Innovative Marine Aquariums

On 2/4/2020 at 10:08 PM, Diamonds x Pearls said:

I used to be friends with a female two-spot octopus at the California Science Center a few years ago. She was somewhat interested in the stainless steel ring on my middle finger so I made it a queue for feeding time. She got smart and just waited for the smell of thawed green mussel.

To feed her, I used a feeding stick. It was made from the stick part of an aquarium scraper and super glued the pointy tip of a zip tie. In fact, this silly contraption was used to feed anything we needed to target feed: baby sharks, rays, flatfishes.

I'm thinking a bamboo skewer can work pretty well...Just don't poke her.

Down the road, Not a bad idea to give her a toy for enrichment.

Everything I’ve read about two spot octopuses make them sound awesome! I somewhat wish I had decided to set up a larger set up and gone with one of them instead. Oh well! I definitely plan on adding enrichment, but at the moment he is spending almost all of his time (including at night) in his hiding place, and he shows very little interest in anything. I’m hoping I didn’t get him too far along in his life that he’s now nearing the end. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I found the octopus dead about a week ago. I tested alk, salinity, and a few other parameters and all were normal and unchanged. I suppose it’s possible that I didn’t do anything wrong, but I still feel pretty guilty. I think it is likely he died of old age. I would like to have another octopus but I’m thinking I might prefer to set up a larger tank so that I can go with a longer lived species. 

• Sad 7