Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help identify ammonia level, etc. (using API freshwater master?)

Leo.LA

I have a API freshwater master test kit that I bought back in 2017/2018, but the expiration in the bottles are still good.

I just set up my nano tank (Fluval evo 13.5g)

• RO/DI water
  • 10lbs of live rock (real reef) from LFS which is supposedly cured but the guy said "I would still cure it to not blame the store" but I transported it in a bucket with water and saw some pods
  • Bio-Spira (Instant Ocean Nitrifying Bacteria
  • A snail and hermit crab
  • No fish or corals yet

Based on my research, it looks like I can reuse this kit for saltwater (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates) for the most part, but the color card is different. I've seen different card by googling it so not sure which is correct. I also don't know if I can test my pH level using the high-range? 

Today is now the 4th day and the ammonia color is making me insane since I do not have the color card for the saltwater.

Attached are the pics. I tried getting pics from different angle and lighting but I think what I got is very close in person. 

yellowish/greenish - ammonia

blue - nitrite

light orange - nitrate

purple/violet - high range pH

If I am going to interpret this using the freshwater card, it's looking like

ammonia - either 0 but most close to 0.25ppm

nitrite - 0 ppm

nitrates - 5-10ppm

ph - 8.4

I'm hoping someone who has the correct color card can compare with theirs. Thanks for the help!

Ammonia4.jpg

Ammonia3.jpg

Ammonia2.jpg

Ammonia1.jpg

nitrite.jpg

ph2.jpg

ph.jpg

Nitrate3.jpg

Nitrate2.jpg

Nitrate1.jpg

API is notoriously unreliable, due in part to the difficulty in reading. Trying to get someone to read it over the Internet is NOT going to work, due to color differences in monitors. It's not even an accurate kit when you have the card right there and can put the test tube up against it. 

You need to get a better test kit. What you're attempting is clever, but not going to work. 

If you know you have good bacteria (from the rock and bottle), and you have nitrates but no nitrites, it's a reasonable bet that your ammonia is 0. If the snail and hermit are moving around appropriately, that's another good indicator. 

Yellow means 0 ammonia. Any green means there is ammonia present.

Checking the tubes against the white part of the card in natural light is the best way to determine the colors. 

• Like 2