ReefCleaners.org

Zoanthid troubleshooting- how long to give changes to take effect?

Tired

I'm currently in the process of figuring out where my zoas like to be in my tank. My question is, how long do I give them to adjust?

Say I put a zoanthid in one spot, and it stays shut. How long do I give it before I decide "okay, it doesn't like this spot", as opposed to it just needing a bit to get used to the change? 

They're pretty hardy and should open up pretty much anywhere you put them with some light. General rule is to keep them on the bottom portion of the tank. They should just open up pretty much right away from my experience. 

My zoas are finally starting to open after 5 or 6 weeks. I find medium light works.  Not sure what lighting you have but the colors may improve or not if the light is gradually increased. Different varieties respond differently.

GetPsyched2124

It's pretty tough to tell sometimes. if you can rule out obscure parameters, lighting isn't too intense, it's not getting blasted by water, or no pests/livestock picking or running over them, it could still take weeks for them to open up.

I had a small zoa colony that took half of the polyps about 3-4 months to open up. the only reason i didn't move them was because i positioned the rock to where most of the open polyps were facing the front of the tank so that i wasn't constantly looking at closed polyps.

I asked the same question and didn't really get a straight answer so I still don't know.  What I do know, is I just put mine where I wanted them.  One batch took a few weeks to open up, but it wasn't fully.  I could just see the center.  It took about another month for them to fully open.  Now they open fully all the time.  The other batch took over a month, I had them on the sand bed, but they kept getting covered in algae so I put them up on a small rock.  The funny thing is they moved off the center of the rock, they are now all around the edges and a small colony hung on a "string" still they hit the floor.  The ones on the sand bed are a little shaded and are getting a hint of color.  So they moved themselves where they wanted to be.

So I guess I would give it a month or so.  Someone told me as long as they weren't shrinking they are fine.

Good luck!  Zoas are CRAZY!!