Top Shelf Aquatics

Best AIO setup? Step up from BioCube 32?

Bedowyn

Hi.  Hello.  So we are going to try this "setup our first Nano Reef" again.  Third time starting the discussion in 8 years.  And we have yet to pull the trigger.

I have a budget of $1k to setup a nano reef.  I will be trying to do things properly.  Presuming nothing, moving slowly, deliberately.  Ideally, I will find a local storefront to partner with.   But my very first job - the very first thing I want to ask about and research - is what kind of Aquariums are options?

So I have studied and studied the Bio Cubes.  Or at least I did a few years ago.  I gather somethings have changed - LED lights - but for the most part, I assume they are largely the same. And I understand the top of the line is currently 32 gallons.  And they are still a "all in one" unit, with filtration built in to the back wall.  Nice, complete and polished look.  I still like all of this.

But I wonder what the new hotness is?  What is better?  What is available that might be one notch up, either in size or quality?  What can I do with my budget?  I am told that some setups now include cabinets, and are integrated into them?  

Where do I start looking?  Browsing?  Thoughts?  Thanks!!!

Thrassian Atoll

I would say the best options right now are innovative marine, Waterbox, redsea.  Biocubes haven’t really been the go to for many years in my opinion.  Can’t really go wrong with the 3 companies I mentioned.

Innovative Marine and Red Sea are very popular.

Red sea isn't an all in one whereas most of the IM's are.

Biocubes are popular with some but the stock lighting isn't the greatest and curved edges are not favoured by some.

• Like 1

"Newer" is rarely "better" except by very narrow definitions.  IMO "hotness" is something to be avoided, not quested for, more often than not...things that make for good husbandry haven't really changed.

Nothing wrong with any of the options listed, but none of them are perfect either.

IMO if you like the BioCube, you should get a BioCube....forget what everyone else likes.  😉

On 2/10/2020 at 1:57 AM, mcarroll said:

"Newer" is rarely "better" except by very narrow definitions.  IMO "hotness" is something to be avoided, not quested for, more often than not...things that make for good husbandry haven't really changed.

Nothing wrong with any of the options listed, but none of them are perfect either.

IMO if you like the BioCube, you should get a BioCube....forget what everyone else likes.  😉

I agree with this. I went through the same thing 8 years ago now and must say I'm glad I went with a BioCube 29g. I now have had it for 8 years and have set up, re-setup a few times and it still looks great. No leaks, versatile, and very mod friendly. 

• Like 1