Cultivated Reef

Pumpkin’s 20g Red Sea Max Nano

UpsideDownPumpkin

UpsideDownPumpkin

Totally forgot to post pictures of the new coral;

Green Frogspawn (tips are actually lilac not blue), it’s just the evening lighting) and Lilac Torch.

Also noticed that even though the Xenia is dying, underneath some GSP or similar (purple strands, green centres but not feathered like clove polyps) seems to be taking off. 

Going to glue down the pink Kenya tree tonight I think. It keeps falling and it’s only luck that it hasn’t landed in a torch yet.

D81BACB3-2F7F-4265-9A2D-CE53E1D28B19.jpeg

0A321B1A-9667-4DC9-B0BF-0CD4D65B3285.jpeg

BACE369D-1FCD-476E-885E-1A55734395D7.jpeg

UpsideDownPumpkin

So while doing the weekly top down inspection of the tank I noticed some life that I hadn’t noticed before growing on a hammer skeleton - a mushroom. So my best guess is it’s the baby from the iron man rock - two babies went walking leaving momma mushroom on the rock (now in tank 2). It’s looking super pale and still tiny so I’m going to rest it a few days before moving it to tank two where the other shrooms are much happier. 

I also noticed some more hitchhiker biodiversity that I need to ID. I saw the bristleworm again. I also have some pretty giant pods that are just chilling in daylight (guess they’re too big now for my six line to eat). And some weird almost hair like stuff growing out of the sand. I think it’s a worm of some sort that I need to ID but have a photo anyway.

Other photo is the newly rediscovered shroom and then the iron man momma for comparison. 

Only other shrooms in the tank (somewhere) are neon green or blue so I don’t think it’s them.

8BC409D1-7E68-498E-AA15-40D83A641C40.jpeg

3B0D51B2-A9F8-44DA-896C-8F421442BDD3.jpeg

53523F96-E2A8-4DD4-8276-46EED0CACBFC.jpeg

• 1 month later...
UpsideDownPumpkin

Sorry to go quiet, another lockdown hit and the 20g has mostly been chugging along as usual. 

The sad news is I lost the two small heads on that strange hammer/frogspawn one, it never did look happy like the rest. The big head on it though is still alive and seems to be doing ok. I’ve had quite a lot of growth on my lilac torch and my Kenya trees, but other than that, not a lot to report. The green tree seems to have a sponge growing on its rock so that’s a nice interesting hitchhiker. 

I moved all the Zoas over to the 30g where they are growing better, I think it’s the sheer strength of the Viparspectra behind that because I had to swap out the GSP to this tank as it was never out and shrinking away from the light. 

Lastly, I just wanted to mark that it’s nearly been a year wet for this tank. While it may not look like amazing progress, I’ve learned a lot and it’s feels a lot more settled. That’s good enough for me!

(Excuse the fallen soldier, crab knocked him over and putting him back will make the other coral shrink so for the sake of the photo, he’s resting)

3359B3ED-8708-4485-8E83-F65AFC0F9BA4.jpeg

• Haha 1
UpsideDownPumpkin

Did a little bit of coral shopping yesterday and picked up three pieces, all chilling in this tank at the moment; I suck at IDing in this store because nothing is labelled but the manager there told me I chose an acan and a favia. I also got some clove polyps and a fire shrimp. 

I’ll try and get some photos after work!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
UpsideDownPumpkin

Moved things around the other day in the torch garden, woke up to what I assumed was hermit rampage destruction of everything that wasn’t nailed down... nope! Turns out my male clown was trying out corals to host. He’s settled, of course, on my baby green torch! I’m hoping it doesn’t mind, so far it’s still extended, though it’s still far too small for him to sit comfortably in. 

4A981B73-6964-490F-AA14-BD6D7D0B5076.jpeg

• Like 1
UpsideDownPumpkin

Following a week of some very unhappy Euphyllia, I purchased a green BTA for him. Hopefully he likes it because my torches really hate him at the moment...