Cultivated Reef

Jared’s 365 challenge - new uns 40c

ef4life

Laying in bed this morning enjoying the 40g. Then just turn to the side and I can enjoy the pico.

Now I just have to figure out the aqua scape and start planning on stocking this thing. I’m open to suggestions. I definitely want a fish in the pico for sure.

78630642-4E3F-4C26-B0F7-15C003077C52.jpeg

27F3FC1D-4506-4B79-8B3D-D1D6BCD24834.jpeg

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

What did you use for the lid?

It's looking really good! I like the creative use of tile!!

Thank you 🙂

It’s a brs mesh screen lid kit, I originally bought years ago for the 40g, but never used it. So I cut it down to fit the pico. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SliceGolfer said:

I’ve never really liked the branch rock or the prices it demands, it seems really awkward to me. I do have some rocks from the 40g I removed, and since this is hopefully going to stay a cheap build I’m probably just going to use them for this tank. I also have a bunch more travertine i can use too, but I’m unsure how I would use it to make a good looking scape. 

• Like 1

Searching around on offerup for a Kessil a80, I came across an ai prime hd for sale for a decent price, with the gooseneck mount. I’m planning to make it mine tomorrow. Plan is to put it on the pico, but it might be too much light so an a80 still might be in the future. I just really like the kessil lights for some reason

• Like 1

Just met the seller and picked up my new to me ai prime. This thing is going to be awesome. I’m probably going to have to run this light on like 25% power to not melt everything under it.

so much for being a cheap build lol

E57E993C-F125-4141-BA27-2B53C62AA510.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got the prime mounted and programmed. Also stealth mounted my digital thermometer to the gooseneck. Easy temp readings at a glance. I have the light turn on at 7am, off at 10pm 5hr ramp up/down time. sort of the brs ab+ program, just dimmed way down. Any prime gd users want to chime in on the programming?

E0733F9B-4A30-4ADF-BA6C-CFE39910593D.jpeg

2F1BDB87-00E2-4C47-A436-B5367B4A05B1.jpeg

0ECA36FA-E5A6-4F85-AAE0-3C8F013AA80E.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, This guy is extra salty said:

The weir insert! This is very sweet looking why did you decide on tile?

Tile is my daily grind, so I had it laying around for free. Also the travertine should/will become live once bacteria gets going in the tank.

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty
51 minutes ago, ef4life said:

Tile is my daily grind, so I had it laying around for free. Also the travertine should/will become live once bacteria gets going in the tank.

Lol I feel you on the free DIY.

I’m guessing you dislike doing grout too? 🤣

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Lol I feel you on the free DIY.

I’m guessing you dislike doing grout too? 🤣

Haha grout is the best - it means the job is done and we get paid!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So the ai prime gooseneck doesn’t hold its bendy shape so well, and the tank glass is paper thin so I’m afraid I’m going to break it with constantly adjusting it. I’m brainstorming a fix hopefully I can implement tonight for minimal effort.

also the brute trash can is full finally, I just have to finalize the right level of salt mix when I get home and fill this pico up!!!! 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, ef4life said:

So the ai prime gooseneck doesn’t hold its bendy shape so well, and the tank glass is paper thin so I’m afraid I’m going to break it with constantly adjusting it. I’m brainstorming a fix hopefully I can implement tonight for minimal effort.

also the brute trash can is full finally, I just have to finalize the right level of salt mix when I get home and fill this pico up!!!! 

Having the same issue with my Kessil so running a different light at the moment. Interned to see what you do

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

The whole build is super creative and polished.  Well done sir!

I like @SliceGolfer's suggestion on the rocks.  My favorite of the 3 was this one:  https://premiumaquatics.com/products/tropic-eden-supreme-tonga-branch-rock-sold-lb-dry.html

Maybe 1-3 greenbanded gobies? 

Thank you, I appreciate the input. 

Ill have to look into those gobies. Been looking around a lot at different online vendors. Been to a couple local stores checking out what they have, so far nothing has really jumped out as a must have for this tank.

So cheap and easy, bought a small section of 1x3 wood for a couple bucks, drilled a few holes and remounted the light off the tank. The gooseneck has less extreme bends and seems to hold in place where I want it. I may just do another mount totally in the future, but this works for now. All the cables are Velcro straped together to keep them in some sort of order.

75FEA780-A1F3-4503-AF44-E300B2D07077.jpeg

D207F7C3-2CD6-4ACD-A423-57F843CF1F6E.jpeg

2AC1B564-A308-4C8D-8A64-8CA29864DC79.jpeg

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Tired said:

I'm intrigued to see how all the white will work out. Got a feeling it's gonna turn green real fast.

Yeah I don’t know, we will see. Im planning on getting it wet today. I’m going to put a marine pure cube from one of my other tanks in to jump start the cycle. I have a piece of rock in my 40 now that has some gsp and red mushrooms from my biocube, so it’s been in a reef for almost 7 years. I’m thinking I’m going to put it in this tank, the rest will be dry rock which I have laying around. My plan is to keep the lights off for a few weeks to let everything get established and stable, add a fish or fishes, figure out a cheap ato solution, and plan out my coral selection.

if algae does start to get out of hand I have vibrant on the shelf to beat it into submission.

28 minutes ago, vqreefer said:

Super cool! Are you doing any substrate over the bottom?

No it’s just that, no sand. Right now it sort of looks like sand but it’s not. I want to have the entire bottom encrusted in corals and coralline.

• Like 1