Cultivated Reef

Tamberav's 5g pico in 365 - Sept photo dump!

Tamberav

ECLS Reefer
48 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Almost impossible tragically.

Supposedly, in a big enough tank, springers won't kill each other. 

Could always try to get a small pair and see if they well... Pair up, but fair warning -if they spawn- damselfish pairing is more the male tolerating the female's existence, that can change quickly.

Yeah may skip that then 😬 May just hang with what I have in those cases. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
Glauber Carvalho
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

MVIMG_20200729_190934.thumb.jpg.3f2b292b4fb78b405d825c77b706f93d.jpg

I'll love to see all these frags grown!

Starkii

🙂

MVIMG_20200729_195941.thumb.jpg.0d12b11da892e8f68e61ead1bdb720c2.jpg

And I love this colors too!!!!

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Yeah may skip that then 😬 May just hang with what I have in those cases. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage, just temper. I adore damselfish, they're some of my absolute favorite personalities in this entire hobby, but there are just certain realities about trying to keep more-intelligent saltwater turbo-chiclids in glass boxes.

Sorry to hijack.

• Like 3

Doing another water change cuz I have time. Got some top downs cuz those are the best.... If we didn't need flow for life I would have just a big shallow trough for corals.

The little acro is coloring up and seems like it is choosing to live.

MVIMG_20200801_172357.thumb.jpg.7410764fba252cb55a936619d8856200.jpg

MVIMG_20200801_172109.thumb.jpg.4a64f85d0c7909c737f995252e5e3d9b.jpg

MVIMG_20200801_172126.thumb.jpg.1045d6de35bce00106f4b61e7602431a.jpg

MVIMG_20200801_172246.thumb.jpg.ea2bc45de3d00c55eca3f03c9973c22d.jpg

• Like 7

Wow this tank is a beauty Tambarev! Awesome job! really love all the diversity and growth.

What intensity do you keep your LED's? What settings are using for your Aquamai? Are you dosing or just keeping up with water changes? Sorry for all the questions

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Rehype said:

Wow this tank is a beauty Tambarev! Awesome job! really love all the diversity and growth.

What intensity do you keep your LED's? What settings are using for your Aquamai? Are you dosing or just keeping up with water changes? Sorry for all the questions

I am just doing 80% water changes (about 3g) whenever I have free time. It gets pretty stinky when I go 2 weeks though!! Trying to do it 1-2 times a week now. I have thought about dosing but dosing requires testing and I have never tested anything on here.....that might be more work 😛 

For the wavemaker, I just picked a pre-set someone made called SPS 200l - it is both waves and random flow with night being 'smooth' flow which is nice since the tank is next to my head when I sleep.

Light schedule is 9 hours, 1 hour blues at 80%, Peak is 80% blues 16% white/lime, and another hour of blues at 80%. The fixture is an older lime module which obviously works just as great as mint, it just makes your tank more natural colored in the day. 

Filtration is just floss and a bag of carbon I change maybe once a month and I feed frozen daily, pretty heavy, I don't wash my frozen as I figure the juice is for the corals.

• Like 3

I may have made a mistake... I am pretty sure if it continues at this rate it will sting or smother other corals in short order.

I am not even sure what type of coral it is tbh as I am bad at that and I got it marked as a freebie. I like the pink dots on it but may have to remove it and think of something else to put there.

July 29

MVIMG_20200729_190934.thumb.jpg.3f2b292b4fb78b405d825c77b706f93d.jpg

Aug 9

MVIMG_20200809_134904.thumb.jpg.df88dbeba97092aeb4047576651f6fc0.jpg

MVIMG_20200809_135125.thumb.jpg.fbe94cd8d80652a474504a7d194922a7.jpg

• Like 5
Snow_Phoenix
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Thanks, I was kind of thinking chalice too. I was hoping it would be one of the slow growing types but looks more like one of the fast ones! 

Cherry Garcia Chalice. I have one - it needs room. Can even melt yumas if they're too close.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Well the pretty little mean thing is getting evicted then :scarry:

Ugh, I wish you lived closer, would love that lol...

(/EndJoke)

Yeah chalices don't lose to many corals when the fighting starts, but man are they beautiful, the biggest issue is they have super variable growth rates -even within the same species- so it's really hard to know what placement is best.

Some have crazy sweepers, others have hydnophora distance-melting slime, some are just weeds like stunners...

• Like 2

Removed the chalice today and will have to find something to replace it with.

Did a water change...my salt is a solid block and mixes up to 5 for Alk so I have been dosing it back up to 7.5 and then filtering it through a 100 micron sock to remove the precipitation. Seems to work fine this way. I didn't want to toss two boxes of salt!! 

This is how much water I replace 😛

Just enough for the fish to swim in.

MVIMG_20200810_171635.thumb.jpg.d3debda85125af15597811a4e2038e4e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Little bit of issue with high temps this week...and not able to do much as I am working 6 12 hours shifts. Just two corals look a angry but overall everything looks ok.

I decided to treat the tank to an expensive salt since it's so tiny anyways...no idea if it will matter but at least it will mix up faster. I will go ahead and do a smaller water change to start since it mixes up a bit different parameter wise.

I decided to try classic as I don't dose. I may swap to the pro if I decide to dose.

IMG_20200821_133944.thumb.jpg.21c57f71b759dcba96d22b7b068c5bbb.jpg

• Like 2

Okay did a little investigating on my ONE day off. The central air is not working as it normally does or something. The house was 78 when I woke up and I turn the air on to 74 and it usually easily keeps it that. It is now in the 80s downstairs so you can imagine how hot is is upstairs and was probably like this all week while I was at work.

