Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ratvan's Fluval Spec 3 - [THREAD CLOSED - LEAK]

Ratvan

7 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I know what it is, just cant see how it would help?

£25 for 2"x2" pads, GTFO

Yeah it’s expensive- you can get it on amazon too which is a little better. But it could maybe tell you what contaminate you have in the water.

11 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Yeah it’s expensive- you can get it on amazon too which is a little better. But it could maybe tell you what contaminate you have in the water.

I know it does medication but didn't thi k it did contaminants 

Supposedly it can pull out some heavy metals and other funky stuff. But I don't think it would be the foam, even thought the stuff spooks me, unless it has some whacky catalyst or something, my bet would be something in the concrete; is your pH and dkh normal by chance?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Tested the water and my phosphates have spiked? From 0.03 to 1.0

You sure that's 1.0 and not 0.1?   (Hard to tell in the photo....just double-checking.)

Either way that makes dino's unlikely.

I've never heard of anyone using contact cement in a reef....not even sure what material it is.  Folks use either epoxy, fiberglass or polyurethane as far as I know.....and epoxy is BY FAR the most popular.

Cement would be the most traditional though....just needs curing and it's perfect.

If you aren't running activated carbon (and it's not too late) then try that to get any offensive chemicals out of the water.....not a perfect solution, but IMO your best bet.  (Unless it's too late.)

I think you may have to reboot the foam wall.  Good idea.  But go with epoxy or cement (ie roman or portland) next time IMO.

(The algae looks like cyano to me, BTW....too red to be something else.)

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Supposedly it can pull out some heavy metals and other funky stuff. But I don't think it would be the foam, even thought the stuff spooks me, unless it has some whacky catalyst or something, my bet would be something in the concrete; is your pH and dkh normal by chance?

I shall check in about an hour, waiting in traffic. 

11 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

You sure that's 1.0 and not 0.1?   (Hard to tell in the photo....just double-checking.)

Either way that makes dino's unlikely.

I've never heard of anyone using contact cement in a reef....not even sure what material it is.  Folks use either epoxy, fiberglass or polyurethane as far as I know.....and epoxy is BY FAR the most popular.

Cement would be the most traditional though....just needs curing and it's perfect.

If you aren't running activated carbon (and it's not too late) then try that to get any offensive chemicals out of the water.....not a perfect solution, but IMO your best bet.  (Unless it's too late.)

I think you may have to reboot the foam wall.  Good idea.  But go with epoxy or cement (ie roman or portland) next time IMO.

(The algae looks like cyano to me, BTW....too red to be something else.)

Yeah 1. Hence name of photo 😁. Definitely darker than my usual 0.03 reading. 

Contact cement is a two part epoxy, just easier than saying epoxy. The foam is polyurethane so feel like I am safe there. 

I have a bag of carbon in the back, will replace it tonight. 

• Like 1

Great build!! Niceeee definitely following along! 

if you are sticking to SPS in this build I would definitely recommend a ton of flow! It will keep them nice and clean and will also help with the algae

also I see you are going through the ugly stage in my opinion there’s 2 cycles nitrogen and the the one that discourages most reefers algae cycles your tank is still out of balance and that’s when the algae kicks in you will see one rise another fall then a new pop up and eventually hair algae which if you keep you water source clean and steady will eventually have to battle it out with corals and other algae for nutrients and eventually die or be eaten 

if you used cement On your rocks they might be leaching something but you have an advantage with a pico reef do a 100% water change rinse and repeat but that might kick off your nitrogen cycle again since you will be getting rid of all that good bacteria on your water Column We do a cycle for but rocks can speed it up. 

good test coral and cheap are mushrooms and zoas, zoas can tolerate less but will show immediately if they are irritated by your water chemistry they won’t open mushrooms can be deceiving they are a bit too hardy sometimes

Man this must really p*#s you off!

looking at the photos it does not look like any of the MANY algae’s I have come across, but the bubbles would suggest an algae of sorts.

not sure what stock you have in there remaining? But my honest suggestion would be another big scrub, 70-80% water Change and then a 72hr total blackout period (no light, stick a big cardboard box over the tank). Once completed I would again scrub and do a smaller 20-30% water change. At this point dump in a bottle of DR tim’s one and only.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Picogoby said:

Man this must really p*#s you off!

looking at the photos it does not look like any of the MANY algae’s I have come across, but the bubbles would suggest an algae of sorts.

not sure what stock you have in there remaining? But my honest suggestion would be another big scrub, 70-80% water Change and then a 72hr total blackout period (no light, stick a big cardboard box over the tank). Once completed I would again scrub and do a smaller 20-30% water change. At this point dump in a bottle of DR tim’s one and only.

Actually I find this facinating (apart from my immortal Xenia - this, THIS boils my piss), currently thinking that it's nothing more than a cyano and diatom bloom, of some sort. It's not acting like anything major so not overly worried but would like some corals so I can measure growth. Worst case scenario my genus will be whatever the hell this is and well documented over the contest. Lol

Box is currently over tank for 3 days already so 🤷‍♂️. We will see what happens. 

On a budget so no Dr Tim's, not convinced by that type of thing to be honest but appreciate the input and suggestions. 

13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Actually I find this facinating (apart from my immortal Xenia - this, THIS boils my piss), currently thinking that it's nothing more than a cyano and diatom bloom, of some sort. It's not acting like anything major so not overly worried but would like some corals so I can measure growth. Worst case scenario my genus will be whatever the hell this is and well documented over the contest. Lol

Box is currently over tank for 3 days already so 🤷‍♂️. We will see what happens. 

On a budget so no Dr Tim's, not convinced by that type of thing to be honest but appreciate the input and suggestions. 

I’ve heard biospora works miracles.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Maybe the boiled piss might kill the Xenia....🤔

• Haha 3
Just now, Ratvan said:

And platys

Didn’t know the guppies and platys could adapt that’s cool. I think the guppies would actually be a neat thing to see.

• Thanks 1