Top Shelf Aquatics

Jared’s 365 challenge - new uns 40c

ef4life

ECLS Reefer
12 hours ago, ef4life said:

blue candy canes really have taken off, the one head up front split into 5 heads.
94947588-F563-4932-8F95-B980567EE4E1.thumb.jpeg.2539d3b4b6931665a548652e63b95456.jpeg

Plate coral is happy, I can’t say it has had too much skeletal growth, but it’s flesh is nice and puffy and great color. blue hammer isn’t in the greatest shape, it died back a bit and it’s rather small but doing ok now. 
C3BD30D7-4423-447F-99E3-DF0656D40D08.thumb.jpeg.3aff1c6ab12e5f6a6badeaa62829e7cb.jpeg

these greens get a lot of flow and the polyps have stayed rather small, but steadily growing and splitting.

7D39EB99-34C6-46F0-BE34-209E6CD0D4C2.thumb.jpeg.0260e9544cd4186d6ec3006befc727aa.jpeg

E809ED56-0086-457F-BB2D-E13799371FB4.thumb.jpeg.521abb62d7bccd75e71e8ff0fbb7cd7f.jpeg

this bird of paradise has been growing well the polyps are pretty translucent compared to when I put it in, but the flesh is nice and green, but pale. I would assume some nitrate would help, I ended up pulling all the acros because the ycg was destroying them. Seems he won’t touch birdsnest coral, so I have a tiny chunk of pink I added in we will see how it goes. Ycg also destroyed the digitatas. 

D2D7CA48-56CB-4CDE-94A7-36719C44B05E.thumb.jpeg.737932404e51e0f8a6bb833808e932fa.jpeg

Wow I guess I had no idea they would go after corals. They are so cute, too bad they’re naughty!

ECLS Reefer
6 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Yeah my YCG just sits on my acro picking at it.. was a £10er test frag lucky for me. So test results are in for me, don't get sps 

One of my LFS has a 1200g display aquarium and it’s maybe a year old? He has a huge acro with an equally huge citron or coral croucher  goby living in the acro. I wondered if he ever nibbles it. 

• Like 1

I honestly don’t mind not having some sps, it makes it easier to take care of. The sps made recovery in my 40g, and I have so much digitata it’s not really a loss. And the ycg is so cute he gets a pass.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Tired said:

Check the filters in your RODI unit. I got a cyano surge when I forgot to change my carbon for too long. 

I have done that, all new with new membrane last month. So hopefully it goes away as all my stored water gets used up 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, ef4life said:

I have done that, all new with new membrane last month. So hopefully it goes away as all my stored water gets used up 

I’m wondering if it’s a change of seasons, or the water sources here in the valley changed for summer. I’ve talked to a lot of people they have been battling cyano here in the last month or so. (Including us)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I’m wondering if it’s a change of seasons, or the water sources here in the valley changed for summer. I’ve talked to a lot of people they have been battling cyano here in the last month or so. (Including us)

Maybe, it’s been kinda crazy persistent. I’m hopeful it goes away soon.

On 6/2/2021 at 9:25 AM, Murphych said:

Yeah my YCG just sits on my acro picking at it.. was a £10er test frag lucky for me. So test results are in for me, don't get sps 

Mine hasn’t touched either birdsnest so far, so not all sps is on the menu at least for mine. I have some green and ponape birds nest to add in pretty soon.

you can’t hate them 🙂

https://i.imgur.com/mNYe1SF.mp4

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

It’s been a while.

little pico has been chugging along. fighting cyano still, in going to do a chemi clean treatment soon. I’ve been dosing no3 and po4 again trying to get them up. 

little Pete the ycg died. Not sure what happened, he was fine the other day, the night before he disappeared he didn’t have much appetite but seemed ok. Then he was gone the next day. Never found his body either.

so I’m pretty sad about him passing, but now I can put some acro and montipora in without them getting eaten.

still haven’t done much with the new tank, but im going to start working on it pretty soon. I’m ready for a change 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, ef4life said:

It’s been a while.

little pico has been chugging along. fighting cyano still, in going to do a chemi clean treatment soon. I’ve been dosing no3 and po4 again trying to get them up. 

little Pete the ycg died. Not sure what happened, he was fine the other day, the night before he disappeared he didn’t have much appetite but seemed ok. Then he was gone the next day. Never found his body either.

so I’m pretty sad about him passing, but now I can put some acro and montipora in without them getting eaten.

still haven’t done much with the new tank, but im going to start working on it pretty soon. I’m ready for a change 

I’m there with you fighting cyano. I’ve just decided after seeing this stuff show up more than once now, that the phosphates just need to stay above 0.15-0.2. At least for my tanks. 

