Coral Vue Hydros

new tank cycling

pippol1

I have a 32 gal. nano bio cube reef tank started Jan 9th put fish in on the 14 th . two weeks in the water chemistry was perfect ,now the levels are higher ammonia about 0.50 and nitrites about 0.25 .this is after I did a 25% water change in tank. how do I bring the levels down? is the only way through a water change?

Are there any nitrates present? if you put fish in 5 days after you started the tank then the tank did not have enough beneficial bacteria to consume waste from inhabitants of the tank. The levels your seeing now are most likely your tank cycling and adjusting to the additional waste from new inhabitants. Cycling usually will last from 4-6+ weeks from my understanding theres no way your tank was cycled and ready for fish after 5 days. 

The only way to have a fast to no cycle is with liverock, good established liverock.

Unfortunately adding fish before or during a cycle isn't the best thing to do, it's very hard on the fish.

The only way to reduce ammonia will be with frequent waterchanges, most likely daily.

On 2/2/2020 at 11:24 AM, pippol1 said:

I have a 32 gal. nano bio cube reef tank started Jan 9th put fish in on the 14 th . two weeks in the water chemistry was perfect ,now the levels are higher ammonia about 0.50 and nitrites about 0.25 .this is after I did a 25% water change in tank. how do I bring the levels down? is the only way through a water change?

Adding a bottle of Instant Ocean BioSpira should solve the problem permanently....usually it's supposed to be added just before adding the fish. 

FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BOTTLE IF YOU TRY IT.  Folks often think they know better and fail to follow the directions....using it is not complicated, but possible to do wrong.