Innovative Marine Aquariums

Recommendation - AIO setup??? Better than BIOCube32?

Bedowyn

Hi.  Hello.  So we are going to try this "setup our first Nano Reef" again.  Third time starting the discussion in 8 years.  And we have yet to pull the trigger.

I have a budget of $1k to setup a nano reef.  I will be trying to do things properly.  Presuming nothing, moving slowly, deliberately.  Ideally, I will find a local storefront to partner with.   But my very first job - the very first thing I want to ask about and research - is what kind of Aquariums are options?

So I have studied and studied the Bio Cubes.  Or at least I did a few years ago.  I gather somethings have changed - LED lights - but for the most part, I assume they are largely the same. And I understand the top of the line is currently 32 gallons.  And they are still a "all in one" unit, with filtration built in to the back wall.  Nice, complete and polished look.  I still like all of this.

But I wonder what the new hotness is?  What is better?  What is available that might be one notch up, either in size or quality?  What can I do with my budget?  I am told that some setups now include cabinets, and are integrated into them?  

Where do I start looking?  Browsing?  Thoughts?  Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the BioCube 32 LED and love it.  Upgraded the tray in back to inTank media baskets and it has done well. (although I haven't done the best job taking care of it for the last 6 months).

Reef.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
whisnantrider

The Innovative Marine tanks have been great aio tanks for me. The people over at Waterbox are awesome though! Another good one is Fijicube! They have good communication and some unique, very well thought out, products. You really wouldn't go wrong with either, in my opinion. 

I also had a Biocube and JBJ RL-45, which were good tanks but the IM quality seems much better and more thought definitely went into the filtration areas.

Unfortunately I have no experience with waterbox products but their communication answering all of my questions, responding to folks on forums and support of the hobby in general are top notch! I feel that says a lot, especially when several companies i reached out to didn't even acknowledge my inquiries. 

I have a Biocube 32.  Personally I feel limited in what I can do.  I have retrofitted the LED lighting so I can house whatever corals I want.  There arent any viable skimmer options IMO.  They certainly arent as sexy as the new rimless AIO's from Innovative Marine and Waterbox..or Red Sea for that matter. Pretty much the only thing I really like about it is low evaporation rates because of the lid. But for the price of admission you can certainly set up a thriving reef. The stock filtration is bunk IMO.  You are best served buying inTank media racks, and you are limited in what corals you can have with stock lighting.  

But as a starter they are fine.  Personally I really like Red Sea aquariums.  They cost more but you get what you pay for. I would check out the Red Sea Nano max.  Its a little more expensive than your 1k budget. But worth it IMO

$1k budget.. .does that include all equipments like pump, lights, etc?  If so, throw waterbox and red sea out.  They are expensive.  IMO, biocubes are meh...a relic from the past.  Your best bet is to look for an used setup.  You should be able to get an used IM 25 with stand for $300 - $400.  Add a light for $200 - $300, pump for $50, misc stuff for $100 and you have some $$ leftover for livestock.  

• Like 2

Pretty much echo what others said and prefer IM or Waterbox. I don't think red sea lives up to the cost unless you go with a sump. Their AIO is an afterthought imo. 

I can still respect those that like biocubes. Some people really don't like light spill or it's hard on their eyes or want to keep small children out or from looking at the LEDs and a biocube works great for that.

• Like 1

I guess Jake at ReefBuilders and the reviews at Bulk Reef Supply regarding the Red Sea Reefer Nano don't speak to you Tamberav.  Jake decided to choose the Red Sea Reefer as his tank for testing out AIO nanos and also reviewed the light that came with it (the Red Sea LED similar to the AI Prime) in a positive light.  The system includes a cabinet, a 'sump' (the back compartment is considered its 'sump' and pretty well thought out I might add), a skimmer, an ato and the Red Sea light leaving sand, rock and inhabitants to buy.

It seems a little more than an afterthought.  I imagine you have been in these forums for a while Tameberav but your 'respect' for products or other reefers really isn't what is being asked here..

https://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/max-aquarium-systems/max-nano/

Uhh they asked for an opinion on AIOs and I gave one. 