I have a spare portable floor AC from when I had an apartment without air so I put that up their for now to try and not turn this into a full disaster. 

Heat always comes and bites me in the ass. Winter is so much easier on the tanks.

The central air seems like it's working as it's blowing but my husband thinks it's not much air coming out as it usually does... It also doesn't feel very cold. I am out of town next week too! And my husband works 6 12 hour shifts all month. May have to ride this out for a bit.

My poor puppers is panting and sitting in front of the AC now.

MVIMG_20200821_152825.thumb.jpg.b5bf271673e3f4a41ac83db5f4eebd21.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
33 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Okay did a little investigating on my ONE day off. The central air is not working as it normally does or something. The house was 78 when I woke up and I turn the air on to 74 and it usually easily keeps it that. It is now in the 80s downstairs so you can imagine how hot is is upstairs and was probably like this all week while I was at work.

I have a spare portable floor AC from when I had an apartment without air so I put that up their for now to try and not turn this into a full disaster. 

Heat always comes and bites me in the ass. Winter is so much easier on the tanks.

The central air seems like it's working as it's blowing but my husband thinks it's not much air coming out as it usually does... It also doesn't feel very cold. I am out of town next week too! And my husband works 6 12 hour shifts all month. May have to ride this out for a bit.

That’s not even a survivable thing here in Texas. If the A/C goes out it’s a critical problem 

41 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You may have a leak, if you've got a heat gun (infrared thermometer)  ya' might find the air is 10+ degrees warmer, most folks can't tell a temperature delta smaller than 15 or so even exists, so if it feels warm -it might unfortunately be warm-.
Some units just need to be topped-off every once in a while, others will spring leaks, but I'd get it checked out. Had a fridge in a cellar I worked at which had a constant-drip of Freon which would fall and evaporate from the floor every few seconds XD

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

You may have a leak, if you've got a heat gun (infrared thermometer)  ya' might find the air is 10+ degrees warmer, most folks can't tell a temperature delta smaller than 15 or so even exists, so if it feels warm -it might unfortunately be warm-.
Some units just need to be topped-off every once in a while, others will spring leaks, but I'd get it checked out. Had a fridge in a cellar I worked at which had a constant-drip of Freon which would fall and evaporate from the floor every few seconds XD

Thanks! We rent so I will have to call the owner and let him know.

• Like 1
On 8/10/2020 at 9:55 PM, Tamberav said:

Removed the chalice today and will have to find something to replace it with.

Did a water change...my salt is a solid block and mixes up to 5 for Alk so I have been dosing it back up to 7.5 and then filtering it through a 100 micron sock to remove the precipitation. Seems to work fine this way. I didn't want to toss two boxes of salt!! 

This is how much water I replace 😛

Just enough for the fish to swim in.

MVIMG_20200810_171635.thumb.jpg.d3debda85125af15597811a4e2038e4e.jpg

I literally JUST got that tank yesterday, super excited to watch how your tank evolves and what I can do with mine

2 hours ago, Frozen_Reef said:

I literally JUST got that tank yesterday, super excited to watch how your tank evolves and what I can do with mine

Yay!!! The back chambers are super basic but it doesn't matter... its enough to hide a heater. I really like the tank so far and its very inexpensive. The glass lid is the best... not on janky clips. The back cover is meh so I just lay it over to slow evap. It warps is the problem but it's not really an important piece. I was thinking about picking up the 3g and putting some pests in it 🙂

• Like 1
Just now, Tamberav said:

Yay!!! The back chambers are super basic but it doesn't matter... its enough to hide a heater. I really like the tank so far and its very inexpensive. The glass lid is the best... not on janky clips. The back cover is meh so I just lay it over to slow evap. It warps is the problem but it's not really an important piece. I was thinking about picking up the 3g and putting some pests in it 🙂

I’m literally about to get the 3G too but for RFAs and sexy shrimp (or maybe pests now)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You can see some white tips and center on the birdnests from when the central air broke but the tank mostly made it just fine. As soon as I got a window AC in....the STN stopped.

I rearranged some stuff...I had bought a few SPS just days before the central air broke and put them on a frag rack in this take instead of the 80. That ultimately saved them. So I made room for them in here. 

Debating on removing the gorgs...when they shed...they make a huge mess. Just not sure what to put there instead. Maybe I will just remove some of them so only one is shedding.

I told my hubby not to feed the tank when I was gone but he said he felt bad for the fish...he fed em...so...well.. the tank glass was covered in brown film when I came home and I couldn't see into the tank but nothing was worse for wear. It just smelled like a swamp again so I did a water change.

A stomella was also spawning today.

MVIMG_20200903_214301.thumb.jpg.ada1f06ebe18223260697f6ea6ff5645.jpg

MVIMG_20200903_214404.thumb.jpg.77efb9bdaefb3419f643412cc759a7bf.jpg

MVIMG_20200903_214628.thumb.jpg.9bcb7ca7a004ec2e7dcdd17eed6868bb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
5 hours ago, Amphrites said:

That monti undata is something else, beach bum?

Just a RR Nauti Spiral... 🙂

pic does it no justice... its orange and gold and red. It seems pretty hardy too as the mother colony survived lots of abuse. It is one of those older corals that have been around for years but people kind of forget about how pretty it is with all the newly named monti's. Not too expensive either. 

• Wow 1

Just a RR Nauti Spiral... 🙂

pic does it no justice... its orange and gold and red. It seems pretty hardy too as the mother colony survived lots of abuse. It is one of those older corals that have been around for years but people kind of forget about how pretty it is with all the newly named monti's. Not too expensive either. 

Do you ever frag your stuff to sell?