Cultivated Reef

Green Bubble Tip Anemone Care Help

MurpReefer

Good Morning,

I just upgrade my tank from a 46 gallon bow front to a 65 gallon tank this weekend. I noticed this morning that my bubble tip anemone has its mouth open with large whispy brown stuff coming out of its mouth. Should I be concerned? I switched over from a sand bottom to a bare bottom in the new tank, but I am running two sumps, one which has a 4 inch sand bed with live rock and chaeto. The tank has steady parameters, nitrates 1, phosphates .1, ph 8.1, temp 78.5, dkh 11, using coral pro salt. I was using two 72watt mace grow lights and a 165 watt phlizon on the 46gallon bowfront. I have switched over to 300 watt relassy led with two t5 actinic lighting.  I am not enamored with the 300watt relassy, so I could return it and run three 165 watt phlizon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

spacer.pngspacer.png

How deep and how old was the sandbed that you stirred up?

How was the anemone doing before you stirred up the sand bed?

The anemone looks very stressed and the brown stuff you see discharging is its zooxanthellae. If it doesn't lose its color soon - it might bleach soon. 

Are there any other corals expressing stress signs?

You could have stressed it out with the light switching. 

When upgrading your tank lights after running the grow lights for so long, your tank needs time to acclimate to the new light. For starters, I would immediately lower the level of light intensity making it into the tank.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:46 AM, MurpReefer said:

spacer.png

Looks like he's expelling his symbionts in the act of bleaching.

but I am running two sumps, one which has a 4 inch sand bed with live rock and chaeto

Not sure you're going to want this competing with your corals for nutrients in the long run.

Your test numbers look OK for the time being though, assuming they are correct.

I was using two 72watt mace grow lights and a 165 watt phlizon on the 46gallon bowfront. I have switched over to 300 watt relassy led with two t5 actinic lighting.  I am not enamored with the 300watt relassy, so I could return it and run three 165 watt phlizon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You didn't really want to do a lighting upgrade.  (Even if you thought you did want to.)

Turn the lights down so the level of lighting is the same as it was over the old tank.  Use a light meter to confirm the old system's levels AND the new system's levels.

Changing back to the old setup would probably be fine too.

Whatever you do, do it fast before any more damage happens.