Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kimpos

Almost eight months ago, I closed down a Red Sea Reefer 525 XL. I'm planning to build a new tank later this year, about 120-150l in size. But right now I couldn't stay away from the hobby, I had to start something and it became a vase on 8l / 2g. It's supposed to hold only zoa's and other soft corals. Maybe an euphyllia if I get the flow and light right, with only an air pump and cheap China LED. I don't know if 2g is maybe too small for sexy shrimps or a porcelain crab?

Here's a video from when I set it all up a week ago. Please feel free to give tips and suggestions on corals and inhabitants for this pico! 🙂

• Like 3

I had an anemone shrimp in my reef bowl for a short period of time. 

I think the 100% water changes were  hard on him and he didn’t last long. I know others have had success though.  I had zoas, euphyllia, and even a couple sps in mine. 

You would get more random and vigorous flow and less salt spray if you didn’t use the air stone. 

There are a lot of threads out there to use for stocking ideas as there was a jar/pico contest not too long ago. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

I had an anemone shrimp in my reef bowl for a short period of time. 

I think the 100% water changes were  hard on him and he didn’t last long. I know others have had success though.  I had zoas, euphyllia, and even a couple sps in mine. 

You would get more random and vigorous flow and less salt spray if you didn’t use the air stone. 

There are a lot of threads out there to use for stocking ideas as there was a jar/pico contest not too long ago. 

Thanks! I've heard some who made 100% wc and some who made 20-50% and all with success. I will probably not go with 100%, rather stick to 20-50 I think 🙂

I will probably put a lid on to prevent the salt spray form the bubbles. The bench where I keep the vase gets salt sprayed immediately.. But havn't found a streamer small enough to fit the vase.. I'll start with the air stone, maybe change in the future .

Yeah, the reef jar challenge inspired me to start this one! 🙂

• Like 1

Nice video!  If I ever did anything similar to this, I would probably just create a pest tank with live rock.  Pests are renowned for their survivability in harsh conditions so that would be perfect for a pico tank.  As for corals, I'd probably just do GSP or something similar that grows like crazy.  Maybe even Xenia or both.  And I'd get myself some crazy looking crabs and maybe one small fish.

• Like 1

Yes with less water change I’d say you’d be fine with sexy shrimp

or a porcelain crab. I have a porcelain crab in my 45 and he’s so cool waving his mitts around all the time trying to catch something to eat. 

A lid will definitely help with the salt spray and evaporation.

As long as your getting a good water churn with the air stone you’ll be fine. Looking forward to seeing with the light on it. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Yes with less water change I’d say you’d be fine with sexy shrimp

or a porcelain crab. I have a porcelain crab in my 45 and he’s so cool waving his mitts around all the time trying to catch something to eat. 

A lid will definitely help with the salt spray and evaporation.

As long as your getting a good water churn with the air stone you’ll be fine. Looking forward to seeing with the light on it. 

Thanks! I had a porcelain crab in my 525. Loved him, but then I got a snowflake moray for birthday and never saw that little guy again 😕

got the light just two days ago. I’ll build a stans for it tomorrow, as well as rescape to make room for corals. I’ll maybe make a video for that too 😁

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, limadiener said:

Wow that’s really amazing man, keep it up! I subscribed to your channel to follow the tank developing. Also, your editing skills are really good! 

Thank you very much! 😃

• 1 month later...

The vase is mostly going well, but my pink goniopora is sad. Usually not like this, but its never fully blooming. I know I Don’t have the best lighting or flow, but is that really necessary for this coral? My green goni is really happy. what may cause it?

0E3904F2-ADD7-4B50-84EF-C2E4F13A701C.jpeg

• Sad 1