I think for the price is meh. The skimmer isn't great and can be loud... and the power bank will limit you if you want to do changes and the ATO needs a bigger reservoir.

It's like a nicer biocube in that it will look well put together and everything hidden and sleek but you definitely give up the ability to really pick premium equipment. That's the main reason waterbox and IM are so popular.

I'm sure some of these things would not bother others or they may not see it as a problem just like some love and some dislike a biocube. 

I read reef builders products and like getting the early scoop on things but I also realize it is marketing too.

• Like 2
mitten_reef
4 hours ago, jeffmr4 said:

I guess Jake at ReefBuilders and the reviews at Bulk Reef Supply regarding the Red Sea Reefer Nano don't speak to you Tamberav.  Jake decided to choose the Red Sea Reefer as his tank for testing out AIO nanos and also reviewed the light that came with it (the Red Sea LED similar to the AI Prime) in a positive light.  The system includes a cabinet, a 'sump' (the back compartment is considered its 'sump' and pretty well thought out I might add), a skimmer, an ato and the Red Sea light leaving sand, rock and inhabitants to buy.

It seems a little more than an afterthought.  I imagine you have been in these forums for a while Tameberav but your 'respect' for products or other reefers really isn't what is being asked here..

https://www.redseafish.com/aquarium-systems/max-aquarium-systems/max-nano/

looks like you're confusing Reefer Nano (discontinued) with the MAX Nano.  Reefer series come with a true sump, and yes MAX has the rear sump and is what most would refer to as AIO.  and I'm sure the MAX series has plenty of its own followings.

I recall seeing that article by Jake calling Reefer an AIO and had to scratched my head - other than the fact the he sort of clarified his AIO definition in that the display, stand, sump & plumbing all come in one package deal, ready for plug&play.   But it's far from the typical AIOs us nano-reefers are accustomed to with the likes of IM Fusion series, waterbox and Biocubes.   

4 hours ago, jeffmr4 said:

I imagine you have been in these forums for a while Tameberav but your 'respect' for products or other reefers really isn't what is being asked here..

This part is truly what got me to reply.  Just as much as your excitement and enthusiasm about red sea isn't being asked for here by the OP, try not to go overboard with your comment just because she wants to acknowledged that there are other reefers out there that have had success with their biocubes - at least, that's how I read her statement.  she didn't even quote your comment to contradict anything you said....not sure why you singled out her statement.  we were all here to share our opinion about the products, were we not?  

mitten_reef,

the MAX nano was the one I was referring to.  And to be honest I'm not excited nor enthusiastic about it.  It was just a system that looked good and close to what Bedowyn was looking for.  Not a big deal.  

What got me about Tamberav's statement was that it was denigrating to me when she said in summary the Red Sea box is an afterthought followed immediately by I can respect people that like biocubes.  ?  That's rude and dis-'respect'ful.  You may not have been here too long but some people have a history with others and a number have made denigrating remarks towards me in the past for entertainment or to follow the nano-reef 'clique'.  I have a few other names I could call what goes along with the 'clique' but I will leave that for others to see.  So, I appreciate your concern but this really isn't your fight.

I additionally will mention the post I made quite a while ago about led lights and different color leds having an important function for corals other than 'pop'.  Tamberav and many others here were in on that.  Ironically, they later found that I was right, which I commented on and later Christopher Marks took down the post.  I believe people should be respectful of others and while stating your opinion about something is ok, misrepresenting the facts and being dis-respectful to other members is not.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jeffmr4 said:

mitten_reef,

the MAX nano was the one I was referring to.  And to be honest I'm not excited nor enthusiastic about it.  It was just a system that looked good and close to what Bedowyn was looking for.  Not a big deal.  

