Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

58 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hey contestants! Just a friendly reminder to post your April full tank shots to your journals! ❤️ 

Thanks - do we have to label it as such, or does it count if we just have a FTS posted at some point during the month?

• Like 3
8 hours ago, banasophia said:

Thanks - do we have to label it as such, or does it count if we just have a FTS posted at some point during the month?

I’ve been labeling mine for each month just so there is no confusion, but I don’t believe you need to label it as such since there is a time stamp when you make a post to your journal entry.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, 505nano said:

Mines coming along lol having a little algae prob atm unfortunately. Also need to get the plugs off my coral 👌

IMG_20200430_163509.jpg

IMG_20200430_163456.jpg

Looks good, I have a bunch of algae in mine also. I Need to start getting rid of it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ef4life said:

Looks good, I have a bunch of algae in mine also. I Need to start getting rid of it.

Alot of my algae came in on my frag plugs I feel like. I was dosing a little bit of reef plus and trace minerals.. I probably need to back off a little lol

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
On 4/30/2020 at 8:10 AM, banasophia said:

As long as you've posted at least one FTS during the month, that will be counted.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
debbeach13
On 1/31/2020 at 10:11 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Competitors are required to post at least one monthly update to their 365 day challenge journal that will include a full tank shot photograph in order to remain eligible, at the bare minimum. Your build thread must also include the tag "365 Day Challenge", so that they are easy to locate on the forums. We all can understand that life gets in the way of our hobby sometimes, photo updates can be up to a week behind, but if you miss more than 2 monthly updates along the way, you will be disqualified.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Aqua Splendor

@Christopher Marks

I have an issue directly because of the Covid-19.
My tank is at work and since the beginning of the pendemic I'm not authorized to go at work.

Luckily there's no water inside, I Bought the Cabinet, and all the hardware but never started it.

So is it possible to temporary remove the rules of photos each month?

I'm going to start producing video about it, I made some footage of Brainstorm / Cabinet build / hardware on my channel.

To this date I still have no news when we are going back at work but I think 1st July have potential (pure guess)

• 3 weeks later...
ECLS Reefer
10 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Anyone else think this contest should be 6 months instead of 1 year?? 😅

You're gonna have to become an expert pruner between now and the end.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

You're gonna have to become an expert pruner between now and the end.

My tank is going to be wall to wall macroalgae by the end of this contest. 🤪

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
Just now, Tigahboy said:

My tank is going to be wall to wall macroalgae by the end of this contest. 🤪

but bright and vivid though.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

I know we have some competitors who have had their plans disrupted by COVID-19 shutdowns, and no doubt we've all had disruptions in life over the last three months. I've decided to give a pass to those aquariums that are missing their monthly full tank photos in March, April, or May, if those competitors would still like to stay in the running. Please update your journals and explain accordingly, once possible.

Thanks to everyone who has been able to keep up so far, it's wonderful to see your posted updates and progress!

We're all in this together, I'm glad we can find some solace in our shared hobby. I'm here if you have any questions. I hope everyone is hanging in out there, stay safe. ❤️ 

• Like 16
MainelyReefer
On 5/28/2020 at 2:59 PM, Tigahboy said:

How about we meet halfway and go for 9 months?

Those growing corals feel 1 year+, those trimming macros think 9 months

• Like 3
Aqua Splendor

And i'm like... dude my aquarium is not even operational yet, those bast*** cheating with plants 🤣
But it's a great topic/conversation. I do believe Reef need more time compare to Freshwater aquascape competition, otherwise it come who ever have mother colony and big pocket I think.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Those growing corals feel 1 year+, those trimming macros think 9 months

We continue to learn how to provide appropriate environments for keeping macros.  Journal threads about longer term "planted" marine environments helps to document this.  Being able to provide sustainable environments should be one of our objectives, even if we decide to change things up occasionally.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:41 PM, ef4life said:

Im down for making it longer, like 3 years

One year is actually a fairly short period of time.  It would be interesting see a contest that lasted 3 years.  However, the attrition of such a contest would be too great.  However, occasionally we see people maintain their contest tanks for several years after the contest is over, which is always nice to see.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, seabass said:

However, occasionally we see people maintain their contest tanks for several years after the contest is over, which is always nice to see.

That would be us 😁. The contest just hit us at the right time. It is slow going but I guess that's a good thing.  We already can't find a snail in our tank and been MIA for almost two days. 😂

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 2:12 PM, Christopher Marks said:

know we have some competitors who have had their plans disrupted by COVID-19 shutdowns, and no doubt we've all had disruptions in life over the last three months. I've decided to give a pass to those aquariums that are missing their monthly full tank photos in March, April, or May, if those competitors would still like to stay in the running. Please update your journals and explain accordingly, once possible.

Thanks to everyone who has been able to keep up so far, it's wonderful to see your posted updates and progress!

We're all in this together, I'm glad we can find some solace in our shared hobby. I'm here if you have any questions. I hope everyone is hanging in out there, stay safe. ❤️ 

I really hope some of the members that have not been able to make the monthly update take advantage of this and write an update even if they can't take a FTS.

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic