Coral Vue Hydros

Will it survive?

justkeepitalive

justkeepitalive

To be honest I neglected my tank for a couple months and the result was algae on everything. I’ve since got rid of the algae and am nursing everything back to health. My question is how far gone does a zoa colony have to be before I should just give up on it? I used a toothbrush and got most the algae off and this is what I have. 

58DCC08A-7B0D-4222-816D-F21634630A41.jpeg

• Like 1

Toothbrushes can damage coral, it's best kept away from softies. 

If there's any zoa flesh left, it has a chance. Light it decently, don't keep the water pristine (they like a little nutrient), and see. It may grow a new sprout or two, or the original polyps may yet open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
justkeepitalive
On 2/3/2020 at 6:30 PM, Tired said:

Toothbrushes can damage coral, it's best kept away from softies. 

If there's any zoa flesh left, it has a chance. Light it decently, don't keep the water pristine (they like a little nutrient), and see. It may grow a new sprout or two, or the original polyps may yet open.

It seems to be coming back! Thanks for the toothbrush advice I’ve never used it before. 

6944CC56-B04E-47A5-AA0C-06D5A470499F.jpeg

Yep, there they go, they were just really upset. Disturb them as little as you can manage, and you should get some, if not all, back. 

Zoas (and, really, any other coral) typically aren't doomed until all the flesh is gone. Not unless the animal is badly diseased.