What got me about Tamberav's statement was that it was denigrating to me when she said in summary the Red Sea box is an afterthought followed immediately by I can respect people that like biocubes.  ?  That's rude and dis-'respect'ful.  You may not have been here too long but some people have a history with others and a number have made denigrating remarks towards me in the past for entertainment or to follow the nano-reef 'clique'.  I have a few other names I could call what goes along with the 'clique' but I will leave that for others to see.  So, I appreciate your concern but this really isn't your fight.

I additionally will mention the post I made quite a while ago about led lights and different color leds having an important function for corals other than 'pop'.  Tamberav and many others here were in on that.  Ironically, they later found that I was right, which I commented on and later Christopher Marks took down the post.  I believe people should be respectful of others and while stating your opinion about something is ok, misrepresenting the facts and being dis-respectful to other members is not.

I don't believe to be a part of any clique even though I have been around a long time. The biocube thing was more of a separate thought because of so many posts that disliked it. I was more or less hinting for the OP to consider light spill and children and if a hood would be needed as it has the unique feature of a what is basically a canopy. No offense was intended but text often does not convey the right emotions. It was just a quick post with maybe poor choice of words. 

I brought up the red sea because I had one before and went to go look at a max and a reefer (and bought the reefer) not because of your post specifically. I also had a Aquapod before which is similar to a biocube. Ultimately the only tank I was happy enough with to keep was a IM25g 😛

I have an IM lagoon 25g and love it!! Great dimensions, more shallow than a cube. I didn't get a stand, mine is on my kitchen counter 🙂 I have an AI prime HD and it's perfect (my tank is a soft coral tank, with some RFA and gorgonians) Now they sell the lagoon with a stronger return pump, a caddy and the lid. I find Red sea way too expensive. Waterbox is interesting, but gets expensive with the stand. Biocube can get hot because there's not much air circulation. I have no issue keeping my temp around 78-80. I just turn on the AC when it gets too gross outside hahaha (like 30 feels like 40 celcius lol) Here's a pic of my tank. Kinda crappy pic...goes with my cellphone camera quality I guess lol. Don't mind the sand bed my yellow watchman goby pair and their pistol shrimp like to rearrange the "décor" pretty much every day lol

And people arguing about kids and lids. I have 2 little ones and a 3rd one on the way and never had an issue with them staring at the light (it's so bright they just look away) or putting their hands in the tank. Just like I taught them not to pull the cat's tail, I just told them hands off the tank...or the clownfish will bite you anyway 😂

20200604_133038.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Melfy77 said:

I have an IM lagoon 25g and love it!! Great dimensions, more shallow than a cube. I didn't get a stand, mine is on my kitchen counter 🙂 I have an AI prime HD and it's perfect (my tank is a soft coral tank, with some RFA and gorgonians) Now they sell the lagoon with a stronger return pump, a caddy and the lid. I find Red sea way too expensive. Waterbox is interesting, but gets expensive with the stand. Biocube can get hot because there's not much air circulation. I have no issue keeping my temp around 78-80. I just turn on the AC when it gets too gross outside hahaha (like 30 feels like 40 celcius lol) Here's a pic of my tank. Kinda crappy pic...goes with my cellphone camera quality I guess lol. Don't mind the sand bed my yellow watchman goby pair and their pistol shrimp like to rearrange the "décor" pretty much every day lol

And people arguing about kids and lids. I have 2 little ones and a 3rd one on the way and never had an issue with them starting at the light (it's so bright they just look away) or putting their hands in the tank). Just like I taught them not to pull the cat's tail, I just told them hands off the tank...or the clownfish will bite you anyway 😂

20200604_133038.jpg

That is good information, I see people mention canopy's a lot with children and wasn't sure if all my LED's would be bothersome.

My naughty cats won't keep their paws out of my tanks and forced me to buy custom lids. 🙄

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Hralp..phone..what are you doing..

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

My naughty cats won't keep their paws out of my tanks and forced me to buy custom lids. 🙄

10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

That is good information, I see people mention canopy's a lot with children and wasn't sure if all my LED's would be bothersome.

Lol I'm lucky I guess my cats will sit by the tank and watch the fish but they haven't tried anything else...yet  hahaha.

• Like 1