Cultivated Reef

Daan's Waterbox peninsula mini 25 - 365 Day Challenge

Daan6661

So since my rock is bleach curing atm, my biospheres have to do the cycling. Ammonia already dropped a week ago but starting last week my nitrites where at least 5ppm and ammonia was at 0,25 again. This was probably caused by taking out the rock after it broke trying to rescape it.  Since I read that high nitrites could stall the cycle, I'm going to do a 30% waterchange to bring the nitrites down a bit. 

I'll let the rock cure for another 7 days and will probably take another week to dry and rinse the rock before scaping and putting it in the tank again. 

I'll expect that putting the rock in will start another minicycle. Once the rock is in I'll start seeding the tank with MB7 and let it be for a couple of weeks while testing every 3 days or so. If the nitrites remain above 4/5 ppm i'll combat that with a water change whenever nessecary. 

• 2 weeks later...

Scape 2.0 is in the tank! 

Just in time before we start some reconstruction on our house. Now the tank can cycle a bit more without me fiddling with the rock and sand.Cycling process is going fairly well. Had a really high nitrite spike of >5ppm, so I did a 30% WC a week ago. 

Hope the bio spheres did their thing and putting the rock in won't cause a big cycle again. I probably keep on ghost feeding every couple of days or so, just to make sure the tank can handle the bioload of a pair of clowns.

Ordered a custom acryllic top from Reeftops UK, a Tunze 9001 skimmer and a auto aqua smart ato micro. With that the build is pretty complete gearwise untill I need a doser. 

Foto 10-03-2020 11 48 46.jpg

Foto 10-03-2020 11 45 06.jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, devaji108 said:

maybe I missed it but why did you change the scape?

Wanted to drill the back piece of the old one so the whole scape could move a bit backwards. Broke the entire thing in two.

It was broken so straight and unnatural,I couldn't fix it anymore. not in a way that looked even halfway decent. So I just took it out and started over.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So the tank has been cycled for over a week now.

Sadly, due to the global pandemic my order of designer clowns has been delayed untill further notice. 

I may just visit a couple of LFS' to see what's in stock as I would like to let the tank stabelize around 2 clowns for a couple of weeks before beefing up the light and adding coral. 

• Like 1
On 3/23/2020 at 2:01 PM, SliceGolfer said:

Nice start. Are you concerned at all about the stand? Appears the top is flexing. Could just be the angle of the photo.

Yeah the angle exaggerates it. It still has some archive from work in it but I will re-enforce it once I've sorted all that out.

So, trough a friend I got in touch with a fish store who had a small pair of Wyoming clowns in stock. 
So glad to finally see some movement in the tank! Still thinking about how to name them. 

Now to just follow the plan of letting the thank mature around the livestock for a couple of more weeks before adding coral. 

With all the internet coral sellers popping op, this will be a dificult task I imagine haha. 

Foto 24-03-2020 14 04 50.jpg

• Like 2
SliceGolfer
1 hour ago, Daan6661 said:

So, trough a friend I got in touch with a fish store who had a small pair of Wyoming clowns in stock. 
So glad to finally see some movement in the tank!

Good looking pair of Clowns. Those would look great in my tank 😉

• Like 1
On 3/24/2020 at 5:06 PM, SliceGolfer said:

Good looking pair of Clowns. Those would look great in my tank 😉

They probably still ship them within the states haha. 

On 3/24/2020 at 4:26 PM, debbeach13 said:

Very nice clowns!

Yeah I keep imagining the contrast of the white next to all the colorfull corals. Can't wait haha.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, picoreef78 said:

Lovely pair! Good luck holding out on coral. How do you like the tank so far?

Love the tank, though I preffered it to be bigger haha.. but then it would be a chore taking it home on summer break when I'm not in the office for a couple of weeks. 

I like the way they shaped the tank, makes it look bigger than it actually is. 

I also like they Included  anATO, even though I changed it for a Auto Aqua smart micro ATO (which is awesome btw) because the included one didn't last trough the weekend. 

I'll post an update about the upgrades I made soon. Didn't come around to it yet.

So with no additions to the livestock for the upcoming couple of weeks I thought it might be a good time to update on the upgrades I made to the tank.

First I added a Mp10 powerhead, then bought a Auto Aqua smart micro ATO with a 3,5 gallon container. Lasts me for about 2 weeks.

I replaced the stock-skimmer which was noisy as hell for the Tunze 9001 skimmer. At the stock waterheight in the sump the magnet wasn’t strong enough so I raises the waterheight a bit. Now it’s snug between the overflow and the nubs holding the og skimmer in place.

I also bought a coral lense from D&D.

Lastly I purchased a custom top from Reef Tops UK. I’m really happy with the way it turned out. 830201292_Foto01-04-2020121054.thumb.jpg.35ed5d4b2da55c584a99b50b32e68512.jpg

• Like 1

So tested my salinity today prior to a wc like I always do, turned out my refractometer was way off after recalibrating it last week. Salinity was 1.035, so I immediately pulled out some saltwater and added ro, lowered it a bit. Going to do this a couple of times for the next few days. Hope the fish are okay. 

Also ordered a hannah digital salinity checker without a second thought haha. 

I have one of those and it works great! I just purchased the alkalinity checker. Testing it with my RedSea kit and so  far consistently has been <0.1 DKA of each other 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, picoreef78 said:

I have one of those and it works great! I just purchased the alkalinity checker. Testing it with my RedSea kit and so  far consistently has been <0.1 DKA of each other 

Good to hear! Once I have coral I’ll buy the kh checker too 🙂

So, look who finally decided to show up..

1305567843_Foto06-04-2020074942.thumb.jpg.82e89c17a1d75de6bc7183e97ffc8885.jpg

Had the lights on pretty dim since introducing the clowns. Before the weekend I increased the intensity a bit and just as I thought, diatoms appeard. 

I guess it's just part of having a new tank 🙂

Hannah salinity checker came in and I have to say, it works like a charm. Calibrating is easy and the read-out is instantaniously. 

Very clever of them to include a temp probe too which makes it the ultimate wc-tool.

677272821_Foto06-04-2020075208.thumb.jpg.620a140b7858d740115cf8ef20e221f3.jpg

• Like 1

A bit off topic but the construction project on the house is coming to an end.

This is were the home tank is going to be placed. View from the dining table and kitchen. Dimensions will be 6,5 ft x 35 inches deep and 28 inches high. With a remote sump, 2 deticated electrical circuits and a drain in the fishroom / garage.

Can’t wait to set this bad boy up. 

FA380F80-98B4-477B-A6E1-428AD0404D5C.thumb.jpeg.4eefe7b0604919946a7886c0052c1a93.jpeg

EC008DA4-D800-4D02-AD53-91D2AB61F7D2.thumb.jpeg.848c2a77e279710ca914a44f96def33a.jpeg

• Like 3

^heck yeah I have been doing a reno on a while house that we bought...one thing lead to another a year later we are still working on it. 😞 so I know the feeling of getting excited for the big tank.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, devaji108 said:

^heck yeah I have been doing a reno on a while house that we bought...one thing lead to another a year later we are still working on it. 😞 so I know the feeling of getting excited for the big tank.

Haha! We're expecting our second daughter by the end of june, so we didn't have time to do anything off schedule 😛. Almost done though, we're moving back in next week.