Pod Your Reef

Green star polyps not opening

aviator300

I have two small frags of green star polyps. That I transferred from my 5 gallon tank into a 3/4 gallon tank. Same salt mix same temperature. Same specific gravity , same lighting , Etc. My plan is to do 100% weekly water change. The polyps were fully open in my 5 gallon. But since I switched them to my 3/4 gallon. They have not opened at all. . They have been there. Almost a week now. The map looks healthy. And all the polyps are there. But they just won't open. They have medium lighting and medium flow. Any ideas out there? Would be greatly appreciated.

Don’t do the Water Change. Green Stars do that, mine didn’t open for over a week, except for just a few polyps. Even when feed. After they opened back up I had a growth spurt from them. Also I now have them in another area of the tank, that’s far away from where they are at.

I can also say that GSP will do that. GSP are hardy (hard to kill) and grow fairly quickly, but they do get pissed off sometimes and close up for a while. I've had GSP close randomly for a week or so, numerous times. Just give it some time

The first time I fragged it, I took out a tiny piece (4 or 5 polyps). With my clumsiness, I dropped the piece and it flew below the rocks into the darkness, way out of reach. Months later, while rearranging the rocks, i found it there under the rock. I brought it out into the light and within a couple of days the polyps were out again. 

OOOOOPPS. I figured out what was wrong. I had some live rock in it that i thought was cycled but i guess it wasn't. I went back to basics and haddiscovered Ammonia at almost 2.0.   I put the corals and rock back in my 5 gal (which also had Ammonia of 1.5 ). I added Seachem Prime and seeded bacteria with Bio Spira and this morning the coral was starting to peek out..i guess when problems arise, we need to start with the basics. I will follow up in several days and advise.

• Like 1