Cultivated Reef

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

On 1/26/2021 at 12:10 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Many thanks to @kimberbee for all her continued help with this competition! :flower:

My mother passed away this weekend and I am preparing to travel cross country for the funeral. I will be away for the final competition days, but kimberbee will help us stay on track to finish on the 31st. I will be able to prepare the voting topics and final contestant list once I return next week.

It has been a crazy year for everyone, hopefully this tank competition has been a bright spot amidst it all. ❤️ 

So sorry to hear about your mother. 😢

It has been a difficult year. The tank competition has definitely been a bright spot to me, thank you for that. I was disappointed we didn’t all get to meet up at MACNA in Phoenix, but it has kept me going to have this community here. Despite our differences, we all have so many things in common, including our love of reefing. Always grateful, CM, for the work you’ve done to build and maintain this forum for us. 

Your loss is our loss... hugs. 💛💛💛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow the end is here. In many ways it was a long year - that darn covid-19. Besides messing with just about every ones day to day routine like a half day spent trying to find TP of all things it took its toll on this hobby. Obtaining livestock one way or another was more challenging then ever.  Lock down did how ever let us spend more time at home and for many the extra time with family had it's own reward. Any way another great contest plenty of wonderful tanks created and many sound like they will be enjoyed for the foreseeable future.  In some ways I wish it was not over.  Congratulations to all that gave it a shot. 

• Like 8
Christopher Marks

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and kind words, it has been a difficult few weeks.

My mom was a big supporter of this hobby, she bought me my first aquarium when I took an interest at age 10, and ferried me to countless local fish stores as my interest grew. She always loved to brag about this website her son had built, and all the people it brought together.

Sorry for the delay starting the final vote, I promise we will have a voting topic very soon so we can stay on track to have the final winners chosen in February.

Officially we have 17 people who completed their FTS and final summary requirements. I will be compiling a voting topic with everyone's tank journal summaries, and voting will begin once it is posted. If not mid-week, I will have it live for the weekend at the latest.

• Like 13
On 2/9/2021 at 5:41 PM, This guy is extra salty said:

17!!! 
wow 🤩 I think we started with 71? Or 72

good luck to all of you!!

except @Tigahboy still gets my first loser vote! 😜lol 

yeah I kinda dropped off...with the move and house reno not much was happening with my tank and thought updates where the same.

but the tank is still up and running :)

I'll have to catch up on  peoples tanks.  

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
Christopher Marks

Final Voting is now open! 🏁

Thanks everyone for your kind words and patience with me. Voting runs through Sunday March 7th!

We had 75 entries at the start of 2020, and 17 that officially made it to the very end, but it sure was a bumpy ride along the way. Not everything went according to plan this past year, but I hope everyone enjoyed the distraction of our fun little community competition. It has been fun to see all the all-in-one tanks that everyone has created, and I'm thrilled to see many of them will continue on past the contest.

Shoutout to @kimberbee for all her help managing this competition, I couldn't have done it without you! ❤️ 

• Like 9
Aqua Splendor
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

Final Voting is now open! 🏁

Thanks everyone for your kind words and patience with me. Voting runs through Sunday March 7th!

We had 75 entries at the start of 2020, and 17 that officially made it to the very end, but it sure was a bumpy ride along the way. Not everything went according to plan this past year, but I hope everyone enjoyed the distraction of our fun little community competition. It has been fun to see all the all-in-one tanks that everyone has created, and I'm thrilled to see many of them will continue on past the contest.

Awesome thank you Christopher, I will take the time to read their FTS paragraph text, then choose who voting for. There's some great tank in that pool.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Did I miss something somewhere, Has a winner been declared?

Not yet 2 more days. Click the voting link at the top of the screen and vote. Then you will see the results so far. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Not yet 2 more days. Click the voting link at the top of the screen and vote. Then you will see the results so far. 

I already voted, but I'll go check out the progress. Thanks

SaltyGallon
1 hour ago, McCune said:

We need to do another build contest this year. It was fun when I didn’t want to pull my hair out 

Definitely. If there's another one this year, I'm in! Not quite sure how I'll explain another tank to my other half though lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Aqua Splendor
3 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

Definitely. If there's another one this year, I'm in! Not quite sure how I'll explain another tank to my other half though lol

Wouldn't be fun to have a ... 1g challenge ? 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
3 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

Just use the phrase that never does me wrong, with the tank keeper. “Babe, don’t be mad...” 

Followed up with all the reasons she should be mad, but she can’t be because you started off the conversation with a term of endearment and to not be mad. In the coked up words of Charlie Sheen “Winning”. 

• Haha 2

I keep proposing a bucket challenge.

Not like this...

8.gif

But a 5 gallon bucket reef with a PAR38 bulb over it.  Nice and cheap; top down pics; something totally different.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, waldoz said:

Only prob with that, it wouldn't make it into the house. LoL

dreamstime_s_35802785.jpg

Then give the kids something to play with, so that they don't try to mug you for your bucket.

Ooh... you were referring to NoOneLikesADryTang's post, my bad. :lol:

• Haha 3
Christopher Marks

🏁 Congratulations to our 365 Day Nano Reef Challenge Winners! 🎉

Best Theme Tank @Tigahboy

Tigahboy’s SW Planted Tank Project - Three.Six.Five

DSC04844-2.thumb.jpg.8987ab56ea596c18e13fd082d49de6f5.jpg

Best Aquascape Design @Aqua Splendor

༺ ᴀq͎ᴜᴀ ꜱᴘʟᴇɴᴅᴏʀ - ɴᴀɴᴏ ʀᴇᴇꜰ ༻

Vhl0SjB.jpg

Best DIY Modification @SaltyGallon

365 Day Challenge: 1G Office Ocean

pic8.thumb.jpg.0841fedf17c66c7a92a48edfa721283b.jpg

🏆 Winners will receive a HYDROS Control 2 Aquarium Controller from community sponsor @CoralVue Aquarium Products! 🎉

HYDROS-Control-2-Aquarium-Controller-CoralVue.jpg

The all-new HYDROS Control by CoralVue allows you to monitor and control your aquarium like a pro, even if you’re a beginner just starting out. Track temperature, PH, ORP, water level, flow, leaks, outlets and more. Control pumps, timers, level sensors, dosers, fans, solenoids, switches, cabinet lighting, and whatever else you dream up. Check the health of your tank and take corrective action from anywhere using the HYDROS mobile app. Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth. Smart plugs. Color-coded ports and cables. Add accessories without having to connect extra modules and cords. HYDROS is a system you can grow with! The Control 2 and Control 4 can be used together and are compatible with the HYDROS WaveEngine.

HYDROS Control 2 Aquarium Controller Includes:

• Control 2 Head Unit
  • Power 4 WiFi Controllable 4-outlet Power Strip
  • Temperature Sensor

Hydros-Power-4-WiFi-Power-Strip-CoralVue.jpg

🎁 Bonus Awards from CM
A Nano-Reef T-Shirt & Sticker pack!

I'll reach out to all the winners via private message soon, hang tight!

• Like 10

This contest was a real kick starter for us! Thanks to everyone that put effort into this contest it was a lot of fun. 🙂  

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic