sure they make them for the Waterbox.  See what the return pumps are with both, as you might want to upgrade that, etc.  

5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

you can compare the list of included accessories that come with both brands.  That is roughly why the prices are different.  I think Nuvo is still the better bang for the bucks.   

Great points, did not think about the pumps that come in either, might be the reason for the extra cost.  That's why I posted for whatever I might not be thinking of...  and if you end up replacing stock parts quickly then the savings was wasted.  Also hadn't thought of chamber sizes.  Thanks!!!

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
5 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

Great points, did not think about the pumps that come in either, might be the reason for the extra cost.  That's why I posted for whatever I might not be thinking of...  and if you end up replacing stock parts quickly then the savings was wasted.  Also hadn't thought of chamber sizes.  Thanks!!!

Yeah, I think upgrading equipment to something else you prefer is inevitable with any aio.  Also take a look at stands if your wanting a stand too.  I know innovative marine stands are the same price if not more than the tank itself.

The IM Pro series comes with their media baskets which are great and the upgraded pump which is great, and the new mesh lid design(love it).  that being the reason for the price difference.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The IM Pro series comes with their media baskets which are great and the upgraded pump which is great, and the new mesh lid design(love it).  that being the reason for the price difference.

Now that I see this info from you and the others, I think its worth the extra $100 as well.  I think I am sold on the IM Pro. 

Any suggestion on a protein skimmer for the IM Pro 20?  I ran a AquaC Remora on my old JBJ 12 Nano and it was one of the best skimmers.  That was 10 years ago, so I am sure smaller, better (hopefully cheaper) technology is around.

15 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

Now that I see this info from you and the others, I think its worth the extra $100 as well.  I think I am sold on the IM Pro. 

Any suggestion on a protein skimmer for the IM Pro 20?  I ran a AquaC Remora on my old JBJ 12 Nano and it was one of the best skimmers.  That was 10 years ago, so I am sure smaller, better (hopefully cheaper) technology is around.

I don't use skimmers on my nano's, a lot of the ones made for nano's aren't known to be great and it's not necessary to run one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

Anyone user these Fuji tanks?  Good Bad indifferent?

https://www.fijicube.com/collections/all-in-one-aio-aquarium/products/22-4-gallon-rimless-aio-glass-nano-tank-fiji-cube?variant=13539733340229

I like the low-iron glass, seems to be a new thing now a days.  Wasn't popular a decade ago.  Is it really more clear?

Not myself, I use IM tanks. Great quality.

I'm sure someone has used them.

Try a search on the forum, you'll get more results regarding that specific tank

I have two IM's and love them both.  Easy to use, very clean look.  I use the IceCap K1 Nano Protien Skimmer in my IM 20.  Works well, not terribly expensive.  I added it well after I set up the tank so it's not a must at start up in my opinion.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FlytheWMark said:

I have two IM's and love them both.  Easy to use, very clean look.  I use the IceCap K1 Nano Protien Skimmer in my IM 20.  Works well, not terribly expensive.  I added it well after I set up the tank so it's not a must at start up in my opinion.

Thanks on the protein skimmer recommendation.  Does it fit well in the slots?

Any light recommendations for a nuvo fusion 20, one that can be used on pretty much any type of coral?

6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

It doesn't look bad but I like picking out my own stuff so I can check reviews and such.

Yea I get that. Picking the equipment is the best part for me but look at that equipment 😊.. that's the stuff I would pick anyways haha

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

Thanks on the protein skimmer recommendation.  Does it fit well in the slots?

Any light recommendations for a nuvo fusion 20, one that can be used on pretty much any type of coral?

I really wanted a skimmer when I got back into the hobby. Its seemed like a must have but.. nope wasted my money .. do yourself a favor and hold off on the skimmer for the 1st six months and if you feel you need one then grab it.. (spoiler alert *** you won't want one😆)

Congrats on getting back into the hobby .. and happy reefing🤙

Oh and the light convo is a long one..  but the choices will be: kessil, ai prime, nanobox, eco tech radion(crazy expensive)...  and dang it I cant think of the name but @WV Reefer what's that light you have on the 10gallon long??

Even though I don't have one I would prob go ai prime for a nano tank and if your tank doesnt have enough coverage then add a second one later.. or if you dont like their footprint then kessil 160 would be my choice..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, FISHnChix said:

I really wanted a skimmer when I got back into the hobby. Its seemed like a must have but.. nope wasted my money .. do yourself a favor and hold off on the skimmer for the 1st six months and if you feel you need one then grab it.. (spoiler alert *** you won't want one😆)

Oh and the light convo is a long one..  but the choices will be: kessil, ai prime, nanobox, eco tech radion(crazy expensive)...  and dang it I cant think of the name but @WV Reefer what's that light you have on the 10gallon long??

Even though I don't have one I would prob go ai prime for a nano tank and if your tank doesnt have enough coverage then add a second one later.. or if you dont like their footprint then kessil 160 would be my choice..

Current USA Marine Orbit Pro IC

.........and it’s a 12 gallon long. 😄

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Thanks @FISHnChix & @WV Reefer 🙏 helps narrow down research or at least give me a start. Trying to price things out and make priorities for purchases!!!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

Thanks @FISHnChix & @WV Reefer 🙏 helps narrow down research or at least give me a start. Trying to price things out and make priorities for purchases!!!

Just a heads up use the search function and you will find tons of recent threads of people asking about lighting.. start there and if you have specific questions on any of those lights one of us has used them and can help.  Honestly with the lights I mentioned you cant go wrong really, so pick the one the best suits your budget,  has features you like, and is most pleasing to your eye (as in shape and style of the light)

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Yea I get that. Picking the equipment is the best part for me but look at that equipment 😊.. that's the stuff I would pick anyways haha

Powerhead wise I would go KPS or Tunze over their selection and for rock I'm a big fan of reef cleaners if going dry. Some like that life rock that's is infused and it's less ugly to start. Live rock from kps is something I really want to try. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Powerhead wise I would go KPS or Tunze over their selection and for rock I'm a big fan of reef cleaners if going dry. Some like that life rock that's is infused and it's less ugly to start. Live rock from kps is something I really want to try. 

Yea I can see that in the power head. I dont think there is anything wrong with the one they picked but nothing special about it either.. I really like the cheap jeabos and they are dc with variable speed.

I really really liked the shapes of the brs rock. And had no issues with leeching phos.. even though I get killed over it I'm sooooo glad I went away from live rock this time.. hated the pests.. made the hobby not enjoyable for me.. plus the time you have and the ease of scapeing dry rock is nice..

I have only heard great things about john at reef cleaners though.  Very rare to hear nothing but positive things about a vendor.. must be a stand up guy...

Oh and white rock doesn't stay white for long  you know this you have been in the reefing game way longer than me😆😆..   heres my ugly dry rock a year in on the new tank (and it covered super fast for me) SOOO PURPLE🤗

20200207_154459.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
12 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Yea I can see that in the power head. I dont think there is anything wrong with the one they picked but nothing special about it either.. I really like the cheap jeabos and they are dc with variable speed.

I really really liked the shapes of the brs rock. And had no issues with leeching phos.. even though I get killed over it I'm sooooo glad I went away from live rock this time.. hated the pests.. made the hobby not enjoyable for me.. plus the time you have and the ease of scapeing dry rock is nice..

I have only heard great things about john at reef cleaners though.  Very rare to hear nothing but positive things about a vendor.. must be a stand up guy...

Oh and white rock doesn't stay white for long  you know this you have been in the reefing game way longer than me😆😆..   heres my ugly dry rock a year in on the new tank (and it covered super fast for me) SOOO PURPLE🤗

20200207_154459.jpg

Looks great!! Most of my rock was dry reef cleaners rock but I often add bits of live rock cuz pests don't scare me...🦸‍♀️I know many get freaked out about them though.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Current USA Marine Orbit Pro IC

.........and it’s a 12 gallon long. 😄

I dig that orbit led light, I had one of their old school T5 light before I went to MH back in the day. 

• Like 1