Coral Vue Hydros

New birds nest polyps no color? Help? First sps

Mmotux

29 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

When was it added to the tank? 

What kind of lighting was it under? Was it very blue light?

What are your phos and nitrates at?

Nitrates are damn near 0. And added yesterday. And yes under blue lights. But it was like a radeon or something from the store. So I figured mine was way less powerful. A stock bike cube 16 with the led coralife light. Is what I have. 

The birdsnest will look different under your light to a radion, especially if the light was heavy blue.

It also needs time to acclimate to your tank before it fully opens.

You need to ensure you have phos and nitrates in the tank, ita very important for coral health.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

The birdsnest will look different under your light to a radion, especially if the light was heavy blue.

It also needs time to acclimate to your tank before it fully opens.

You need to ensure you have phos and nitrates in the tank, ita very important for coral health.

Ok I have diy refugium so I’ll just feed a lottt hahah. 

9 minutes ago, Mmotux said:

so it’s been a few days. The birds nest itself is green and pink. The polyps are brown though. Or look brown. So is it my light? 

looks like a ponape birdnest.  their polyps are generally blah in colors, kinda dark contrasting to the branch.  you can do a google image search to compare.  if you're getting the pink and green on the body, that's good.  

the good color birdnest is ORA bird of paradise, where you'll get rich purple polyps.  

I believe the pink birdsnest like higher light and the green birdsnest like lower light. I have my green birdsnest 1/3 up from sandbed under a prime. BUT slowly acclimate it to your light and research you specific birdsnest. It does look like ponape birdsnest.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:45 AM, Mmotux said:

Ok I have diy refugium so I’ll just feed a lottt hahah. 

If the refugium is growing macro, then it might be the cause of the low nutrient condition.

If that's case, throttle back the refugium lighting or maybe even remove the macro algae altogether until it's really needed later on. 

If scaling back the filtration doesn't help THEN increase feeding.   Until then, just make sure you're feeding your fish well, but don't overfeed anything.

IMO dosing nitrates and phosphates in liquid form would be a preferable way to raise nutrients if there's still and issue after scaling down filtration AND maximizing fish feeding....but that should be very unlikely unless you have almost no fish to feed.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:30 PM, mitten_reef said:

looks like a ponape birdnest.  their polyps are generally blah in colors, kinda dark contrasting to the branch.  you can do a google image search to compare.  if you're getting the pink and green on the body, that's good.  

the good color birdnest is ORA bird of paradise, where you'll get rich purple polyps.  

Ponape birdsnest is my favorite 😭

• Like 1