32 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

I’m there with you fighting cyano. I’ve just decided after seeing this stuff show up more than once now, that the phosphates just need to stay above 0.15-0.2. At least for my tanks. 

Interesting, I seem to have got rid of in it my 40g system finally. Less cleaning seems like it was key. I didn’t check my phosphate this week but last week it was .12 so maybe your on to something.

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
23 minutes ago, ef4life said:

Interesting, I seem to have got rid of in it my 40g system finally. Less cleaning seems like it was key. I didn’t check my phosphate this week but last week it was .12 so maybe your on to something.

Yeah I’ve about shown myself that absolutely no phosphate removal system is necessary in the Evo and that less aggressive removal is needed in the 120g. Seems the cyano is finally starting to fade away in the Evo again by feeding more heavily. Goal is to get the level back to close to .2 for a while and see if it completely leaves, then plan from there on feeding, control methods

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

After a brief period of mourning for little Pete, last week I added in a bunch of stuff that he would have treated like an all he could eat buffet.

I’ve been dosing the brightwell nitrate and phosphate, yesterday I finally got a reading .01 po4, 1 no3.  Tank is doing good, all for reef is keeping things pretty stable on the calcium and alkalinity side. I did just mix up my first batch of diy all for reef too which should last almost forever. I did not do the chemi clean, cyano has lessened up on its own I guess. I did pull out the hammers I had, the cyano annoyed them too much, still alive but it will be a long recovery in the big tank.

C10D3291-4B1E-47E4-99D1-534703635AA9.thumb.jpeg.0b3198ea28312082a5db92c148f4aaa4.jpeg913C1A8F-2E3E-4F99-961F-347BEC5856FB.thumb.jpeg.e93fb22f276a93370cd685d91f6a2a72.jpegBE2347CE-F3BF-4C79-9658-CB3ECC96F7B5.thumb.jpeg.65aca00deb189ce4e9f7c53c224873b7.jpeg

• Like 7

Phosphate might be a tinge low, usually you want 0.03ppm at most. 

Looks really nice! What's that orange branching fellow with the green tips, forest fire digitata? 

Any plans on another fish? A trimma goby is a nice little guy that won't nip any of your corals. Or, if you can get one from KP Aquatics, a roughhead blenny is a great fish. Like a mini barnacle blenny. 

2 hours ago, Tired said:

Phosphate might be a tinge low, usually you want 0.03ppm at most. 

Looks really nice! What's that orange branching fellow with the green tips, forest fire digitata? 

Any plans on another fish? A trimma goby is a nice little guy that won't nip any of your corals. Or, if you can get one from KP Aquatics, a roughhead blenny is a great fish. Like a mini barnacle blenny. 

Yeah it’s low but I can’t feed anymore without algae taking over, but it’s now north of zero so it’s a start. Daily dose currently is .3ml (.015ppm) po4 so not much room for error. Slowly working the dosage up .1 ml a week. Nitrate is .75ml for 1.5ppm increase. I know in the next week or 2 I’m going to have to increase the afr dose. All those corals are going to start growing once settled in.

That coral is a bubblegum digitata.

right now no more fish, the chromis and blenny are still in there doing well. 

• Like 1

😭😭😭😭 little Pete the tail spot blenny died. I don’t know what happened. 

I don’t believe there was any foul play by the chromis, but 2 fish in 2-3 weeks is strange. All 3 fish got along well. 

• Sad 2
  • 1 month later...

Pico is still chugging along,  all the montiporas have all just slowly died, not sure why. But everything else has been doing very well. I’m still getting some cyano patches but it’s not too bad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I pulled out some dead skeletons of montipora this morning, and gave the old pico a deep scrubbing. Cleaned the return pump that was barely moving water, sucked up 1/2 a filter sock worth of detritus, 1 g water change. 

Last time I checked the alk 2 weeks ago it crept up to 12 dkh, I’ve switched to Red Sea coral pro salt temporarily so I’m sure the increase was partially to the high dkh of the salt at the last water change, and the all for reef diy mix I made probably has a slightly different potency compared to the factory mix and maybe the dosing pumps accuracy. I need to do a full panel of water tests this afternoon, then see if my po4 and no3 dosing is still looking good or not. I’ve been adding .025 ppm po4 and 3 ppm nitrate daily. 

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
2 minutes ago, ef4life said:

I pulled out some dead skeletons of montipora this morning, and gave the old pico a deep scrubbing. Cleaned the return pump that was barely moving water, sucked up 1/2 a filter sock worth of detritus, 1 g water change. 

Last time I checked the alk 2 weeks ago it crept up to 12 dkh, I’ve switched to Red Sea coral pro salt temporarily so I’m sure the increase was partially to the high dkh of the salt at the last water change, and the all for reef diy mix I made probably has a slightly different potency compared to the factory mix and maybe the dosing pumps accuracy. I need to do a full panel of water tests this afternoon, then see if my po4 and no3 dosing is still looking good or not. I’ve been adding .025 ppm po4 and 3 ppm nitrate daily. 

I don’t know which diy mix you used (the single item powder, or the liquids and and powders of the individual ingredients all mixed together), but I found the single powder version actually needed about 10% more being dosed than our first batch with all of the individual products, on our 80 gallon.

It might be worth recalibrating the doser, to make sure the correct amount is being dosed as well.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I don’t know which diy mix you used (the single item powder, or the liquids and and powders of the individual ingredients all mixed together), but I found the single powder version actually needed about 10% more being dosed than our first batch with all of the individual products, on our 80 gallon.

It might be worth recalibrating the doser, to make sure the correct amount is being dosed as well.  

I did the diy carbo cal, mag and the a and k trace. I need to look back in my logbook, but I believe I increased the dose slightly when I added in a bunch of new stuff, now that it’s dead I probably just need to lower it back down.

either way at 12 dkh all the lps and zoas are fine, the birdsnest and myagi both are doing well, so I’m not overly worried. If anything I’m more worried about decreasing it too fast.

I added the 3D reefing ai prime diffuser about a week ago. With the tank now super clean I really like this thing. It blocks some light spill, and blends the colors together better, and it muted some of the shimmer, looks very 14k metal halide now at full 100% 

This is not my best photo work, just quick phone snap with the tank stil a little cloudy. This it the ai prime no diffuser at 100%.  you can really see the hot spot on the wall just above the tank. 

1EF9F7FC-2F6C-45F1-9ECA-71F378980585.thumb.jpeg.c5cdf80a358e71caa44e4e830f3c715c.jpeg

Ai prime at 100% with the diffuser, the amount of light spill blockage is more pronounced in person vs the picture, Especially laying in bed next to it. But the diffusion is the real reason I got it. I did increase the blue channels about 10% each to compensate for the intensity loss 

106B2039-3D05-4D9B-88B2-47C9FE44CDE8.thumb.jpeg.4e324215eedddf0dc4a05047df83bf81.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Love the background of this tank! How did you frost it? Sticker or spray paint? I'm sure more algae grows on it, would you do it again? I'm only asking because I want to do this for my new tank...

It’s just a frosted film I bought on Amazon, it’s like a window cling, so no adhesive or anything, peels right off. It’s on the outside glass. 

I think it looks great but I wish it stuck better as it has air bubbles and stuff and the edge peels back easily when cleaning the glass, but a little spritz of rodi and squeegee action it’s back down. You don’t really notice any air bubbles when looking at the tank unless you focus on them.  

Some type of media blasting to frost the glass would probably be the absolute best option

• 4 months later...

This was a few weeks back before I broke the glass accidentally moving my light. It wasn’t catastrophic, it is cracked above the waterline for the most part.

https://i.imgur.com/obfEr08.jpg

I was planning on doing up a new travertine aio setup in a aqueon 10g, I ordered the silicone but the tank was beginning to seep water a little too much for my liking, so I just dropped the travertine bottom and the rock and coral into a bare 10g, i re routed all the wires and dosing lines to be clean and neat, and added an ac50 hob filter for filtration and I stuffed the heater inside. 

new 10g tank set up peninsula style. The new view is definitely taking some getting used to, and I removed the led backlighting.

https://i.imgur.com/hNdaAKb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ODagUsd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rpmELsg.jpg

the side the you used to be up

against the back glass- there hardly any coral on it for now.
https://i.imgur.com/Fc3d8sw.jpg

top down views in this tank are going to be the prime viewing spot.

https://i.imgur.com/5Nrgcv7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1